Picking the Best Testimonials
Strong testimonials are an integral part of any successful health promotion. Especially when the promises made are big, forcing the prospect’s skepticism meter to rise. Your client will often provide you with more testimonials then you could ever use … but how do you know which ones are the best?
“When you are building credibility,” states freelance copywriter and consultant Lea Pierce, “a testimonial can do much of the heavy lifting. And when it’s brimming with specific benefits and a hefty dollop of relevant product details, a great quote can be as powerful as a generous guarantee in closing the sale.”
However, this success hinges on using testimonials that are believable and effective. So, how can you tell which ones will both garner prospect attention and build your credibility?
Pierce offers up the following tips for how to separate the testimonial diamonds from the rough:
- The best testimonials back up your unique selling proposition.
- The real “gems” are specific, not general.
- One benefit per testimonial for maximum impact.
- Testimonials should describe results, the product’s quality, fast delivery, reliability or top-notch customer service, and should be chosen to help answer any objections the prospect might have.
- Like fine crystal, real testimonials have a genuine ring to them. People can spot over-edited testimonials, not to mention fakes, a mile away. If you edit for legal considerations, brevity or to clean up misspellings, tread lightly.
- Testimonials that sound fake do more harm than good, even if they’re true.
Now let’s take a look at a few examples of winning testimonials from various health promotions that get the job done.
“I have had acid reflux for years. Alkaline Body Balance™ helped me get my body back in balance by neutralizing acid, therefore helping my acid reflux. I now sleep at night with no problem.
“Feeling 99.9% better … I wish I would have known about [your program earlier]. It may have prevented many years of pain and surgeries. Thank you, Dr. Whitaker!”
– S. Powell, MaComb, MI
“By following your advice, I lost 50 lbs. It took about one year and did not cost me one cent. Thank you!”
– B.J. Donahue, Ephrata, PA
“There are times due to long working hours, stress, and my age (probably), that I had, in the past, experienced bouts of ‘lack-luster performance.’
“Now, no matter how tired I may feel, there is a much faster response time. It makes me feel like my body is reacting more as it did in my youth.
“I used the Oral Chelation first and after about a month, I noticed I was waking up in the morning more like a teenager would. (Apparently, my circulation has already improved.)
“I know I probably should have, but I didn’t tell the little woman. She is probably wondering how I have managed to perform so much better lately when I am only getting four or five hours of sleep a night.
“The reason I tried this was mostly for her. I am so happy that it is working. Your products are WONDERFUL!”
– M.R.D., Covington, Kentucky
Just remember, as the late, great freelance copywriter Joan Throckmorton always advised her clients, get permission from testimonial givers if you plan to edit their words, or you could end up in legal hot water.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »