Finding the Key to a Successful Package: the U.S.P.
Every successful promotion must have a U.S.P. – a Unique Sales Proposition.
Of all the useful copywriting secrets, tips, techniques, and tricks that you have learned (and will continue to learn) none is more important than identifying a compelling U.S.P. Yet, few copywriters fully understand its power.
Simply put, the U.S.P. of your product is the one distinct, outstanding benefit that sets it apart from the competition. It's what makes your product unique.
Your U.S.P. answers the question, "Why should I order your product instead of your competitor's?" It's that "something special" that your prospect can't get anywhere else in the world.
If your potential customer wants to enjoy your product's benefit, you must make it plain and clear that your U.S.P. is available only from you.
AWAI Board Member John Forde recently created the following list of questions to help you identify any products U.S.P:
Five BIG QUESTIONS (and 30 small ones) To Ask Yourself About Your Product
Finding your Unique Selling Proposition is a simple in concept, difficult in practice. The below questions may help you get started. Ask yourself…
1. How is my product really different from the competition?
- Is the product of better quality? How so?
- What are the features of my product?
- Do I have more features?
- Do I have better features?
- How does my product's performance compare to the competition?
- How do we compete on price?
2. How clearly expressed are my benefits?
- Can I assign a number or a statistic to my promise to perform?
- Is there a time limit on the promise?
- How much larger is the promise than the promises of competitors?
3. How deep is my products personality?
- What is the personality of my promotional position?
- Is it consistent with the product?
- Is it engaging?
- Is it confident?
- Is it strong?
- Is it honest?
- Is it reliable (delivering on promises, etc?)
4. How can I beat my competition on customer service and fulfillment?
- How fast do your orders arrive?
- If it's an information product, do you offer e-mail delivery or online archives?
- Do you tell customers where/how to buy other products you recommend?
- Do you have a telephone hotline?
- What kind of satisfaction guarantee do you offer?
- What bonus gifts come with the product?
- Do the premiums satisfy specific needs addressed in the promotion?
5. How can I show that my product is reliable?
- How long has your company been around?
- Whats your track record?
- Whats the background of your product "champion?"
- What reputable 3rd parties use your product?
- Whats the process by which you create your product?
- What testimonials do you have?
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »