The Fuel That Keeps Your Engine Running

Success doesn’t happen overnight. You need to be committed to taking daily action in order to achieve your big-picture goal of becoming a successful freelance writer.

You’re committed, confident, and have an action plan … so today, I want to share with you a way to stay motivated, so you can continually move forward toward your goal. This is the fuel that will keep your engine running on your road to success, regardless of what you encounter along the way. It’s the secret sauce for success …

• Find your “why.”

Earlier this week, we touched on your “big picture.” Today, I want you to write down a list of reasons why you want to achieve this goal. When your ”why” is strong, it will help motivate you to keep moving toward your goal.

For example, my big-picture goal is to become a seven-figure copywriter living with my family in Wanaka, New Zealand.

Why? Because Wanaka is an amazing place to raise our family. (We lived there once before, and the lifestyle suits us.) I also want to get out of six-figure debt and never go there again. And, I want a successful business that offers flexibility and freedom.

• Create a network and mastermind group.

Surround yourself with people who can support what you’re doing and keep you motivated. Join Facebook and LinkedIn groups. Creating a group of freelance writing peers who “get it” is a great way to keep you on target, get helpful feedback, and gain a source of inspiration on the days you’re lacking some.

These groups can provide a valuable “coordination of knowledge and effort,” which is essential for sustained long-term success you’re after as a freelance writer.

I’m part of a copywriting mastermind group and I have an accountability partner. Both keep me on track and motivated to succeed.

• Develop discipline and good habits.

This is where you bring together your written goals and action steps with your lists of motivations and obstacles.

By working through your action plan and taking committed action every day, you’ll have positive outcomes regularly. And, as a result, you’ll build up the motivation you need to reach your goals.

I spend 20 minutes first thing every morning reviewing my big goals, my “why,” and my daily schedule.

• Celebrate all your victories.

When starting your freelance writing business, it can sometimes feel like you’re not seeing any real results. But the truth is by working through your AWAI program, mastering your skills, and prospecting for clients, you’re accomplishing big things. And you’re creating the foundation for your future career success.

So, be sure to celebrate when you complete a practice exercise, cold call a list of prospects, and so on. You’ve achieved a lot even just getting to where you are right now. Celebrate that.

How do I celebrate? With a glass of whisky. Here’s to you, Hemingway!

Stay motivated, celebrate often, and success will be yours for the taking.

Leave me a comment here and tell me how you stay motivated. Tomorrow, I’ll share the small single steps you can take that will add up to one giant leap of progress.

No ratings yet
Published: March 13, 2014

10 Responses to “The Fuel That Keeps Your Engine Running”

1. My "Why" is seemingly never ending! The Bad Whys of, being overcharged for satellite and cell service, to why my son used all the car wax when I need to clean my Corvette. then there are the whys that calm me down and make me want to get at this creative venture after three weeks of procrastination. The better looking retirement, the spoiling of my grandchildren, buying my husband that Challenger R/T. So it boils down to the WHY NOT ME! I am so ready for this!

VixstarMarch 13, 2014 at 4:37 pm

2. ...an attitude of gratitude is my secret to staying focused and motivated...gratitude opens you up to help of all kinds...existence is waiting to fulfill our dreams but often we shut it out with negative feelings like...life is hard...everybody is out to cheat me...when these feelings come up I identify them as an inadequate cognizance and immediately remember everyone and everything I am thankful for in that moment...the obstacles start to melt down...and focus and motivation expand.

BrahmanjnanaMarch 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm

3. I stay motivated by looking at my outdated kitchen. My income is going to buy my husband and I a whole new kitchen this year, I'm determined to make it happen!

This is a great article with lots of useful fuel for that fire, thanks!

Guest (Jenn Flynn-Shon)March 13, 2014 at 5:01 pm

4. I stay motivated by getting on the computer every morning and studying some more on the Accelerated Income Program as well as reading other's stories of how they got here. I have been unable to work since my near-fatal accident in August, so I have plenty of time to devote to getting on through the program. If you all can do it, so can I. My desire to be a success propels me forward! Thank you for your inspiration! My only regret is that I don't have enough money to participate in all the workshops!

Guest (Willow Rose)March 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

5. Hi Scott,

Great article! In it you mention you are a member of a mastermind copy writing group for support. Since I am just starting out and am in the process of going through AWAI's accelerated program, I am wondering if I could join the same mastermind copy writing group. Let me know.

Tim

Tim SchoenMarch 13, 2014 at 8:54 pm

6. My why is not having to go back to work full time. I want to leave the frozen wasteland I know as the State of Vermont and move south. I also want to have enough money to travel.

I also write novels but I'm not published. My why would also include improving my writing so I can get published.

My husband and I have always struggled financially. I don't want to do that anymore and I want to leave something for my two kids when I'm gone.

Guest (Angela)March 13, 2014 at 10:02 pm

7. I'm starting a new career as a writer (after working many years in a corporate environment). I suppose that in itself is motivation.

Having said that, a big "why" for me is the hope that perhaps my writing might help and/or inspire others.

LoriMarch 14, 2014 at 1:34 pm

8. Sweet as mate, like it. Your article nails it.
    Why, Network, Focus/Discipline, and Reward, all valid and valuable advice. The comment you made about living in Wanaka caught my eye instantly. I'm a Kiwi, born in Central Otago, friends and family live there. I'm living in Florida enjoying the sunshine state and I've just started the Accelerated Program, which has me hooked already. Looking forward to the journey. Thanks mate, Cheers

garyshanefrancisMarch 14, 2014 at 6:31 pm

9. Thanks for the great tips. As a teacher, I tell my students that if they desire an "A"...- figure out their BIG "Why". The how will reveal itself. One key to tapping into their "WHY" is to not live their parents dreams...and only focus on THEIR dreams. A lot of students (and adults, as well) live other peoples dreams. I strongly recommend reading "The Richest Man in Babylon" and applying the authors simply but powerful system of debt reduction and wealth building. The book is an easy read and obtainable in most large bookstores as well as online.

Guest (Brad Henson)March 16, 2014 at 8:19 am

10. After suddenly losing my spouse due to heart attack, I want to expand my horizons and learn how to copywrite for success. According to all the articles that I read every-day, this brings me desire to want more for my family.

Guest (jretire2010yahoocom)June 2, 2014 at 11:52 pm