Our Parents Were Right!

Yesterday I talked about the moment everything changed for me: the moment I decided to take real action and put my freelance website online.

If you're still not convinced, I have a theory that might help …

When we’re young, we don’t want to listen to our parents. We think they’re spoiling our fun or holding us back.

Then, one day we wake up and think, “Wow! My parents were right! They were just trying to pass on the knowledge they already learned so I could benefit from it. Oops. I wish I would have listened.”

Those who have come before us know things. They try to teach us lessons that will help us skip ahead. They say things like, “Choose a niche – any niche” and “You need a freelance website.”

But, it's tempting not to listen; to think that you can do this without a website. But, really you need a website because:

• You need a place to show your skills.
  • You need a way for clients to find and contact you, so you’re not always chasing jobs.
  • A website is a perfect sample of what you can do for your clients.
  • Adding a blog to your website is a great way to blog about what you’re learning.

I had to learn the hard way and experience it for myself. For me to believe it, I had to take that leap of faith, launch my site (and myself into the world) and see that it was okay.

Now I realize all the advice I received was right, and I desperately want to pass it on to other new writers … I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I did.

That’s why, tomorrow, I’ll share the easiest way to get moving on building your freelance website if you don’t have one yet. I hope you’ll listen and take my advice.

Please comment here to let me know what’s holding you back.

Build Your Freelance Website in Four Days

Build Your Freelance Website in Four Days

No matter what niche you’re in, if you’re a freelancer, you must have a website that showcases what you do. You can launch your own professional website in just 4 days. Experts show you every step. Learn More »

Published: March 19, 2013

13 Responses to “Our Parents Were Right!”

1. My freelance web writing site: robertgibb dot me

Couldn't get that dot com, but, I guess the URL doesn't matter much in the big scheme of things.

I have thought about buying a new domain and having it direct to the website, but I don't want to confuse people.

For instance, if they use a new domain chosen by me - say, awesomecopy dot com - to access my website then see it's acutally robertgibb dot me, I think confusion will arise?

Any thoughts on this Christina? Big fan of yours.

Robert GibbMarch 19, 2013 at 9:27 am

2. Hi Christina, this is the second attempt, the first comment was erased because I misspelled the words of the image??? it shouldn't happen (a suggestion) I was saying I probably will become a member of AWAI, now I'm involved in other program and until I get things running I'll wait, one step at a time.
    Best regards from Costa Rica

Guest (Guillermo)March 19, 2013 at 1:08 pm

3. capital investment is one issue--seriously need to keep costs contained; and I don't know all the components involved in deploying and maintaining a site.
    A "Web sites for Dummies" would be optimal for my addled self.

Guest (Larry)March 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm

4. Greetings Christina,

What is your URL for your site, I would like to see it, or maybe a few other URLs

thanks

Don

Guest (Don)March 19, 2013 at 6:03 pm

5. Ok, I'm convinced that I need to sign up for Rebecca's "Build your freelance website in 4 days class" I just have not been sure that I would be able to follow along fast enough to keep up with what I will need to complete during her course. I know absolutely nothing about how to do this. So, ok, I am signing up tomorrow.

Dale PerryMarch 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm

6. Need to get my first client to get the ball rolling.

Eric HammerMarch 19, 2013 at 6:15 pm

7. Hi Christina, I have only recently purchased the Accelerated Copywriting Programme, and am working my way through the lessons. So at this stage I am not fully aware of what copywriting (letters or web-based) entails. The cost of your website construction course (even discounted by $100) is not insignificant for me, and I wish to be committed to it before paying out further fees. Time will tell, as they say.

Nick FieldenMarch 19, 2013 at 8:05 pm

8. Other than fear and just beginning (litterally in installment one) my finances are my biggest problem. I would love to take your course and learn how to improve my website. It's there, but certainly needs work.
    I continue to work at it and learn what I can especially from the articles. They give me hope that if I keep plugging along and don't give up I'll get there.
    Thank you!

Guest (Amanda)March 19, 2013 at 9:46 pm

9. Greetings- You make a very valid point regarding chasing down jobs and the ability to direct people to your site. I currently have an account with Blogger, it is lohollodawn@gmail.com. It is one of the locations I use to blog on various topics. Does this count?

Thanks,

Rita Dunham

Guest (Rita D)March 19, 2013 at 10:35 pm

10. My problem was that I wasn't hungry - single with a constant 6 figure income let me do what I want.

Now I've got a sweetie pie and want to stay home with her instead of traveling all over to work.

I did some copywriting and could have done a lot more so now I'm taking it serious. The good thing is that I can keep my job and still have lots of time to go in the new direction until I can be financially free - not many people have that option.

Guest (Procrastinator)March 19, 2013 at 11:17 pm

11. I'm on the 6 figure copywriting course and signed up for the advanced web copywriting program. I would love to do the website making pgm, but finances just do not allow it. Frustrating. I need to just take things one step at a time. I'm going to have to go the freebie route for now. I appreciate your article.

Guest (Tina)March 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

12. Love your articles; I find them informative and inspiring. I am, however, only in the early stages of the accelerated copywriting course and feel I am not proficient enough yet to "put myself out there". Finances are also a big consideration. Hopefully,in a few more months, I'll be in a better position to take up your offer.

Guest (Teresa F)March 20, 2013 at 1:07 pm

13. TRUE STORY ...

I know exactly how our fellow readers feel. I felt the same about 'waiting' to have a freelancing website.

I have the same things happening with me ... especially budgets (ummm, I mean 'not enough money').

But then I found a service that lets me have a simple one-page site ... For only the cost of a coffee PER MONTH.

So Christine I did what you say.

To heck with perfection!

Hey, I even have a spelling mistake I am yet to correct.

Wanna see it and spot the error?

allwebcopy dot com (oh, almost forgot. The allwebcopy domain cost 10 bucks to register).

Thanks for the inspiration.

Mike SearlesMarch 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm