Quick Tip:
Six Sure Ways to Know Your Prospect (and Product) Better

During their "Know Thy Prospect" session at last week's AWAI Bootcamp, master copywriters Bob Bly and John Forde gave these six valuable ways to understand your prospect and your product better:

1. Ask your client for customer support letters.
  2. Ask to see customer surveys.
  3. Ask for samples of the product so you and other people can try it.
  4. Get testimonials. If the product is new and there aren't any, DO NOT make them up or get friends to give them. if, for example, you're selling a new, arthritis remedy endorsed by Dr. Munchkin, you can use real testimonials about Dr. Munchkin and about the product's components instead of about the product itself.
  5. Ask for old promotions, the ones that worked as well as the ones that bombed. Your client may be reluctant to give them to you, but try. It doesn't make sense for you to take an approach that already failed. And while you won't copy them directly, winning promos can jumpstart your creative process.
  6. Talk to the "champion" of the product: the editor, founder, developer, or whomever. This person can probably tell you more in 15 minutes than you can get from five hours of Internet research.

Published: October 11, 2004

7 Responses to “Quick Tip: Six Sure Ways to Know Your Prospect (and Product) Better”

1. I like the thought of learning to know your prospects. It should help in designing copywriting to interest that kind of person.

Sara Millard DieffembachApril 4, 2011 at 9:43 pm

2. When I bought this course, I thought it would be a basic course that I could finish in a cople of days. I am still in the first section and can not believe all the informating and resources avaliable. It is mind blowing. I can't stop reading. It is worth 10 times the money I payed for the course.

LynnMMay 3, 2011 at 4:52 am

3. I can't believe I let this course sit on a shelf for three years. What was I waiting for?
    I am very pleased with the content thus far. I am looking to make it stick this time.
    I was wondering how to size up a prospect and you lay it all out in M.M.'s
    "Know Thy Prospect". Nice.

kasimsDecember 1, 2011 at 6:08 pm

4. What are "customer support letters"?

The HobumMay 31, 2012 at 10:35 pm

5. This coure is very exciting and I'm learning so much THINK YOU

G loveMarch 15, 2013 at 12:35 pm

6. I was uncertain about buying this course - was I being sucked in by the very devices I was to be taught myself? But so far, no regrets. If I have a grumble, it's that the lessons are a bit 'wordy'. But I see the benefit of repeating the essentials, And the exercises are excellent.

I am concerned about obtaining past letters. Surely there is more than plagiarism here: won't these texts be protected by copyright, including ideas they contain?

Can we be advised, so we avoid risk of legal suit?

Nick FieldenMarch 16, 2013 at 7:31 am

7. I like the thought of searching out for the person who came up with the product and interviewing them.

Wanda F SewellAugust 7, 2018 at 6:16 pm