15 Ways Choosing A Niche Will Increase Your Web-Writing Business
If you’ve been a subscriber of Wealthy Web Writer for a while, you’ve surely come across some of the articles that discuss the importance of a niche. But, maybe you still haven’t chosen one for your own web-writing business, or maybe you just can’t see the benefit for you.
Today, I’m going to talk about why you absolutely need a niche — and how to help you choose one.
So first, let’s review the definition of a niche.
What is a niche?
A niche is a specific area of demand for a product or service.
In this case, your service is web writing, but because web writing is a broad service that includes several different types of writing and even numerous markets and industries, we need to narrow down your focus.
When you focus on a smaller group within a larger market, the smaller group is referred to as a niche.
By focusing on a niche, you will more easily find, win, and keep clients. You’ll be able to increase your demand and your prices, make it easier to promote your services, and serve a more targeted — and loyal — group of clients.
Plus, you’ll decrease your competition because most web writers target the entire Internet. They think anyone who needs website copy is their target market. This is a huge mistake.
In case you’re currently making this same misstep, here are 15 benefits of choosing a niche:
- When your ideal clients come to your website, they will know you’re the writer for them because you’ll speak directly to them. You’ll be able to tell them how you’ll sell more of their specific products because you’re an expert in their industry.
- The odds of finding clients seeking what you offer will increase because you will only target businesses or websites in your niche — that would benefit from hiring a web writer — instead of trying to convince every business in the world to work with you.
- You'll feel more focused in your business efforts because you’ll know exactly who your ideal clients are. You’ll know what to say to them, how to consult with them, and how to convince them you’re the guy or gal for the job. And, running your business will be simpler and your business plan will be much easier to write.
- When you focus on one niche, you’ll be viewed as a specialist. And, because you’ll have more training and experience in the industry you specialize in, you’ll be able to charge specialist prices. Remember, the more specialized something is, the more valuable it is.
- When you choose a niche, you’ll instantly be more credible as an authority and be set apart from all your competitors who are generalists. Your competition will be reduced from all web writers to just web writers who specialize in your niche.
- You’ll no longer have the stress of being everything to everyone. Instead, you'll be able to research and fine-tune your message to your ideal clients — and their customers. You’ll know what they think, feel, like, and respond to. This will help you in all areas of your business from marketing to your writing projects.
- SEO will be easier. There are a lot of people offering web writing, so it will be fairly difficult to rank high for the term “web writer,” but "Business-to-Business web writer” is much more achievable.
- It will be easier to make a name for yourself. Imagine trying to be “The Web Writer” … As in, “Becky Jones is The Web Writer” … It doesn’t seem very likely. But “The Web Writer For Dentists” is a title you could claim. As in, “Becky Jones is The Web Writer For Dentists. She really knows what she is doing. We got a better search-engine rank and many more new clients because of her web writing.”
- When you specialize in one niche, you'll become very experienced in that niche. You’ll have a lot of samples — and more confidence in each job you quote on. This will help you sell yourself and your web-writing services, making you more credible to clients when you're bidding on jobs.
- You'll feel more like a professional, quickly able to describe exactly what you do and how you can help your clients. Your elevator speech will be more focused, such as, “I help pediatricians like you increase their business by writing copy that convinces parents you’re the right person to care for their child.” Instead of the vague, “I help companies make more money.”
- Your advertising budget will stretch further. For example, if you're a web writer for the gardening industry, it’s cheaper to advertise in garden-focused publications than general business publications. And, you’ll likely get more attention from the readers of the publications you advertise in because you’ll probably be the only web writer advertising there.
- You’ll enjoy your work more because when you choose a niche, ideally it should be related to something you love. For example, if you're passionate about tennis, writing tennis-related web copy, and keeping up with industry news and events, will probably seem more like play than work. You'll be excited when you find more work and you won't have to worry about any dreaded projects coming along.
- You’ll get more referrals because when you focus your efforts on certain types of businesses — and do a great job each and every time — the clients you work for will remember you and your service. You'll find that specific clients want to work with you based on referrals from other clients you've worked with in that niche and because of your status as the guru in their industry.
- You can even get referrals from other web writers who used to be your direct competition. If they have a job come along that's in your niche — but not in theirs — and they know you could do it better and faster, they might just pass it on to you. (Later, when a client outside your niche has a project come up, you can return the favor.)
- If you're just starting out, you probably have a lot of training you need to complete. Focusing on a niche can reduce the amount of training you have to do because instead of studying six programs, you can study Copywriting 2.0 plus one program that focuses on your niche.
I hope these examples helped you realize, when you choose a niche, you can simplify your web-writing business while also making it more profitable.
This article, 15 Ways Choosing A Niche Will Increase Your Web-Writing Business, was originally published by Wealthy Web Writer.
The Digital Copywriter's Handbook
Learn how to become an in-demand online copywriter for companies big and small. Online copywriting expert Nick Usborne shows you how to write web copy that converts. Learn More »