Where does 1 + 1 = 10?
Sure, writing for the catalog market is ideal if long letter writing isn’t for you. And it’s perfect for people who like a lot of variety in their assignments.
But here’s another huge benefit you may not have considered:
Many of the top catalogers have multiple brands under their umbrellas … all needing copy. So getting a job with 1-800-Flowers.com could lead to jobs from Plow & Hearth, The Popcorn Factory, or one of the company’s five other catalog divisions.
Same goes for Frontgate, a catalog I get at home and always enjoy reading. Frontgate is owned by IAC/InteractiveCorp … which also owns Ballard Designs, Garnet Hill, and nine other brands.
Here’s a list of 10 top catalogers (including their multiple brands) according to Multi Channel Merchant.
- 1-800-FLOWERS.COM – Cheryl & Co., Fannie May, HearthSong, Magic Cabin, Plow & Hearth, The Popcorn Factory, Wind & Weather
- ARISTOTLE CORP. – American Educational Products, Nasco, Summit Learning, Triarco
- CABELA’S – Antique Hardware and Home, Ducks Unlimited, Van Dyke’s Restorers, Van Dyke’s Taxidermy, Wild Wings
- CHARMING SHOPPES – Bedford Fair Lifestyles, Brownstone Studio, Coward Shoes, Figi’s, Intimate Appeal, Lew Magram, Monterey Bay Clothing Co., Old Pueblo Traders, Regalia, Willow Ridge
- DIRECT MARKETING SERVICES INC. – Charles Keath, Home Visions, Montgomery Ward, Popular Club Plan, Room for Kids
- HANOVER DIRECT – Company Kids, The Company Store, Domestications, International Male, Silhouettes, Undergear
- IAC/INTERACTIVECORP. – Alsto’s, Ballard Designs, Frontgate, Garnet Hill, Grandin Road, Home Focus, Improvements, IOS, Isabella Bird, Smith + Noble, The Territory Ahead, TravelSmith
- INTERLINE BRANDS – Barnett, Copperfield Chimney Supply, Hardware Express, Leran, Maintenance USA, Sexauer, SunStar Lighting, U.S. Lock, Wilmar
- K+K AMERICA – Alfax, Dallas Midwest, C&H Distributors, Conney Safety Products, Hubert, National Furniture Business
- PATTERSON COS. – Masune First Aid & Safety, Medco, Sammons Preston, Webster Veterinary
If the catalog market is something you’re considering, make sure you read this week’s issue of Copywriting Insider. My editorial team and I will be exploring this super-hot niche to uncover the best strategies for breaking in and landing top paying assignments from these, and other, major catalogers.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »