Shortcut to Life as a Paid Author

I think I’ve finally found my calling. As a writer, I mean.

Don’t get me wrong — I’ve enjoyed learning the art of copywriting for the past several years. It’s given me everything I wanted out of the writer’s life: income, free time, the ability to work from home, and more.

But like a lot of you, I’ve always wanted to write a book.

Till now, I’ve never been able to make it work. I didn’t want to invest a ton of time upfront and risk zero return on the backend.

More than that, I dreaded the idea of pouring my heart-and-soul into a project only to discover nobody wanted to read it.

Well, I can safely say that fear has fled! My salvation comes in the form of e-books.

Here’s the thing about e-books. If you follow anything Bob Bly does (and I’m a Bob Bly groupie — as is everyone I know who’s serious about making a living as a writer), then you’ve probably noticed something …

He writes and sells e-books. Those e-books cover a wide range of topics, but all are personal interests of his.

And he makes a killer income off them.

Oh, and the best part? It’s all passive income. Once Bob’s books are written and launched, they keep earning him money and he hardly has to lift a finger.

I’ve decided to follow Bob’s example and throw my hat into the world of e-books. If you’re up for it, I invite you to join me. In fact, I’ll spend the week sharing a five-step plan to get you started.

First up, you’ve got to choose a topic. Come up with something you’ll love writing about. (Remember, this shouldn't feel like work!)

As for me, I’ll be taking a sporty angle. My husband is a pretty serious triathlete. I’m not what you’d call serious (I have yet to compete), but I do know a lot about sitting on the sidelines and cheering him on (for five hours … with two toddlers in tow).

So that’ll be my e-book angle: The world of watching and competing in crazy-long-triathlons.

What about you? What topic would you most like to write about and someday turn into an e-book?

If you’re having trouble deciding, don’t hem and haw too long. You can always write an e-book on one subject and then switch topics down the road. Bob Bly has e-books on everything from writing to raising children to car tips.

Just think about things that interest you. Make a list of your hobbies or topics you discuss with your friends.

Above all, make sure it’s something you enjoy learning about. Then tell me about it here.

Bob Bly's Ultimate Guide to E-Book Writing Success

Bob Bly’s Ultimate Guide to E-Book Writing Success

Bob Bly shows you exactly how to build a six-figure passive income in under two years writing, publishing and selling your own e-Books. It’s the easiest, fastest, surest way to earn six figures. Learn More »

Published: April 29, 2013

32 Responses to “Shortcut to Life as a Paid Author”

1. I've have 25 pages finished on an e-book concerning running a dog boarding facility, however I'm skeptical that it will be popular, so I've been putting off finishing it.

Wally MountzApril 29, 2013 at 1:48 pm

2. Mindy - I'll take you up on the offer. I want to write about wine. Specifically, a book about a Recession Wine List.

JimFortuneApril 29, 2013 at 1:50 pm

3. Ok, Mindy... you put out the challenge. I love trail running/slogging here in Juneau, AK. I run trail ultramarathons. The training here is tremendous and extremely challenging with the mountains, snow, wind and rain. I am convinced its made me a stronger runner, both mentally and physically. I have a friend who leads a trail running camp here and I love assisting with it. I act as a guide and a trail mentor. This is a special place and I love sharing this country with outsiders. I wonder if there is a book in this?

Guest (John N)April 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm

4. Mindy, I've been making notes over the past year for an ebook on online dating in your 50s. The stories so far have been pretty interesting, --er, hysterical. Everyone I talk to says "you've gotta write this!" So, okay, you're on. Names will be changed, however...

Barbara CarsonApril 29, 2013 at 2:03 pm

5. Re. Jim Fortune: Recession Wine List sounds like a great idea, go for it!

Barbara CarsonApril 29, 2013 at 2:04 pm

6. Hi Mendy, Sounds good to me . . . My writing focus is natural health.I am already the author of "The Complete Guide to Growing and Using Wheatgrass: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply — Including Easy-to-Make Recipes" (Atlantic Publishing Group, 2011). E-book writing sounds interesting and promising. Now what shall I write about? Hmmm . . .

Guest (Loraine Degraff)April 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm

7. Hi Mindy, I've done a fair bit of traveling ranging from cruising to trips to developing countries. Upon my recent return from Asia, I've started trying to put together some articles about my ventures. The hardest part is finding the right market for my stories. I think this may be the opportunity I've been waiting for!

SharkyC101April 29, 2013 at 2:39 pm

8. Hi Mindy, Thanks for the inspiration and tip! I think you've hit on something! As a lover of writing, I have several books nearly ready to go. E-books would certainly be the attractive. Golf Health, Crossing the Veil, A Sci-Fi novel, Alternative Health. How much fun can a writer have!
    Thanks again, Dr. B

Guest (Doc Boatright)April 29, 2013 at 2:52 pm

9. Hi Mindy, I have decided to do the same thing as you! Copy the Bob Bly formula - we know that it works!
    I shall follow you with interest this week.

I'm based in Italy for the next three months as I'm hoping that I can make a full time copywriting career work from here.

I guess my e-book topic will have something to do with la bella vita but not quite sure what yet!...

Martin

Guest (Martin Smith)April 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm

10. I am a coffee lover and especially love trying different flavors, so I will write about this. I also enjoy gardening and using containers for gardening if you do not have enough yard space. And it seems at no matter what I do in life, I am always drawn to children and they to me. So I am sure that I will have to write about some or all of this.

FloApril 29, 2013 at 4:27 pm

11. Hi Mindy,

I'll gladly follow you this week to see what I can learn. I'm not interested in copywriting; I'm interested in writing a book, so I was glad to receive your email this morning.

I'm still stumbing my way to topic, but my top interests are: tasty, low-fat vegan food, interior design, and art...basically I'm interested in bringing beauty and healing to the world, or at least my little portion of it. I guess I'm listing two books here--one on why and how you should eat vegan, and another on creating a beautiful interior space.

I look forward to seeing what you have to share this week!

ValorieApril 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

12. My interests include:
    -quick and easy, tasty, low-fat vegan food
    -interior design
    -art
    -history
    -travel
    -encouraging wonder, adventure, good manners, kindness, compassion, truth, beauty and elegance I look forward to receiving your tips this week! Maybe I have enough ideas for more than one book.

ValorieApril 29, 2013 at 5:44 pm

13. Hi Mindy, I was interested in your thoughts and choosing something you love to write about is so important. I love to write about the human body, from the brains point of view, and all the interactions that go on inside on a routine basis such as what happens when you drink coffee? or Pass a kidney stone? Would like to put them in a package of some sort that resembles an e-book but not yet sure how to go about it or if it is a viable option. Just wanted to thank-you for planting the idea in my head. Take care, Dave

Guest (Dave)April 29, 2013 at 6:13 pm

14. Oh, this is exactly what I need right now. I've been stumbling about for a while searching for topics.
    As a person approaching an epic birthday this year, I want to help others age as gracefully and enjoyably as possible.
    Tall order? I guess but I'm passionate about the subject. In fact, I give credit to AWAI for helping me keep my brain active.
    Thanks people!

barbarjoApril 29, 2013 at 6:19 pm

15. Hi Mindy,

THanks for so much for this venue you've created. I'm jumping on board with this title, "How To Stop Addictive Behavior". Is that appropriate (too heavy?) for an e-book? Not sure. But honestly it's a book I would love to write. And when you think about the potential number of prospects! Holy Smokes! :)

Trent LockleyApril 29, 2013 at 6:29 pm

16. HI Mindy, I started an eBook on rescuing and fostering a puppy. It is based on personal experience. I started it before I started the Acc. Copywriting course so it was put aside for a time until I get my business up an running. Put aside but not forgotten. It was one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had, one I think will resonate with people.

Guest (Irene)April 29, 2013 at 6:33 pm

17. I spent the last 7 years as a care giver to my ailing wife. I had to learn a myriad of care-related things, ranging from planning a daily rigid routine that would guarantee no slip-ups under the most extreme pressure situations to dealing with hospitals, re-hab centers, in-home care facilitators, pharmacists and a plethora of physicians of a wide breath of specialties. I could write a book. In fact, I will take up your suggestion and attempt to organize all my experiences and helpful hints into a small e-book. What do you think? All that hell (my wife ultimately passed) has to benefit some other poor soul.

Guest (Roy Klinkert)April 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm

18. I would write about learning Argentina Tango at age 60. I would interview fellow students and the teachers about how it is for an older student to learn.

Guest (kathleen)April 29, 2013 at 7:16 pm

19. Wow! Bob Bly! I have a new program he put together and this one will mesh perfectly. I'm so excited! I am a landscape artist, an art teacher, a mobile notary and a gardener, among much else! Thanks Mindy!

Guest (Donna)April 29, 2013 at 9:44 pm

20. Hey Mindy

I am half way through an ebook on Personal Power, and how to claim it.

Interested to follow your journey.

Chad

Guest (ChadF)April 30, 2013 at 2:06 am

21. Hi Mindy,

I would like to write about attracting abundance , wealth, happiness, love and all things positive, through energy.

Guest (Shak)April 30, 2013 at 2:14 am

22. Mindy, I'm taking you up on the writing thing. IS am an educator and my passion is Learning Style Preference. I have written,(& published), on this topic in the past and I really want to become a serious writer in this field.

CasApril 30, 2013 at 10:09 am

23. I like your offer here and I think I will take you up on it. I have an ebook nearly finished called 'How to be Healthy No Matter What You Weigh'. I'd like to see how I can do with it.

Guest (Anna)April 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

24. i'll write on How to Win elections in Nigeria!

Guest (saint olaf)April 30, 2013 at 9:18 pm

25. How to ebook using horticulture to present wellness education for elders in assisted living and retirement communities,community senior centers and senior fairs/conferences. Audience: activities planners and individuals who present programs in elder venues.

Problem SolverMay 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

26. Ok Mindy, I'm joining in. (I'm a Bob Bly groupie too!). I have been directing theater for high school and community theaters for years. There has to be a market for people wanting to start, run and operate theater.

Shawn MausMay 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm

27. Hi Mindy, I can so relate with what you wrote...finding your calling...I thought I've already done what I am supposed to, but it's only a month ago that I discovered that I'm being called for something, which is writing. I am totally inexperienced, but the passion is there; I just don't know how, when, and where to start plus the big F strikes me, my FEAR. I'm giving it not only a try but a chance! I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance!!!

Guest (Anna)May 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm

28. Thanks for this great article. One of the guys in my mastermind group suggested I do an e-book on speed-reading. So far this year, I've read 78 books. I've mind mapped the contents and created headings and subheadings for the first chapter in Scrivener.

Daniel G TaylorJune 17, 2013 at 7:38 am