Commit to Be in the Moment

Hi, Loralei Matisse here.

This week, I’m going to give you some fun tips and motivation to get you writing by using lessons I learned from the world of improv.

Improv is a theater performance without rehearsal or script. Everything from characters and story to dialogue is a creative collaboration of the actors.

There are so many things I love about improv. It’s creative, spontaneous, and adaptable. Improv makes me think on my feet. It also makes me commit.

Most of all, it keeps me in the moment.

Now, in the moment may sound new-agey, even a bit woo-woo. But stay with me.

Commitment and staying present are two principles I’ve applied to my writing business.

But how do you, someone who dreams of the writer’s life, commit to your writing? How do you stay present when life pulls you in many directions?

Let’s do a quick three-step exercise on committing and staying present.

First, take a moment and write down what the writer’s life means to you.

Focus here on what it looks like to you … what it feels like. Is it having the freedom to work from anywhere in the world? Or, is it making six figures to provide you and your family with financial security? Write down as many details as possible.

For me, what the writer’s life looks like is coastal living – Florida, Belize, somewhere with a beach and warm weather. It’s the freedom to work with clients in the animal welfare niche. Traveling, learning new languages like French and Hebrew, and meeting new people.

Okay … do you have your picture?

Second, I want you to … commit to your writing and your freelance career. Write it down. Declare it out loud.

By putting words to paper, you make the dream real. It’s a commitment. There’s no turning back. The curtain has been pulled open, and you’re now on the stage of your life.

The final step is a trick for staying in the moment with your learning and writing.

It’s scheduling.

For me, each morning I dedicate 20 minutes just for learning new tools and skills. With my writing, I schedule two 33-minute sessions. It’s a tip I took from Eugene Schwartz, a writer who – because of this routine – never had writer’s block.

During these scheduled times, I stay present in what I’m doing.

So, for today, do the following:

• Get clear on your version of the writer’s life
  • Commit to your writing and freelance career
  • Schedule your learning and writing times

I’d love to hear what your writer’s life looks like and what commitments you’ve made to your freelance career. Share your comments here.

Tomorrow, I’ll share an improv technique every actor has to do before anything happens. And, if you do it, you might just realize the writer’s life faster than you thought.

AWAI’s State of the Industry Summit

Watch Video

Sign up to attend for free, from home!

Published: January 20, 2014

6 Responses to “Commit to Be in the Moment”

1. Thanks Loralei Matisse;

I am committed to writing 500 words daily, giving priority to remembered dream details.

I almost quit at 300 words this morning, rationalizing that later I would complete 500.

Commitment would not allow this, neither would the"Present Moment." Hope you like Matisse as much as I do.

Guest (kippax williams)January 20, 2014 at 2:26 pm

2. I am a week into a 30-30 commitment I devised to jumpstart my copywriting career. It's been a year since I completed the Six-Figure Course and I've not applied it. I am writing 30 minutes every night--after a 10 hour day as a lawyer--for thirty days. I expect ny then it will be a habit I'm hooked on. I will schedule 20/20 minutes of learning/writing after that. Thank you for the great idea.

Guest (Dan Fahlgren)January 20, 2014 at 3:28 pm

3. Hi Loralei! Loved this.
    My picture is writing about golf and gardening (my 2 passions) and playing golf and in the garden when I want to.
    My commitments have been the investment in the Accelerated Program for 6-figure Copywriting and setting deadlines for when I plan to resign from my full time job to pursue writing as a living.
    Telling family of these plans has been an exclamation point on that commitment, too.

Guest (Darren Stout)January 20, 2014 at 6:47 pm

4. I'm transitioning from a longtime bumpy career as a tech writer for non profits to a copywriter. Just began blogging and hopefully generate business. I must say one challenge is scheduling time for learning as there is a lot for me to read and absorb. I got total commitment for learning and finding clients for what I write. My portfolio is dated and mostly tech writing for non profits, I would like to generate ghost and copy writing gigs through my blogs but am just a beginner.

Guest (HannaK)January 20, 2014 at 11:58 pm

5. I am just today starting my Accelerated Six Figures to Copywriting course and I am excited. I love the welcoming emails and the exercises already! I am clear on my vision of the writer's life (since it's been a dream that has been buried for years and just coming to surface now)and I am committed to following the program and doing whatever you tell me to do. I will study 30 mins and write 30 mins everyday for the next 30 days and see where I'm at then! Thanks

Guest (Lilly Bell)January 21, 2014 at 4:17 pm

6. Hi Loralei. Thanks for your teaching. It is helping me re-invent myself, transitioning from a school administrators job. I also feel that I'm getting back in the saddle-in life-after mourning my wife. I have a sense of purpose again. I feel challenged. I feel energized, just like the bunny! I'm looking forward to seeing something that I've put together be accepted as quality work. I listened to Ogilvie and will do again and again. Thank you for everything

Mike ShepherdJanuary 5, 2016 at 7:00 pm