Your Support Network is Already in Place – Just Reach Out

When you decide to become a copywriter, it's critical that you find support from friends, family, and most importantly, other copywriters.

Lane Sennett back with you for The Writer's Life today. I can you tell from personal experience that other copywriters understand your situation in a way that friends and family cannot, and they can help you solve issues that come up.

Other copywriters can point you to an article with a good tip to help you overcome a specific obstacle in your path. And, reaching out to someone who is taking the same steps to the writer's life will often make you smile, giggle, and reinvigorate your motivation!

A great way to contact other copywriters is on the AWAI Facebook page, the AWAI LinkedIn group, the AWAI Forum, or on the Groupsite for the AWAI program you're in. I'm active in the communities for the Secrets to Writing High-Performance B2B Copy program and The Professional Writers' Alliance.

I work closely with two other writers I met at the B2B Copywriting Intensive last year. We set up a small mastermind and accountability group which meets once a week via a FreeConferenceCall.com phone number.

We hold each other accountable by listing our goals for the following week each session. Then, we report on what we actually did to move forward with our plans. We also share our web page and article drafts for review, as well as discuss new ideas, website updates, marketing tactics, and other programs we are working through to learn new skills.

I’m proud to say that we still all talk on a weekly basis although our “writer’s life” has taken different paths, and various twists and turns! One person in our group has moved into information marketing and the other self-published books on Amazon Kindle in addition to their B2B writing efforts.

Our weekly meetings have helped to keep me on track and working to a plan with deadlines. Without the need to report my progress each week, I would not have accomplished all of the steps on the path to B2B success in such a short period of time! Making those connections was an unexpected long-term benefit of going to the B2B Copywriting Intensive.

I also searched out other AWAI writers in my local area and met with a few to have coffee. I know that they are just a short drive away if I need some face-to-face sharing or encouragement.

I wouldn’t have gotten where I am without all that support.

Tomorrow we'll tackle another critical step — marketing your business. This was the scariest step for me to take, but I’ll help you get through it stress-free.

Need help or have questions about starting a support group or how to find resources? Let me know in the comment section here.

Published: April 10, 2013

12 Responses to “Your Support Network is Already in Place - Just Reach Out”

1. Can you please let me know if there are any B2B customers in my area (Manchester, TN, 37355)? I would like to talk to them and see what kind of projects they might possibly have. Thank you.

Guest (Patricia)April 10, 2013 at 1:12 pm

2. How can I locate AWAI B2B and Info Marketing copywriters to set up a support network in my local area? I live in Sarasota, FL. Thanks.

William3April 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm

3. Hi Lane, I would like to hook- up with some copywriters in Nashville, TN or anywhere. I am an internet researcher and AWAI member. My website will be up soon and I am taking the Website builder class that begins April 15 with Rebecca. Thanks, D. Cook

Guest (Diana )April 10, 2013 at 7:34 pm

4. Can anyone provide a link to learning about writing for the Kindle books, how to and who to. Thank you.
    Christine

Guest (Christine Munkerud)April 11, 2013 at 6:48 pm

5. I have really stalled out with working on the introductory one year 6 figure copywriting course. There have been some big life events from a large fire in our garage, to my three year old having issues and getting laid off. Support would be great because I am now balancing being a full time, stay at home mom with to finishing the course and starting a freelance career. It has been a stressful 2013. Any advice is welcome!

CMarple45April 12, 2013 at 5:00 pm

6. Hi Christine, I write Kindle books and would be happy to help you get started. Here is a link to Amazon's basic directions - kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A2MB3WT2D0PTNK. Please email me at kathy@wheelerwriting.com and I will happily answer any questions and provide you more guidance. Thanks!

Kathy WheelerApril 13, 2013 at 7:45 pm

7. Hi everyone, I live in Brazil and I will start a new business about editing event photos. I already do this for two outlets, but want to spread my options. I have an email database with about 20.000 email addresses. I need help with my copy and also would like to know a good email marketing business, like Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, or other. Could anyone help me finding a good one and could I submit my copy to be analysed? All and any help are truly welcome. Thank's a lot.

Frederico De PaolaOctober 31, 2013 at 1:49 pm