Time to Turn Your Words into Wealth!
So far, you’ve learned that writing emotionally charged headlines is key to a successful freelancing career.
And, you’ve learned the top two lessons on writing headlines from one of the world’s best at it – Clayton Makepeace.
Part of what’s made him a living legend in our industry (and made him tens of millions of dollars in income) is mastering this one skill.
Think about it: The better headline writer you become, the more readers your copy gets. The more readers your copy gets, the more money your client ultimately makes.
And the more money your client makes, the more money you make!
Now that you’ve learned how to do all the “prep” work for writing a powerful headline, it’s time to use what you’ve learned.
Here’s lesson #3 from Clayton on headline writing:
Your headline has only one job – make the “readership” sale.
It doesn’t matter if you’re writing long sales letters or short blog posts; this principle remains the same. Your headline is what convinces the reader to stop whatever he’s doing in the moment and read on.
So, how do you do that? (I thought you’d never ask!)
First, you need to know who your prospect is, and what his or her dominant emotions are. You found that out earlier this week.
Keeping that in mind, here are a five ways you can approach writing your headline that have been successful for Clayton.
These approaches still connect with your prospect’s dominant emotions and enter the conversation he’s already having inside his head.
- Hitch your wagon to a breaking news story. Is there something huge that’s happened in the news your prospect is talking about? Use it in your headline. Here’s one example aimed at prospects for a financial newsletter:
“1,384 Enrons Are Now Racing Towards Bankruptcy!
Here’s why more U.S. corporations will fail in the next 12 months than at any time since the Great Depression.”
- Let’s make a deal! This comes across as a big promise to your prospect. Usually in the form of … “If you give me X, I’ll give you Y.” Here’s one more example also going to prospects for a financial newsletter:
“Give me 36 months and I’ll make you ten times richer!
Read the enclosed intelligence report now to discover the stocks that could turn a $20,000 grubstake into $200,000 or even MORE!”
- Tell a riveting story. Here you want to make sure your story is filled with specifics, detail, and written in a way that keeps the reader wanting to know more. Here’s an example going to prospects interested in alternative health:
“How My ‘Incurable’ Liver Disease Led Me To The Most Powerful Health Treatments Available Today”
- Be an advocate for the reader. This means the person talking to the reader is his champion … his hero that will save him from whatever problem is currently on his mind. Here’s another example from the alternative-health world:
“What do you dread most about GETTING OLDER?
Weakness? Senility? Retirement homes?
Let PBS TV’s award-winning Dr. Gary Null share his greatest medical breakthrough of all …”
- Offer sweet revenge. The title says it all. Often, your prospect will feel he’s been cheated, swindled, or wronged by someone or something. Tap into the anger and show him how he can get even by getting ahead. Here’s an example for a prospect who’s tired of losing money in the stock market and is losing faith in his broker:
“Did Your Broker Break You?
Don't Get Mad, Get EVEN!”
You’re only limited by your creativity in how you can tap into your prospect’s dominant emotions in your headline. There are many ways that work, and have worked, very successfully.
But, to give yourself the best chance of success, there are six things your headline should accomplish. That’s why I’ve hand-picked one more article from Clayton that gives you what these six points are, along with a great example one of his clients mailed.
Click here to read it now, and let me know what you think in the comments!
And be sure to look out for tomorrow’s email … we’ll cover the three most powerful headline techniques Clayton uses.
Clayton Makepeace's Quick-Start Copywriting System
Copywriting legend Clayton Makepeace gives YOU the tools you need to upgrade your copywriting skills. These are the insights he uses to bank royalty checks of six-figures up to $1.4 million per month! Learn More »