A Free Online Word Processor and Spreadsheet
One of the realities of writing DM copy is that most of your bigger clients want copy sent as a Microsoft Word document. Word, which runs about $250, is a good word processor – but Google offers a good – FREE – alternative called "Google Docs." (And, even if you already use Word, Google Docs offers some additional benefits for you too.)
Specifically, Google Docs lets you:
- Use their online editor to format documents, spell-check, and more.
- Upload Word documents, OpenOffice, RTF, HTML, or text.
- Download documents to your desktop as Word, PDF, and more.
- View a document's revision history and roll back to any version.
Since Google Docs is online, you can also:
- Invite others to share your documents by e-mail.
- Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
- Publish documents online to the world or just to specific people.
Here's how to get to Google Docs:
Go to www.google.com. At the top of the page, right above the place where you'd normally type in your search term, are these small links:
Web … Images … Video … News … Maps … more »
Click on the "more" link. A small box drops down. Click on the "even more" link. A new page opens. You'll find the link to Google Docs & Spreadsheets on the right-hand side under the "Communicate, show & share" heading.
After that, simply follow Google's easy directions. As a bonus, the same link takes you to a free online spreadsheet program that rivals Microsoft Excel.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »