How to Be a Wiser (and Richer) Writer

Hi. Katie Yeakle here … happy to have the chance to spend this week with you.

I’ve watched lots and lots of people attempt the writer’s life over the past 17 years.

Want to know which ones have had the most success – both in terms of wealth and satisfaction?

It’s the writers who know how to discipline their minds.

Please don’t misunderstand that. I’m not talking about following a regimented, rigid writing schedule. You certainly don’t have to be the kind of person who irons your jeans and tucks your bed sheets into hospital corners to be a wealthy writer.

You do, however, need to write.

And that’s the challenge so many talented AWAI members face.

The fact that you’re reading this newsletter and actively pursuing information to excel as a well-paid writer shows me you have what it takes to make it in this world.

But you’re certainly not alone if, when it comes to sitting down and actually doing the writing, you sometimes get stuck.

So this week, I’d like to introduce a new approach to making sure your writing goals come true.

The approach itself isn’t new – it’s somewhere around 5,000 years old. But through the centuries, this method has helped thousands upon thousands of people live happier, more focused and productive lives.

Some report it’s even improved their health. It helps them sleep better and increases blood flow, especially to the brain.

In fact, just last month I read an article about how traders on Wall Street use this method to dramatically increase profits – and it works.

The method I’m talking about is meditation, which has gone mainstream in recent years. No longer is it a “hippie thing” for long-haired visitors to mountain retreats.

These days, meditation is recognized as a valuable tool for anyone who wants to get the most satisfaction out of life … be it their career, their personal life, or anything else that’s important to them.

Over the years, I’ve learned key meditation and mindfulness practices from my personal mentor Dr. Annette Annechild. Not only does she have a PhD and over 20 years of counseling experience, but Annette is also a writer!

She’s written and published 10 books, so she definitely has some unique insight into what propels people forward or holds them back from the writer’s life.

Over the next five days, I’ll be sharing tips from Dr. Annechild so you, too, can understand how to use meditation to improve your focus and skyrocket your earnings as a writer.

For today, I want you to take the simplest step in all of meditation: Just be silent. Set your timer for 10 minutes and spend that time in silence. Close your eyes, put your hands in your lap, and simply breathe. Tune in to the silence.

Why do this? Simple: Practicing silence is a proven way to calm your mind. It keeps stress at bay. Now, stress is perfectly normal when you launch any kind of new endeavor, like a career as a writer.

But left unchecked, stress may lead to panic. You cannot think clearly if you’re panicking.

And, if you can’t think clearly, you certainly can’t write clearly.

So, practice silence for a few minutes today. Find a peaceful spot. Then quiet your worries, clear your head, and free up your mind to write.

If this is difficult for you to do, don’t worry. It’s hard for a lot of us. Tomorrow, I’ll tell you more about how to go about it. And, even better, I’ll share a way to move from a “cluttered mind” to a “creative mind.”

And, if you have tried meditating before, what was your experience with it? Please share below.

Meditations for Writers

Accessing the Writer Within: A 21-Day Journey to Unlocking and Unleashing Your True Writing Potential

With these twice-daily meditations for writers, you’ll immediately start to enjoy better creativity, greater productivity, bigger success, and more happiness. Learn More »

Published: July 7, 2014

13 Responses to “How to Be a Wiser (and Richer) Writer”

1. I've read and studied a shelf full of books about mindfulness since the late '90s.

Practicing it? That's a different matter.

This sounds like what I've been looking for.

(A recommendation from a book to do this or that is easy put off etc., etc.)

Dale Sims--freelance copywriter--web content consJuly 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm

2. Several years ago I thought I'd learn to meditate. I found a book called "8 Minute Meditation" by Victor Davich. Thus began the love affair and quest for a quiet mind.

A mindfulness class at the University of Miami, books, hundreds of hours of early morning practice; I now know what he meant when he said, "The peace that passeth all understanding".

It truly is a gift to greet the morning with a perfectly quiet mind. Anyone can learn meditation and I promise you'll see the benefits right away.

David TomenJuly 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm

3. Meditating works wonders for me.

Guest (Rita Dunham)July 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm

4. Not everyone will write about or lead in this way. But, I think life changes for the better when we realize we can do this.

I grew up around 4 seasons where it was safe outdoors. And always found it peaceful when young to walk or sit quietly in natural surroundings.

Less aware of myself as life grew more demanding I then realized as an adult how distracting society can be.

It's great to have a calm inner mind and an outward focus and to raise awareness of techniques to bring it about.

Guest (Jenviet)July 7, 2014 at 5:46 pm

5. I tried meditation & did a Buddhist thing in my 20's: reading, communing w/ Buddha, basic meditation, studying + applying a Buddhist mindset, pacifism, using objective mind w/o ostensible preconceptions, filters. I accessed the subconscious (of dubious value). I'm active & athletic so find meditation doesn't suit me. In a lifestyles group, when she said "it's time to meditate", my stress went off the chart. I left to go walk. Many meditating were overweight, perhaps needing more movement?

Guest (Muditation Lives)July 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm

6. I’ve been meditating almost every day since 2002. There have been periods of a few months when I set my practice aside and it gave me contrast. Thinking back, I see a marked distinction in the quality of my personal and business lives when I meditate consistently compared to when I don't. Meditation brings progressive results. And the deeper you go (which comes with consistency), the better your life gets. And when you reverently ask for things during mediation, when you connect deeply, you’ll be flabbergasted by the speed at which it comes to you in real time. It’s NEVER failed me, not once. OM…

Guest (Silvianne)July 7, 2014 at 8:02 pm

7. Hi Katie,

I've tried meditating a handful of times and sometimes I find myself having to remind myself to stop thinking. My thoughts will take over and I get so frustrated. However, I meditated over this past weekend and only once did I have to stop thinking and focus on my breathing. Afterwards, it was like coming out of a long sleep. I felt rested more relax and my mind felt clear.

Guest (Misha M)July 7, 2014 at 8:35 pm

8. Hi Katie, Meditation is a secret I have used time and time again in all walks of life.

I recommend dynamic meditation because you can not only calm your mind but also visualize outcomes.

Now how cool is that!

~R

Roy AJuly 8, 2014 at 10:31 am

9. I've been meditating for years, and found it extremely helpful, although active thinking creeps in, particularly when sitting becomes tiresome. I count on it when stressed, but that's when it's hardest to make a breakthrough into peace.

HelenscribeJuly 8, 2014 at 11:45 am

10. You're preaching to the choir, Roy! I couldn't agree more. Annette's technique, HMT, is by far the best I've ever tried. Will you be joining us for the 21-Day Challenge beginning on Monday?

Guest (Katie Yeakle)July 8, 2014 at 12:19 pm

11. I have been doing daily Buddhist meditation for about 15 years as well as studying and practicing mindfulness. It has made a significant difference in my life and particularly in the area of getting rid of negative thoughts and emotions.

I look forward to Annette's program.

RandyJuly 8, 2014 at 5:36 pm

12. I'm new to meditation. I've always heard the "why" of meditation, just never really knew the what or how. Recently I read that to focus better, I should close my eyes and concentrate nothing except my breathing. Actually "see" and feel my breath. Focus on a "point" where the air passed, going in and out. It was very difficult for me, sitting still, thinking of nothing else for 10 minutes. This makes me want to try again, but I'll need practice!

Les WorleyJuly 10, 2014 at 9:11 am

13. I want to start by saying how wonderful it is to be a part of this conversation about meditation. I'd like to emphasize that it is important not to be frustrated by thoughts that try to interrupt your meditation. Just let the thoughts come up, and let them go, try having no emotion or attachment to them. With consistent practice, it gets much easier. When you think about it, each of us should be able to sit still and breathe with our eyes closed for a few minutes. If you can't, you may need to address the anxiety that prevents it. Meditation is just the first step in our program. Combined with the next two steps, it becomes much more accessible to many people. Annette

Annette Annechild PhDJuly 10, 2014 at 1:39 pm