Finding B2B Clients

If you've been following my blogs this week on Business-to-Business, or B2B, copywriting, you may be surprised by today's message.

Because I want to talk to you about … real estate agents.

I have a client who provides training programs for Realtors, so I know a little something about this group.

There are many real estate agents making six-figures each year. Yet, the market is crazy competitive. I don't know about your town, but there's a real estate agent's face posted on every park bench in mine!

Realtors work incredibly hard to find clients and get listings. It's not uncommon to have a dozen agents competing over a single listing!

What does all this have to do with B2B copywriting?

As a B2B copywriter, you have, in my opinion, the same income potential as real estate agents. Yet, the market isn't nearly as competitive.

That doesn't mean you won't have to make a determined effort to find clients, especially when starting out. But you won't have to work nearly as hard at it as Realtors do.

Why is that?

For one thing, the market is huge. There are hundreds of thousands of B2B companies in the United States and Canada that have more than 50 employees. Not all use freelance copywriters, but many do.

Secondly, there's a shortage of good B2B copywriters. In fact, marketing managers often tell me that although there are plenty of copywriters around, few understand how to write B2B copy.

That means there's a healthy demand for B2B copywriting services.

And when there's a demand for what you do, getting clients and well-paying projects is easier. Not a cakewalk by any means. But easier.

And here's more good news. You only need a base of three or four good clients to fill your schedule. (Unlike Realtors, who need dozens.)

Tomorrow I'm going to talk about how to leverage your education and experience to get a head start in B2B copywriting. Don't miss it!

B2B Copywriting Secrets

Secrets of Writing High Performance B2B Copy

Learn everything you need to know to succeed as a B2B copywriter from marketing your services to writing copy and everything in between. Learn More »

Published: October 2, 2013

8 Responses to “Finding B2B Clients ”

1. Steve, About 3 years ago, I took your course Secrets Of Writing High-Performance B2B Copy. You know that thing about having a base of 3-4 clients? fuggedaboudit.

I have ONE client. In a very teensy, narrow niche. I'm using 5 AWAI-trained writers (besides me) to get the work done now, and he's doubling his content budget in January. Guess who's getting that additional work?

I don't have time for 3-4 clients!

Thanks for the excellent jump start to a satisfying (and busy) occupation.

Dave

dsharpeOctober 2, 2013 at 2:19 pm

2. Thanks for the the teleconference. I'm leaning toward B@B as my nitch and looking forward to working with you and/ or your staff.

Guest (Dianne)October 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm

3. Hi Dave

I've just started with the Accelerated Copywriting program and it pleases me no end to read your comments about B2B.
    I am semi-retired and have ample time to devote myself to writing.

ChrisbeeOctober 3, 2013 at 2:30 am

4. Steve, Great teleconference the other night. A question: should the U.S. economy continue to lag, or even get worse, how do you see that impacting B2B marketing budgets? Would you anticipate most of the small to medium sized companies cutting their copywriting budget? Curious if the big recession of 2007-2008 had any negative influence on your B2B copywriting assignments?

thanks, KT

KTFloridaOctober 3, 2013 at 8:10 am

5. KT, I saw a stat the other day (eMarketer, I think), that B2B content spending was UP by 15% this year, and expected to increase next year.

Good writing has become more important than ever in this economy--marcom doesn't incur HR costs.

From my perspective, I see only growth, despite (or maybe because of) the lagging economy. Remember, my client is doubling his content budget for next year. That means that every month, he will be spending more than a lot of people earn in an entire year....

dsharpeOctober 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

6. Steve:

Great pitch in The Writers Life email! best, tom & karla

TomOctober 5, 2013 at 10:01 am

7. @dsharpe,KTFlorida,Chrisbee,Dianne, Dsharpe,I recently found Steve's twitter account and I noticed it is easier to get in contact with him through his twitter page. Here it is.
    twitter dot com / steveslaunwhite

Guest (Luis)October 5, 2013 at 12:58 pm

8. Steve,

I'm interested to hear your take on offering B2B copywriting services to other English Speaking countries outside of the U.S. such as the U.K., Canada, Ireland, New Zealand...etc.

Could this be a good strategy to avoid a heavy dependence on the US economy?

I'd appreciate your two cents on this.

Guest (Angela M Davis)September 18, 2015 at 1:40 pm