Meet Up with AWAI Across America

Welcome to “AWAI Across America.” This is a new feature within the AWAI blog that allows my husband and me to share our travel experiences with you, talk about writing while on the road, and let you know about special AWAI Meet Up Events we’ll be hosting across the country.

Hi, Chris and Jim Butler here reporting on our journey around America in our motor coach. Thanks for joining us. We’re glad to have you aboard!

Who are we? We’re living examples of what it means to live the writer’s life that AWAI makes possible for all of us.

Jim and Chris with our dog, Farley, in front of “The Rig”

Like most AWAI members, the appeal of the writer’s life is what sold me on becoming a copywriter. You can do it from anywhere, and at any time that suits you … not your boss. In fact, you ARE your own boss.

My story is probably similar to yours. I bought my first AWAI program (AWAI’s Accelerated Program for Six-Figure Copywriting) about four years ago after receiving a direct-marketing packet asking me “Can You Write a Letter Like This One?”.

My initial response was “of course I can” and I sent away for the program. Little did I know at the time that it would lead us toward the reality of living our dream … earning money while exploring our beautiful and exciting nation.

Ever since we bought our motor coach, 10 years ago, we’ve wanted to sell our house, move into the coach full-time, and travel … visiting areas we’ve read or heard about … while visiting friends we have throughout the country.

Through AWAI, I’ve learned how to earn enough money through freelance copywriting to help fund this dream trip. Jim and I are both retired from corporate jobs and appreciate the additional income we’re now earning so we can continue to pursue our cherished dream of RVing across the country.

The best part is that I love to write and I can continue my new career as we pursue our goals of visiting as many National Parks as we can and trying to drive to every state … with the exception of Hawaii, of course … unless we put floats on our coach! That might be more of a challenge than we want!

So in May, we took the big plunge. Our house is on the market and we moved into our motor coach. We’re now living our dream and having a ball!

I’m not saying we haven’t had challenges, which I will share with you along the way, but we’re enjoying learning about our country in a way we never could before.

We’ve met the nicest people, seen some outstanding scenery, and learned so much history … and we haven’t even been on the road a month yet.

Since RVing is my chosen copywriting niche, I also get the opportunity to use what I learn along the way for many of my writing projects … experiencing things firsthand and truly becoming an expert in my field.

We want you to enjoy our journey with us! So please … follow us along here on the AWAI blog as we continue our tour. Also, we hope to meet many of you along the way — more on that in just a minute!

Here’s a quick update on our travels for this last month …

We left Tucson, Arizona, and aimed The Rig (our Motor Coach) east. We crossed New Mexico, and half of Texas. Our target was Austin, where we met up with Rebecca Matter, Co-Managing Partner of AWAI, and my AWAI mastermind group. We spent an enjoyable day-and-a-half sharing our triumphs as well as tribulations as web copywriters. We learn so much from each other every time we meet … whether face-to-face or via a call.

Mastermind group in Austin enjoying dinner

From there, we headed up toward the Pacific Northwest. Had a rather scary moment near Denton, Texas, where a misplaced steel fence post pierced the gas tank on our tow car. We were very fortunate it didn’t ignite — and that the story has a happy ending. No one was hurt and our car now has a brand-new gas tank. We were back on the road in less than 24 hours … which is amazing in itself.

Our next encounter with an AWAI member was in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We met Bob Edelstein and his wife Patty for dinner. I met Bob at the Web Intensive two years ago and we’ve been writing buds ever since!

Bob and Chris in Colorado Springs

… and now we’re off again to our next location, which brings me to a special invitation we’d like to extend to you.

Let’s Meet Up in Seattle!

We’re continuing up to Washington and Oregon — our old stomping grounds.

And, when we get to Seattle on July 12th, we’re going to host the first of what we hope will be many AWAI Meet Ups — casual Happy Hour get-togethers with drinks and snacks.

If you’re in the Seattle area you’ll be receiving an invitation via email from Katie Yeakle on Monday July 2nd with an RSVP date of July 9th.

We can all share our copywriting experiences and, best of all, you’ll get to meet other AWAI members in your area — in person!

So come aboard our motor coach and follow us on our journey. Follow us on AWAI’s blog, Facebook, and Twitter. We’ll share with you our good times as well as our challenges. We’ll introduce you to AWAIers we meet along the way. And, we’ll let you know when an AWAI Meet Up is coming to your hometown.

Published: June 22, 2012

17 Responses to “Meet Up with AWAI Across America”

1. I'm hiding this article from my wife so I don't have to buy an RV next week. I love it, and plan to do something similar down the road when my kids are older. If you're within two hours of Chicago at any point, let me know!

Steve RollerJune 22, 2012 at 6:34 am

2. Great article, Chris. Congratulations for taking your show on the road! Love how you've explained all you've been doing. Can't wait to talk to you soon.

Guest (Jan Schochet)June 22, 2012 at 10:53 am

3. It is great to be able to take your show on the road.

People like you provide inspiration.

We feel inspired by your journey because we now know that you can transform your life through the creative act of writing.

Those of us who are tired of punching the clock and being nagged by a boss can gain wisdom from your story.

We look forward to reading about your good times and challenging times on the road.

Please share your stories with your readers. We can't wait to read all about it. Thank you. Have a great day.

Archan MehtaJune 22, 2012 at 11:27 am

4. Chris, you further prove that the only reins that we bear in life are the ones we put on ourselves. Stay safe out there...and talk to you soon.

Estevan MontanoJune 22, 2012 at 4:18 pm

5. Hi Jim & Chris, So, so jealous of you guys! You are also such an inspiration and proof that we all can live the writers life. I'll be following you and using you as motivation to get my 'writer's life' well and truly into gear! Just a pity you aren't in Australia..so we could catch up.

MalcolmJune 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm

6. Hello Chris & Jim I recently joined AWAI and found your Blog. We have something in common. My wife and I are planning to do as you are doing. I have a website I want to promote while travelling, cooking-4-beginners. we're in Vegas until Jan. Will you be near anytime? I also want to write about our adventures on the road. Our RV is the "Rubber Tramp". Would like to meet others of similar minds, sharing travel & collecting recipes for future books. Hope to hear from you!
    Jim Rogers

Jim RJune 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

7. Hiya Chris and Jim! I sure hope you are coming down to So Oregon soon...Crater Lake is 1 of the 7 Wonders of the World. I am a new AWAI member and loving it! I can't wait to meet you guys and see how you got your business & your adventure off the ground.

Holly CJune 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

8. Hi Jim and Chris, You guys are living my dream I to want to live and work as a copywriter full time from my RV. I look foreward to meeting up with you guy asap I will try to make it to Seattle I have so many questions to ask you and need all the help you can give me. So I will be following you all on your journey and hope to catch up with you soon. Thx and be safe.

Ron WilsonJune 30, 2012 at 1:38 pm

9. Hi Chris, great post. It looks and sounds like you guys are having the time of your life. I have recently purchased the 6 Figure course (about 20% through it). Hope and pray that in a few years I can leave the stress of the corporate life and spend some long deserved time with my wife and two children. Thanks for stories. They are encouraging.

Eric SJune 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm

10. Chris & Jim ... I'm green with envy, and in a small way reinventing my life as well! While I don't know if living in an RV would work for me, I've been downsizing, so I can live and work from anywhere.

Also, I lost my Mom recently, and inherited a home in Southern California. I'm working on setting it up as a base-camp for folks looking for a location independent and minimalistic lifestyle. So ... if you're ever in the area, I'd love to meet up!

I can't wait to hear your stories, advice, etc.

Guest (Diane A)July 1, 2012 at 9:39 am

11. hi, great story! Where are u now in your travels? I'm near Chicago so i would love to join a meetup in the Wisconsin or Illinois area.

Have fun in your travels!
    Edna