Strategies for Moonlighters
If you're holding on to your day job while you build your freelance copywriting business (and we encourage you to do that), here are a few ideas that will help you boost your part-time writing income:
- Save some of your vacation time to attend a copywriting conference. A good conference is a great way to dramatically improve your skills as well as help you make useful contacts with marketers and other people who can help your career.
- Develop shortcuts to help you write better and faster. One idea: Build a good personal reference library. Another idea: Divide large tasks into one- or two-hour increments.
- Rearrange your schedule to increase your productivity. Wake up an hour earlier and use that extra time to write. Write during your lunch break. Gather ideas by reading direct-mail pieces while you exercise or while you're eating breakfast. See if you can arrange to work longer hours four days a week so you can have a whole day to devote to writing.
- Spend time writing while you're on a business trip. Read and write while you're on the plane and at the beginning and end of each day that you're away from the office.
- Take advantage of professional conferences by visiting booths and asking if the company ever uses freelance writers.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »