Why B2B is a Great Niche for Freelancers
This week, we’ve talked about several ways to create passive or predictable income as a freelance writer …
The B2B — or Business-to-Business — niche definitely qualifies. Everywhere I turn, I hear how it’s the most secure niche because there’s less risk …
It’s a large industry — $6.5 trillion large — and there aren’t enough copywriters to handle the demand …
You won’t have to “sell” anything because no-fluff and informative copy is what works in this niche, which focuses on businesses promoting their products and services to other businesses.
It’s a dream niche — and if I were starting today — and wanted to make the leap as quickly as possible — I’d choose B2B.
But, how can you tell if it’s right for you?
Today’s action item is to try one of my favorite decision-making processes: Start a “pros and cons” list.
For B2B, on the pro side you might list:
- There’s a lot of work available (it will be easy to find projects and get paid).
- There is a shortage of qualified B2B writers (less competition).
- B2B is pretty easy to break into (in other words, you can get started quickly).
- You don’t have to write hyped-up sales copy (or maybe you want to … in that case, this would be on your “con” side).
- The pay is great! (Always a plus!)
On the con side you might have:
- B2B projects rarely pay royalties (but a
- You might not get a lot of recognition as a B2B writer. (This may be on your “pro” list if you’re shy or want to stay “under-the-radar.”)
- B2B is a distraction to what you’re currently doing. (If you already have a path, read this article to decide if B2B is something you should pursue.)
If you’re still not sure, get a better understanding of B2B and the type of writing you’ll be doing by reading about the $20-million toaster.
You’ll probably be surprised by the amount of marketing materials that go into a B2B campaign.
If you’d like to know more, you can find out how to get started with B2B here.
Tomorrow we’ll talk about my favorite predictable income stream — and how you can start right away even if you’re currently a beginner.
In the meantime, why are you pursuing the writer’s life? Will you give B2B a try? Go here to join the discussion.
The Professional Writers’ Alliance
At last, a professional organization that caters to the needs of direct-response industry writers. Find out how membership can change the course of your career. Learn More »