Sandy Franks on How to Get Your Name in Your Best Clients’ “Golden Rolodex”
Sandy Franks is publisher for Agora Publishing’s Taipan divison. Over the course of a 20-year-plus career, she has seen every type of copywriter imaginable – from the ardent and eager to please to the rude and “don’t hire at any cost.”
At last month’s Bootcamp, Sandy discussed how you can get your name in your best clients’ “Golden Rolodex” – that is, how to become their favorite copywriter.
Here are Sandy’s 10 do’s and don’ts”
- Don’t offer to critique existing packages when you have no winners yourself.
- Do know your client’s product and services.
- Do be patient. It may take time to get your first assignment.
- Don’t be a know-it all.
- Do be receptive to ideas.
- Do keep in touch with prospective clients.
- Do call them every now and then. They may have work waiting to be assigned.
- Do send out mailings selling your services.
- Do write articles in trade magazines (so they see your name).
- Do drop them a note when you see a great control. (All marketers love flattery!)
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »