Can Copywriting Really Give You the Life You Want?
Bootcamp just ended, and wow … what an experience!
It’s awe-inspiring to have been in a room full of 300 copywriters, all with the same goal of a better life.
And if there’s one thing you should know – especially if you didn’t make it to this year’s Bootcamp – it’s this:
The opportunity copywriting provides is real. And no matter who you are or where you are in life – you can make your copywriting dreams come true.
Heck, I went from serving lattes and sticky buns at Starbucks to being a full-time copywriter for AWAI.
And Monica Day came to Bootcamp six years ago with only a passion for writing and the hope that she could make a living out of it. She had her entire family in tow. During the presentations, she held her newborn in one arm and took notes with the other. Since then, she’s been enjoying a very successful six-figure copywriting career doing what she loves.
No doubt, copywriting can truly be your escape route to a better life. And after meeting so many successful AWAI members, this truth rings loud and clear.
And here’s the thing …
It doesn’t matter what your version of a better life might be – copywriting can provide it.
… For some, it may be earning just enough to get by, while doing what they love most: writing.
… For others, it’s totally about the lifestyle – having complete financial freedom and full control of your schedule.
… And yet for many more, it’s simply about having more time to spend with family and friends.
There’s no limit to how copywriting can help you create a new, better life. And when you’re at Bootcamp, you realize that absolutely anyone can do it.
- Jason Gaspero went from serving pizza slices on Bourbon Street in New Orleans for $5.50 an hour to landing a full-time copywriting gig with AWAI.
- Ed Gandia left a six-figure job in exchange for the freedom copywriting provides him. Today he earns more than his previous job and has the opportunity to be there for his wife and daughter.
- Conrad Hall dumped the stress and physical fatigue of the construction industry and now dictates his schedule. He thanks his lucky stars for the day he decided to become a copywriter.
And after all the people I met at Bootcamp, I could go on and on …
- Penny Thomas survived four layoffs, but after the fifth found herself out of work. Today, she is a full-time professional copywriter with a promotion that beat the current control by 68%!
- Laurie Cauthen left the life of a professional clown and recently landed a full-time copywriting position with a MAJOR alternative health company in Florida … allowing her to earn a living with her passion for writing.
- Steve Coombes was tired of having his paycheck stretched thin and not having enough time to spend with his six children. Now he’s writing web copy, has boosted his income 50%, and is on his way to quitting his full-time job and focusing on writing web copy full-time from home.
Copywriting is a very real opportunity. One so good, at times you have to pinch yourself just to make sure it’s real. But if you follow just a few proven principles, keep at it, and never give up, I promise – just as hundreds of AWAI members exactly like you have shown me at Bootcamp – a new, better life can be yours.
Just commit today to doing what it takes. If you don’t know how to get started, here’s a quick recap straight from this year’s Bootcamp presentations …
- Keep Practicing Often. Write as much as you can to ensure your skills are razor sharp. Doing this will eliminate self-doubt in your abilities as a copywriter, and build your confidence.
- Find Your Niche. Discover what niche you’d love to write for. What are you passionate about? Let that guide you to specializing your copywriting skills for that niche.
- Market Yourself. Get a list of your dream clients. Write a sales letter and send it to them. You can also go to DirectResponseJobs.com and find dozens of companies eager to hire a copywriter right now. Also, seriously consider getting the 2008 “Bootcamp-in-Your-Home” Program, which gives you access to 60+ spec assignments for current projects. Submit as many specs as you can without sacrificing the quality of your work, using Gary Hennerberg’s 21 proven tips (also part of the Bootcamp program) … and you’ll have a pretty good chance of landing a paid assignment.
- Never Stop Learning. Re-read the AWAI Accelerated Program. Re-read the copywriting classics by Hopkins, Schwartz, Schwab and others. And while you’re at it, take it upon yourself to learn marketing. Knowing more about marketing allows you to earn more as a copywriter, since you’ll be able to spot opportunities your clients might be missing and create more sales and profit.
And remember, don’t give up. At times, the path to becoming a successful copywriter can be rife with emotional highs and lows. Everybody goes through them. The difference between those who’ve succeeded and those that still haven’t is that they kept plugging along.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »