A-Level Copywriters Ask for Help

Christina Gillick here for the last time this week.

Before I share today’s lesson with you, I want to share something:

I do not like asking for help.

I’m one of those people who would rather do it myself so “I know it will be done right.”

I like to come up with the idea, do the research, implement it, and get all the credit.

All through college, I avoided group projects like the plague – even if it meant I had to do six times more work.

But now that I’m developing my personal skills, I’m realizing that’s a terrible way to go through life. It’s stressful, lonely, and more difficult – especially if you’re trying to break into writing all by yourself.

Through my research, I’ve learned that all the A-level copywriters reach out for help. They follow the paths other people have followed, they learn from others’ mistakes, and they ask for advice when they hit a roadblock.

I’d advise you to do the same. I am.

I’ve made a commitment to myself that I’m going to do whatever it takes to be an A-level copywriter. And that means swallowing my pride and taking cues from those who know what they’re talking about.

It also meant joining Circle of Success so I can get to the writer’s life faster, connect with others who are willing to share their advice, and get access to a whole slew of programs designed to give me help where I need it.

My first step after joining Circle of Success was to call AWAI Co-Managing Partner Rebecca Matter. In just one phone call, we were able to discover my niche – something I had not been able to do on my own for over a year.

That call enabled me to get my self-marketing messages put together, set up my website, and get my first client. Without her help, I’d still be struggling, trying to do it all my way.

Next, I started attending the weekly classes and diving into the projects designed to hone my writing skills. The first 12 weeks were focused on just headlines – that’s how in-depth Circle of Success is.

I went into the classes thinking I knew a lot about headlines, but I wound up learning more than I could imagine.

One tip I learned about the Big Idea (check out Will Newman’s essay for more on this vital copy element) cut my writing time nearly in half.

Since that breakthrough, I’m eager to continue my Circle of Success classes to see what else I can learn, reveal, and conquer.

Before I end for the day, I just want to say it’s really difficult to do this alone.

But even though I hate asking for help, I’ve decided it’s in my best interest to learn from those that have come before me.

Now when I have a problem, question, or concern, I send off an email or call someone and get help.

The writer’s life is so much more fun when it’s easy and you’re doing what others have done before. And it’s safer when you have a concrete path to stick to and people to bounce ideas off of.

Let me know what’s holding you back by commenting below.

No ratings yet
Published: November 11, 2011

16 Responses to “A-Level Copywriters Ask for Help”

1. I would love to join the Circle of Success but the cost is beyond my means. I need to be successful before I can learn to be successful - a bit of a Catch-22 situation!

clarksosNovember 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm

2. Hi Christina I enjoyed your information...
    You asked: "what's holding me back" Money is holding me back from being able to pay for the help you say AWAI is there to help me in any way to see me succeed.

Guest (Larry Pelley)November 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm

3. I'm a college student and don't have the money or time to invest in circle of success. what plan of action would you suggest for someone in my shoes?

Rod WaynickNovember 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm

4. I'm challenged the most right now with 2 things:

Changing my websites design around so the copy and layout is more user friendly. This includes finding a designer who knows how to make good logos (which is my first priority). But despite my calling hundreds of design firms advertising my own services, I'm challenged with selecting a designer and knowing how to work with them.

Second, learning how to find and target companies that pay well for copy.

AuthorDavidNovember 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm

5. Hi Christina: I have been taking the accelerated copwriters course and reading everything that is on the AWAI website, I have also brought the resume writing course and the barefoot writer, but I don't know where to go from there. I have been studying and reading alot and writing a few items but I am kinda lost on where to go from there.

Carmen IrisNovember 11, 2011 at 7:09 pm

6. Hi,Christina;

I think you are hitting right in the spot. When I went trough college, I was a lonely wolf; but as time passed by, I learned that Teamwork is more than people together, it means people pushing in the same direction of success. At, this moment I'm not in the financial position to be part of COS; I need to wait for at least one year an a half; but, I'll be there for sure!

Thanks a lot for remind me, that I'm not alone!

René

Rene Sifonte - PRNovember 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm

7. Christina, you asked to leave a note as to why I haven't joined the Circle of Success. Believe me, if I could, I would. But at #8,500, if I sold everything I have, I doubt if I could raise thatamount. I know it will get better, it can't get much worse. I'm still in there plugging.

Elizabeth23November 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm

8. I have always been a jack of all trades & master of none. Because there are so many interests, it finally dawned on me that I am a writer. I have a very stressful job but have been reading everything about being a writer that I can get my hands on. I've entered a few poems in the WD contest & others. It was nice to see the e-mail from WD linking to AWAI. I joined today & am very impressed already. I suppose what is holding me back is being tired in the evening after work. Short naps daily help

Guest (Dale)November 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm

9. classes are too expensive

Guest (Kathy)November 12, 2011 at 8:23 am

10. Only my current financial situation is holding me back at this point! Even with a payment plan, I'd be hard pressed. In the meantime, I've ordered the Bootcamp online program. Hopefully by the time the next Circle of Success program rolls around, I'll be in a better position to join! I can't wait!

mynaitoNovember 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm

11. It's interesting you ask "what's holding me back" (from jumping on circle of success)? Uh, the price tag - DUH.
    I think the program sounds superb. I wish I had that kind of cash laying around I could gamble on this. And no, payment plans don't work for me because then I've still made a commitment to paying the full price. How about this? Break it into stand-alone modules. Arrange it so each module is guaranteed to pay for itself in earnings BEFORE then next commitment is made. I'd go for that.

TimNovember 13, 2011 at 4:04 am

12. Boy DID you just hit me between the eyes! You're the one who was always so busy at BOOTCAMP! HOW DO I BECOME THE PERSON I WAS MEANT TO BE? one tiny bite at a time. Thanks for your inspiration.
    REACHING OUT FOR HELP AND ACCEPTING IT ALONG WITH THE CRITICISM THAT WILL PROPEL ME TO MY DREAM LIFE...THANK YOU AGAIN!

Gypsy RoverNovember 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm

13. Thanks Cristiana, for giving your helping hand, its nice that you encouraged the depressed writers that give a new zeal boosting their enthusiasm.Good Luck wishing you success on evey path of your life.
    -Yaqeen

Guest (Yaqeen)November 13, 2011 at 11:52 pm

14. Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments!

I agree that Circle of Success isn't cheap - but it does pay for itself if you're ready to make the commitment to earn money as a copywriter.

My strategy was to order it on the payment plan and if I didn't match the amount due each month within a few months, I would cancel before the deadline passed. (Continued...)

Christina GillickNovember 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm

15. Luckily, I easily earned enough to cover the fee the first month and every month after.

For me, COS has more than paid for itself, but if you're not in a position to enroll, you could always start with a smaller course - like Copywriting 2.0 or Autoresponder Apprentice - and earn the money first.

I hope this helps!

Christina GillickNovember 14, 2011 at 5:37 pm

16. I have written radio copy before when I was selling time while working in radio. When I opened my Writer's Digest and saw the ad for free classes I was so excited! I can do this! It's fun! I thought of this as a possible money source and a kick start for more writing! Sign me up! I can't wait! Charlie

Guest (Charlie)August 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm