7,365 Copywriting Jobs Reveal Your Best Niche
Yesterday, you made a list of possible niches for your writing business … areas where you have personal or professional interest or experience.
Today, we’re going to start the process of linking those interests with “hot” niche markets that need copywriters.
Here are two ways to see who’s hiring writers, and perhaps uncover the perfect niche for you.
1. First, visit the most popular job websites to search for clues.
Start with these three job websites to find out who’s looking for copywriters, editors, social media content writers, marketing writers, web/SEO writers, etc., in hundreds of different niches:
All you do is type the word “copywriter” into the box and hit SEARCH.
For instance, today I visited SimplyHired.com and saw that there are 7,365 jobs related to the word “copywriter.”
Also try entering “editor,” “social media,” web content,” or even “[the niche you’re interested in] copywriter.”
You may find that the first two websites mostly include postings for full-time copywriting positions, working from home or in an office. I know many copywriters who are happy with the predictability of that arrangement.
If you prefer to be an independent freelancer, try FlexJobs.com, which mainly posts telecommuting jobs and freelance opportunities. (Please be advised, FlexJobs.com does charge a fee.)
I encourage you to try this exercise now to discover MANY different industries that are anxious to find skilled writers immediately. You’re sure to find many niches that match your interests.
2. Let’s look at another source of clues for finding the right niche industry.
It’s DirectResponseJobs.com (DRJ), which is a job site managed by AWAI.
It’s filled with the latest full-time and freelance opportunities including spec assignments just for AWAI copywriters.
Many of the companies that post writing jobs on this site know and understand the value of hiring an AWAI-trained writer.
I encourage you to browse all the DRJ listings and see if you can find jobs in a niche industry that excites you. For instance …
- Do you have a background in the healthcare or pharmaceutical industry? These are both HUGE markets that spend big bucks on marketing. You’ll find a pharmaceutical content position as well as a freelance healthcare/marketing writer position on DRJ.
- Interested in fashion, makeup, and fragrances? I just noticed that DRJ lists jobs with Ralph Lauren, Neiman Marcus, and Sierra Trading Post. The retail niche is scrambling to find skilled content writers.
- How about the travel industry? This is another MASSIVE market, and I can see a fun Trek Travel freelance copywriter position in DRJ.
As you research all the DRJ job openings available right now (full-time, part-time, and freelance), start making a list of the markets you see most often … or companies that match up with a few industries you’re interested in. You’ll begin to see that there are all kinds of opportunities. More than you probably expected!
Tomorrow I’ll show you one more excellent place to find niche industries that are hiring copywriters … and how to connect with potential prospects in the industry of your choice.
Have fun with your search and see what jumps out at you.
If you do find something that’s exciting for you, I’d love to know about it. Please leave a comment!
How to Choose Your Writing Niche: Your Step-by-Step Blueprint for Finding a Niche that’s Right for You
Need to pick a niche for your freelance business? Learn how to do it once and for all, and watch your business grow. Learn More »