Where Has All the Motivation Gone?

Hi there, it’s Rae Robinson taking over The Writer’s Life for the week.

The other day, I was at my desk doing everything I was supposed to be doing: writing out my goals, planning out drafts, responding to emails … when I realized that while I was being productive, I just wasn’t excited.

Here I am, living the writer’s life ­successfully … working from my home office, on my schedule, on projects I love, at rates that I set …

But I hadn’t leapt out of bed that morning, like I did on January 1st. I didn’t have that burning New Year’s motivation anymore. My thrust was all gone.

Can you relate?

It’s not that you and I don’t have big goals – I know I do, it’s called “the six-figure mark!”

It’s not that we’re not passionate enough …

So what is it that happens between New Year’s Eve and the end of the first quarter? Where has all that motivation gone?

I wanted to find out how to summon motivation at a moment’s notice—because I know it could have a really positive effect on my work.

Whether you’re working on an AWAI program or just starting to market yourself as a copywriter … imagine the benefits of having instant motivation at your fingertips.

The more motivated you are to succeed, the faster you’ll achieve your goals. Those achievements will increase your confidence and make you even more motivated to keep succeeding.

It’s an incredible chain reaction that you can start right now.

First, start by reconnecting with the goals you set back on January 1st. Remember why you set them and how excited you were to achieve them. What has changed since then?

Second, try a dose of instant inspiration from one of these places:

• Read some of the inspiring stories on the AWAI Wall of Fame
  • Check out the new jobs from big companies on DirectResponseJobs.com
  • Go through the AWAI programs you have—there may be some exciting bonuses you didn’t realize you have!
  • Read the AWAI 10K Challenge page, and Mindy, Roy, and Guillermo’s inspiring success stories
  • Watch an inspiring video on YouTube. It could be about business success, inspiring artists, faith, a music video … anything that gets you jazzed up!

Third, rate how motivated you feel right now. “1” is completely unmotivated and “10” being the most motivated ever. Share your rating with me in the comments below—because on Friday, we’re going to revisit that number and see how it’s changed!

I’d also love to hear about your “go to” motivational tips and tricks in the comments.

Finally, stay tuned this week, because I’ll be bringing you the fruit of my research … including four ways to find your motivation and keep it coming on a daily basis.

But for now, look at how motivated you feel about your career. Are you lacking? Has your New Year’s momentum petered off? What usually gets you motivated and is it still working?

Share with me in the comments section, and we’ll get started full blast tomorrow!

Published: April 1, 2013

9 Responses to “Where Has All the Motivation Gone?”

1. Your article is just what I need when I needed it! After 10 years of working at my job I was officially given notice that my job is terminated. At 56 with two girls in college it is hard to get motivated with all the panic attacks butting in. I have seriously considered the writing career but have been so engrossed in day to day living that I just wasn't inspired enough to make the big leap. Instead of a big leap I have a huge hole. So your inspirational article is just what I needed. Thank You!

Guest (Barbara)April 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm

2. Hi Rae, My motivation is about a 7 but with caution. I ordered AWAI material years ago but wasn't in the right frame of mind to pursue the work. Now I feel more motivated to give things a go. I love writing but, like many writers, I hit a wall of self-criticism and turn back.Don't mean to make this a "Dr. Phil" segment:-) Just wanted to thank-you for your nice note of encouragement and guiding me to the wall of fame where I read the success stories and asked myself, "Why not me and why not now?" Will look into ordering some course work when I can afford to. Look forward to your end of the week summary. Take care, Dave

Guest (Dave)April 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm

3. Motivation is always tricky, isn't it? I find myself wavering between a 5 and a 10. Some days it's gone even lower! A lot of it has to do with self-confidence.

I had an extreme work situation come up today that was yet another reminder why creating this writer's life is so important to me. Not to go into too much detail, it was just an example of how little respect my employer has for its employees. Nothing more motivating that wanting to get away from that!

Beyond that, I've found a few things that can be really helpful:

1) You can get free notes from "The Universe" at tut.com.

They just send little inspirational messages to your inbox every day. I signed up years ago and I still enjoy getting them :).

2)Write often! This website was mentioned somewhere else on AWAI, but it definitely needs to be shared again.

750words.com

All it does is provide a blank page for you to write 750 words a day every day. It tracks the words that you use and tells you

Guest (Robert)April 1, 2013 at 4:21 pm

4. My previous comment was too long (sorry!) so it was cut off... but to sum up:

750words.com tracks your writing and gives a LOT of data on your state of mind while writing, how fast you write, productivity, etc... It's amazing.

It's also private.

And free!

Guest (Robert)April 1, 2013 at 4:36 pm

5. I'm fired up every day of my life, because I love my work. After we sold our Advertising, Marketing & Public Relations firm in Atlanta 12 years ago my wife and I built a home on an island in South Carolina. I get up every morning between 4 and 6 am, make coffee then watch the sun come up over the ocean and work. But what motivates me most is that I let God handle the stress and worry. My job is to create the best concepts and copy within my ability. He takes care of the rest.

Guest (Jim Pringle)April 1, 2013 at 4:38 pm

6. Hi Rae,

Thanks for the timely prod! I acted on two of your suggestions before I got through the article. That, in itself was motivating. I do appreciate that!

As a somewhat stuck but determined wannabe, I've been writing daily for myself and my chiropractic business since October. It's completely transforming the chiropractic business, but I really want to cut that all loose and write full time for clients other than myself.

As a young, successful writer, living the writer's life, do you have any tips for an old man on how one starts that process?

Thanks, Doc

Doc BApril 1, 2013 at 8:26 pm

7. My motivation is about a 7-8 today. I started the AWAI Copywriter Companion Series in February but fell behind due to work and life. I restarted the Course last week after reading Masterson's book "Persuasion," and using some of the tips he suggested ~ now I'm writing daily, and seriously working the Course, taking small steps to keep moving forward. There are too many interesting things to do and I have a hard time staying focused! Hope to change that! Your words of inspiration help!

Dawn BaumanApril 1, 2013 at 8:37 pm

8. Thank you very much Ms. Robinson,

I have only been skimming through the articles until now because I'm just getting started and have not finished reading the course yet. I keep wondering why "these people" keep trying to sell me something even before I complete the course. "They don't care. Here we go again. I wonder if this is another scam?" You made me think about why I started in the first place by sending me back to January 1st. Motivation level 10, again!

Guest (Jaunot)April 5, 2013 at 10:33 am