Peaceful 3-Step Process to
Overcome Procrastination

Procrastination is probably the biggest obstacle for writers to overcome.

That’s been true of countless writers I’ve worked with over the years, whether they have decades of writing experience under their belts or are just beginning.

This hurdle descends on writers for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it’s because you don’t have enough direction on a project. Other times it’s because you doubt your ability, or you’re afraid of what will happen after the project is over.

I’ve been talking about the value of meditation this week. One of the most profound ways it can help you is when it comes to productivity.

I was reading an article in the Harvard Business Review the other day, which talked about the importance of learning to resist impulses. If you can resist impulses, you’re more likely to make better decisions and use your time with intention. And meditation helps you resist impulses.

Your ability to resist impulses is actually one of the single biggest determinants of whether you can overcome a bad habit (like procrastination) or learn a new behavior (like writing without hesitation).

I’ve always liked my mentor, Dr. Annechild’s take on procrastination – she’s the meditation and hypnosis expert I’ve mentioned over the past few days. As a published author, Dr. Annechild has firsthand insight into the minds of writers.

She recommends viewing the procrastinator within you as a small child. That child may need to be acknowledged and comforted, but like any parent can attest, that child needs to be firmly told what will and won’t happen.

If you’ve set your sights on life as a well-paid writer, then firmly tell that child you will be writing today.

Follow that with this 3-step process to push past distractions and tame procrastination:

1. Use slow and conscious breathing to calm your mind. Start with 10 slow, deep breaths.
  2. Observe your inner thoughts about procrastination. Be as neutral as possible as you consider whether you’re held back by fear, or uncertainty, or anything else.
  3. Now visualize what it will feel like to let those barriers float away. Breathe calm throughout your body and picture your writer’s life with all your goals completed or in-progress.

Do you tend to procrastinate? What other solutions work for you? Tell me here.

Tomorrow, I’ll wrap up the week by showing you how meditation can help you secure long-term success as a profitable writer.

Meditations for Writers

Accessing the Writer Within: A 21-Day Journey to Unlocking and Unleashing Your True Writing Potential

With these twice-daily meditations for writers, you’ll immediately start to enjoy better creativity, greater productivity, bigger success, and more happiness. Learn More »

Published: July 10, 2014

9 Responses to “Peaceful 3-Step Process to Overcome Procrastination”

1. I learned this long ago, so I don't often procrastinate. My method is visualizing The End. With copy, I write the offer and final lift first. With fiction, I plan and often create my final scene first. That way, I know where I'm going, and I see it in my mind as I write. Works for me.

Guest (Pat McCord)July 10, 2014 at 4:12 pm

2. Procrastination is my enemy! It is a monster that I live with!!

I plan my day and use the carrot and stick approach. I tell myself I can have lunch (or something) when I'm finished a task; or I cant have/do something if I don't complete. Some days I win, some days the procrastination monster wins.

I am really looking forward to starting this program. I'm hoping it will help me slay the monster within.

Great tip from Pat- I am going to try that one too.

Guest (Lesley)July 11, 2014 at 2:07 am

3. I VISUALIZE A NO ENTRY SIGN IN MY MIND.
    Every time I talk about doing it tomorrow the no entry sign pops up and the

Do it now sign pops up

Guest (maria sandows)July 11, 2014 at 1:42 pm

4. CAN PROCRASTINATION BE A GOOD HABIT?
    By Ray Kirwin 2014

Let me suggest a way to use one bad habit to overcome all your other bad habits.

My suggestion is to use procrastination to your benefit. whenever you decide to put off doing something useful to you and decide to do something that is not useful to you......procrastinate.

Say to yourself, "I will do the thing that is not useful to me....tomorrow".

Then, in response to the useful thing, say, "I WILL DO IT NOW".

Just start the useful thing. Don't spend a lot of time thinking or planning. Just dive in and start doing something to accomplish the useful thing.

Didn't Aristotle say, "Well begun is half done."?

Sometimes, bad habits can be useful to you.

Guest (Ray Kirwin)July 11, 2014 at 2:47 pm

5. Dear katie,

Thank you for writing a great article that needed to be addressed regarding procrastination. Many people may or maynot know that procrastination is a dream stealer because it stagnates the person into putting off what they can should and needs to do. However, here is a very positive solution. THE UNTAPPED POWER OF PRAYER TO THE ALL MIGHT GOD HIMSELF!!! PRAYER IS THE BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!!! Pray can and will revolutionize break down barriers, walls roadblocks,set you free.

Guest (anonymous)July 11, 2014 at 6:30 pm

6. Great article, Katie. Thanks for sharing this info and for the intro to Annette. I look forward to joining the course on Monday!

Here's my easy iphone procrastination solution: I set the timer on my phone for 15 minutes and get started on the task I'm trying to avoid. I know I *only* have to do it for 15 minutes...but by then, I'm either done or I'm into it and WANT to finish so I just keep going. Woot! Works like a charm for me -- when I remember to use it -- even with writing projects. :)

Guest (Carrie)July 11, 2014 at 6:31 pm

7. Dunno if I am doing thus right but have not missed a session. Will probably have to listen one more time but SEE progress having tried yoga but always UNABLE to quiet my mind and gave up. I'm the one constantly sharpening the axe and still fear trying to chop down the cherry tree. STILL a deer in the headlights but this program is awesome! Thank you Katie for bringing Annette into our world. MY a.m. Session ends & I open my eyes into sunlight streaming into "my room"!

Gypsy RoverJuly 23, 2014 at 11:20 am

8. I'm a fundraiser who is plagued by procrastination. Making cold calls is the "monster" I face everyday. Believe me I KNOW what 'cold sweat' feels like. Writing to someone I don't know is easy. I'm totally unafraid with words on paper etc. Thanks for the 3 Step Process I will use it.

BrittMarch 14, 2016 at 9:34 pm