What Copywriting and Making Babies Have in Common

Mindy Tyson McHorse here, stoked to be back with you at The Writer’s Life for this incredibly special week.

You see, I’m due to have a baby this Saturday.

Odd as it may sound, that’s very relevant to you.

Why? Because birthing a new baby and birthing a new life as a copywriter share many similarities.

They both represent entrance into a totally different world.

They both have the power to radically change your existence for the better.

Most important, they both require unshakeable confidence that you can handle what’s coming – even if you don’t know everything you’d like to know before you cross over.

In my case, it’s been almost four years since I made the jump from corporate hamster-in-a-wheel to freelance copywriter.

Yet, I remember it like it was yesterday … the fear, the excitement, the occasional cluelessness … all bookended by the thrill of the journey.

Those final days that led up to my grand transition were especially thrilling. I knew I was about to turn the page on my old life forever.

Knowing I have just a few days left before giving birth brings back those same feelings. I’m about to experience a new and wild – and hopefully rewarding – rite of passage.

So, as I prepare for my existence to fundamentally change, I invite you to do the same.

Let this be the week you closely examine your commitment to living the writer’s life. Are you just toying with the idea? Kind of like when you’re just thinking about becoming a parent but haven’t yet taken the plunge?

Have you already jumped, but you’re still in the early stages and you’re not yet sure it’s a good idea?

Or, are you like super-pregnant me, where there’s really no turning back?

Throughout the next few days, I’m going to walk you through the five major stages of becoming a working copywriter.

At the end of the week, you’ll know whether you’re finally ready to take the plunge and cross over. In the meantime, please share your thoughts, feelings, and questions below!

No ratings yet
Published: April 25, 2011

20 Responses to “What Copywriting and Making Babies Have in Common”

1. Wow! Congratulations Mindy, and good luck with the birth. Nice post too, as I am in those early, "thinking about it" stages, and very new to AWAI. I'm looking forward to reading more...

Guest (Jenifer Ebel)April 25, 2011 at 7:58 am

2. Mindy, Good Luck to You and God Bless You.

PaulHughesApril 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm

3. Congrats on your arrival!!! WooHoo... yes, life will change.

I'm a quiet member since '06. On the springboard edge, poised and ready, but never leaped. A, 2010 B.C. attendee who sat back, listened, learned, yet became incredibly overwhelmed... arrived home energized & ready to make a life change. I submitted specs. I heard nothing! Reality hit like a nuclear gas. Still, blindly writing in secret "staring" at the pool. Looking forward to your push into the 'real' pool of Copywriting; no hype, sink or swim.

Guest (MM)April 25, 2011 at 4:38 pm

4. What I have decided to do is use my existing business to hone my skills for web copy, autoresponders, direct mail, etc. I am having trouble finding a niche...

actionpubsApril 25, 2011 at 4:54 pm

5. Mindy the bottom line I'm scared to death now. I was all gung ho and I've been writing most of my life just for fun never profit.

I'm afraid I'll have writers block and no one will want me to write for them. Stuff like that. I'm sure you've been there too.

I've always wanted a mentor, someone to help me and be a friend also. It would be nice if that person was you.

I like the way you write and I've always believed that in order to be successful you follow the person that already is.

Guest (kahedi4)April 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm

6. Congratulations Mindy as you look forward this Saturday to bringing new life to your world. It must be an exciting time for you and maybe scarry too if this is your first time. Best of luck and happy times.

Guest (Victor Sperber)April 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm

7. Best wishes to you and your family, Mindy! I ask every successful copywriter I can talk to this same question, so here it is:

I have taken the six-figure course, the master's course, b2b and other courses from AWAI, but I don't know how to get clients.

I have no experience/samples, no professional contacts, no relevant personal contacts, and no money at all to work with. Oh - and i work two full-time jobs, so I have very little time, and none during "business hours".

How do I get clients?

gluten-free gourmandApril 25, 2011 at 6:16 pm

8. Hi Mindy, What a great comparison you made. I'm in the thinking about it stage too. I fear I might not be good enough or have the detail oriented mind required for the work. But, my curiousity is currently picqued.

Guest (Paula)April 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm

9. Congratulations Mindy. To say that your life will be different after the birth is an understatement! Having a child is a transformative experience that completely changes you in mind, body and soul.

As for my copywriting business, I feel like a woman who's way past her due date. Hopefully, your articles this week will give me the "push" needed to give birth to my copywriting business.

Blessings to you and your family.

Cheryl DApril 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm

10. Congratulations on your upcoming birth of your child. It is a life changing experience especially if it is the first one. I have restarted the copywriting program now 3 times. I have always been interrupted by something in my life.
    Now I find I need the program more than ever. I have a handicapped wife which will still have a great effect on my life. I think I do have enough information now to do it. I am going to recommit myself to doing this. Thanks for the encouragement.

Guest (Richard)April 26, 2011 at 6:34 am

11. I am almost done with the six-figure course and the doubts and fear have really hit me hard. Not so much the writing part of it but the business side. I have no idea of the legalities of copywriting and no samples to show. What I need is for a experienced copywriter to help me start the process of beginning and learning the business side of copywriting

David AdameApril 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm

12. Many blessings to you Mindy on the upcoming addition! I've recently recommitted to enjoying the "writer's life" and your post was very encouraging!

Guest (dowilt)April 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm

13. Mindy, your accomplishments in the light of your growing family fill me with admiration! Hope, too! Perhaps a little courage also! Life at the other pole of life seems more possible now - I have a husband who needs a lot of care at home, plus I'm very senior myself; I have to write from home or not at all (bless the internet!)
    Wishing you an easy, happy delivery and happiness with all your successes. Thanks for being an inspiration!
    Mary

Guest (Mary)April 27, 2011 at 12:27 pm

14. Congratulations Mindy! May you be blessed with a cute little bundle of joy - that sleeps through the night quickly :) Just spent 30 minutes checking out your website and ready to write mine with a whole new voice. I am not sure how much I want to niche right now and your website gave me a lot of great content to think about. I want to concentrate on website auditing and B2B. Ready to launch into the writer's life! Love your insights and the articles you have shared with all of us. God bless!

Kathy Daly-UnfrichtApril 28, 2011 at 1:48 am

15. A great big congrats to you you !

Thanks very much for the advice on niche selection. I am on the hunt right now...

Guest (actionpubs)May 2, 2011 at 10:57 am