Profiting from Hot Online Trends
I’m sure you’ve heard of the $1.2 trillion Chinese export market. It’s where some of the largest companies in the world make their money. They buy products manufactured in China for pennies on the dollar … and sell them for a huge markup.
But you don’t have to be a Walmart to get in on this opportunity.
Thousands of successful individual entrepreneurs use this model to make full-time incomes – and then some – working from home part-time. Because you can also get started with limited or no experience and not much money, it’s perfect for Carefree Entrepreneurs.
How do you do it? You harness the power of the Internet to:
- Find products and manufacturers from a trusted source (you don’t have to store inventory, they ship directly from factory to customer)
- Research the hottest products online right now (a few clicks and you’ll have all you need to know)
- Sell to customers primed to buy (without setting up your own website, if you don’t want to )
A few weeks ago, you learned about the online resource used by insiders to find product manufacturers. Alibaba.com is the leading online marketplace for connecting overseas suppliers and entrepreneurs like you looking to import and sell products online. It’s easy to use. And on this site, which includes only quality goods, you can find pretty much any product you can think of. Everything from yoga mats to bulldozers.
This is great. You know where to find the products. It’s not something you have to worry about.
Now your challenge as a Carefree Entrepreneur is to figure which particular products are “hot” right now.
And the great thing is this is easy to do. With some very simple online research, you’ll soon have a range of products that can be sold quickly and profitably. And by tapping into trends, marketing your products will be easier.
3 Ways to Find Hot Products for Your Business
You’re starting an online business. And that means the best place to do your market research is – you guessed it – online. Here are the top three resources for finding hot products:
- Start with Google, specifically Google Product Search. (You can find it under the Shopping tab on the Google homepage, or at google.com/prdhp.) Scroll down and you’ll find a listing of current hot products – those that have been searched for and purchased by online customers. Google gets sales information weekly from hundreds of online businesses, so if a new trend pops up, you’ll see it here first.
- eBay Pulse (pulse.ebay.com) is another great resource. It tracks the top 10 searches – what customers are actively looking for – on its site. ebay started out offering mostly used goods and collectibles. But these days, eBay sellers offer a lot of new products. So it’s very popular with your target market of online shoppers.
- Lastly, check out the largest online retailer, Amazon. Its bestsellers page (amazon.com/gp/bestsellers) is a great place to identify products you should consider selling yourself. Thousands of people shop on Amazon every hour – it’s the go-to online shopping site. If it’s trending on Amazon, you have a money-maker on your hands.
So what’s hot right now?
I just checked out the three sites above and some of the big sellers of the moment are electronic gadgets (including cell phones, laptops, tablet computers, and mp3 players), women’s shoes, video games, and holiday decor.
Check out these research tools yourself today. Make a list of the top 10 products selling on each site: Google Product Search, eBay, and Amazon. It’s on these lists that you’ll find the in-demand products that you should be selling online with your import-export business. If you find a product on two or three of the lists, the money-making potential is even greater.
In the next essay in this series, we’ll show you how to hook up with suppliers on Alibaba.com and get the best deals so you can start importing the hot products you’ve identified today. You can start with one or two, ramping up to offer more as your business takes off.
Then later we’ll tackle how to start marketing your products once you’ve identified “hot” trends and found a supplier overseas. You’ll learn how to sell online – without having to set up your own website. eBay, Amazon Marketplace, and other online resources set up the virtual storefront you, allowing you to focus on marketing. Plus, each day these sites get thousands of visitors searching for products. That gives your business an automatic leg up.
If you’re eager to get started right away, check out my program, The China Wholesale Trader. In it I give you tips and tactics for finding and negotiating with manufacturers, marketing your business on the Internet, and much more.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »