Elements of a Strong Guarantee:
The Three R's
We asked space ad copywriting pro (and Masters Student) Michael Samonek to let us in on some secrets to writing strong direct-response guarantees. Here's the result of our interview …
TGT: What would you say are the most important elements of a strong guarantee?
MS: There are three that I always use. Each of these elements is suggested by the letter "R", so they're easy to remember …
- Risk-free. Your guarantee must state, in black and white, that your customer's purchase is risk-free. These two words speak volumes about your confidence in your product.
- Refund Regardless of Reason. Your guarantee must convey to your prospect that his money will be returned quickly – for any reason whatsoever.
- Reign of guarantee. Tell your prospect exactly how long your product is covered by your guarantee. The longer the guarantee, the greater your response will be.
TGT: Tell us a little bit about the types of guarantees you use.
MS: There are four basic types of guarantees that I use in my ads. Each one eliminates one more level of risk – until the prospect can actually profit from returning the product!
- The Basic Guarantee. You simply offer the prospect his money back if he returns the product within a certain time period.
- The "Karbo" or "Pay-Only-If-It-Works" Guarantee. Now it starts to get interesting. This type of guarantee tells the prospect that he can try the product first – and then pay for it. Joe Karbo (its originator) made millions with this guarantee.
- The "Keep-All-the-Bonuses-Free" Guarantee. You let the prospect keep his free bonuses – even if he returns the product for a full refund. This technique works like a charm to increase response rates.
The "Better-Than-Money-Back" Guarantee. Not only do you guarantee satisfaction, you take it three steps further…
- The customer gets a 100% refund plus shipping costs.
- The customer keeps the unsatisfactory merchandise. (The only "but" is that they must give it to someone who can use it.)
- The customer gets $10.00!
This guarantee is great for high-ticket items. Use it, or a variation of it, with discretion.
TGT: Any other words of advice?
MS. Yes. Here's a bonus for you – a list of 10 "power phrases" to incorporate into your guarantees:
- No-risk trial offer.
- Unconditional money-back guarantee.
- No hassles – no long waiting.
- Guaranteed for life!
- 365-day guarantee.
- Double your money back.
- Send no money now.
- 100% money back plus $10.00 just for trying it.
- 100% money back, but you keep the free bonuses.
- Postdate your check for 31 days.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »