How to Turn Your Ideas into a Million Dollars
Writing copy for others isn't the only way for you to profit from the powerful selling techniques you're learning. Many copywriters are using their skills to sell their own products and start their own direct-mail businesses.
About 10 years ago, for example, a young married couple in South Florida started a mail-order business in the garage of their home. They bought merchandise, produced a catalog, and were on their way. Today, that company, Levenger, is still selling quality products through the mail – with annual earnings in excess of $50 million.
Levenger is not the only mega-success in the industry. Lillian Vernon, L.L. Bean, and countless others started from their kitchen tables. And if they could do it, so can you!
One of the best things about the direct-response business is that you truly can run a profitable company from your kitchen table. All you have to do is choose a product and write a dynamite sales package for it. Once the orders come rolling in, there are professionals who will (for a fee, of course) handle every other phase of your business for you.
Maybe you've dreamed of starting your own business, but don't know what to sell. If that's the case, take a look at the following list of the 20 most popular direct-mail products for inspiration:
- Artwork – all kinds
- Audiotapes – music, books, entertainment
- Auto-care products
- Books – self-published, self-help, out-of-print
- Cleaning supplies – home and office
- Clothing – special sizes, imported, and unusual
- Clothing accessories
- Collectibles – coins, stamps, miniatures, sports or war memorabilia
- Do-it-yourself kits
- Food – gourmet items, special recipes, health foods
- Gifts – unique items, often imported
- Health and beauty aids – including vitamins and perfumes
- Hobby tips and supplies
- Home furnishings and housewares
- Information booklets – how-to or special information for targeted markets
- Jewelry – high quality costume, religious theme
- Novelty items – unique, trendy, many from abroad
- Pet-care products
- Stationery – imprinted, family calendars, unique items
- Toys and games
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »