Right Brain Copy Secrets
I would estimate 99% of all copy written is dull. Boring. Most of it is unsuccessful. And instead of being a delight, an incredible chore to read.
The biggest reason for this lack of success is, in my view, because it is “left brain” copy.
Left brain copy may be logical. The copy may make sense. But there is just one problem. No one really wants to read it.
And clearly if prospects don’t read the copy, of course there is no way they will respond to it.
Successful responsive copy must be exciting. Emotional. Passionate. Interesting. Unique. It must be created in the right brain.
Unless you find a way to make it so, you are just kidding yourself if you expect to succeed with any offer.
That’s why today I’m presenting to you what has never been offered before by me or anyone else. A formula that will help you create:
“Killer” right brain copy!
Imagine this. You’ll get a blueprint. A template for creating what the world is crying out for and desperately needs more of. Powerful right brain copy.
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what I can do to help improve the copy of all those I influence.
The key is activating the right brain. Killer copy is all about the right brain. Once activated and combined with a big central idea, this is the real secret behind great copy.
Yet no one addresses it. Or discusses it. Therefore I can’t help but wonder how many people are actually aware of the miracles the right brain can achieve.
A small handful of great copywriters seem to be able to turn on their right brain almost at will.
But, the good news is this. Right brain copywriting is a learnable skill. The human brain can actually be switched into right brain mode.
With a series of specific actions that trigger the right side of your brain. These actions can help you program your incredibly powerful right brain.
I’ve broken down into steps what I see as the key brain triggers to writing successful sales copy.
The first step is to do what you probably are already doing. Using your left brain.
Please don’t misunderstand me. I don’t mean to disparage left brain functions in any way. These can also be very useful in copywriting. I’ll explain how in a moment.
So first activate the left brain.
To start the process, simply study and isolate every single feature and benefit of your product.
Write out these benefits. Use a 3 x 5 card for each one. Answer the “so what” question in each benefit.
Here is a quick review of the left brain action you must take.
Left Brain Actions
- Isolate benefits
- Write bullet points
- Answer the “so what” question
- Put your 3 x 5 cards aside for now
Now you are ready to take steps that will help you access the powerful and more creative right side of your brain.
The very first thing you should do is prepare a powerful right brain headline.
I call this technique the “hidden benefit” headline.
The hidden benefit headline does not have to be directly involved with any of your previously prepared left brain benefits.
Nor does it need to be directly related to your product or service.
Many of my most successful headlines in space ads, e-mails, post cards and sales letters are hidden benefit driven.
To create your hidden benefit headline answer this question:
“If I had unlimited God-like powers and could grant my
product or service the biggest benefit I can imagine,
what would that be?”
Read that key question at least three times before answering.
Remember, 73% of the buying decision is made at the headline. So it’s really important. In fact, you don’t have a chance to succeed without it.
Once you’ve got your headline “nailed,” follow it with a series of action steps.
Here is a step-by-step summary of exactly how to do the whole process:
Activate Right Brain
- Discover hidden benefits using the above Ted Nicholas formula. To turn this headline into a huge promise, you must be able to prove and support. Remember, you need a big idea to drive the whole process.
- Envision your buyer as a bright 21-year-old who you love and care for very much, but who needs a crystal-clear explanation of your offer. Keep it simple.
- Begin roughing out copy. Just discuss the emotions of your prospect only. Do not even talk about the product at this point
- What keeps your prospect awake at night? What are his/her aspirations? Goals? Wants?
- Briefly explain what hooked you emotionally enough to want to market this product in the first place. Describe why it is fun for you to sell it? Make yourself as real as possible.
- Don’t hesitate to briefly include key factors about your lifestyle and personal life. Include those close to you such as your wife, husband, significant other, children and even friends.
- Find your unique voice and stay consistent with it. Write informally just as you talk. Avoid sounding like you’re teaching a course in English literature. Instead communicate as though you are having a drink or coffee with your prospect.
- Use testimonials from passionate, happy customers. Make sure their comments support your hidden benefit promise.
- Offer a guarantee that is beyond your comfort zone. The longer the better. If you have in mind a 30-day money-back guarantee, make it 90 days. If 90 days, make it six months. Even better, use a full-year guarantee. Offer to give a prompt and courteous refund. Even on the 364th day
- Always sell dollars for pennies. To offer dollars for pennies, the actual value of the product including the value of all the free gifts must be several times the purchase price.
- Make sure you offer at least 3 to 6 free bonus gifts if the prospect orders now or “within 7 days.”
- “Blend in” some or even all of the left brain benefits into your final draft.
- Offer financial terms that are simply unbeatable.
- Offer a dramatic payment plan that increases the appeal of the offer as well as its risk-free nature. Make it easy to buy.
For example, offer a choice of three payments over three months instead of one large payment. Perhaps offer free shipping and handling
You can also include this in your offer. “Your credit card will not be charged for a month. Nor will your check be cashed for at least 30 days from shipment. In that way you can decide whether you want to keep the product or return it. In such a case it will not cost you a single penny. And in such a case we will return your un-cashed check!”
Once you complete the above steps you will be at, or very close to, a huge direct marketing winner online and/or offline. Of that you can be sure.
I’d love to hear about your big right-brain inspired winners!