Finding Beacons to Light Your Success Journey

Over the past two days, we’ve looked at two very important necessities for your personal success journey.

The first necessity is a road map —well-planned goals, objectives, and action steps—to guide you to the success you deserve.

The second necessity is banishing the very idea of failure from your life.

Something’s missing, though.

Much of the time with good goals and objectives, the journey will be smooth and well-lit. But there will be times when it feels like you’re traveling in the dark.

That’s when you need a beacon to guide you.

Where do you find a guiding beacon? Here’s something I got from a website about succeeding at sports to give you an idea …

Most sports require individuals to work hard to generate the potential to compete on a world stage. This can only be done efficiently with help. For your long-term prosperity, aim to develop and nurture relationships with coaches, training partners, team mates, family and friends. The regular contacts you have with these people will determine what sort of athlete you can become.

Substitute “writing” and “writer” for “sports” and “athlete” and you have your beacon. They are people who care about you and your success. You have to actively seek these people who can help you over the inevitable rough spots.

I’m very fortunate in having my wife Linda as my own beacon (and cheerleader). She’s been a constant source of encouragement from the time I decided to change my career from teaching 20 years ago. Maybe someone in your family can be your beacon.

But family can’t always give the support you need. And frequently, even when they’re able to give that support, they lack objectivity. That’s one reason I find Circle of Success so valuable for its members.

A family of a different kind

COS members provide each other with feedback and support. I’ve seen it every time at Bootcamp and other AWAI events. COS members who’ve never met in person embrace each other literally and figuratively. It amazes me how much they care about each other. And how much support they give.

But you don’t have to be in COS to get the support you need. AWAI member forums are great places to find it. But to get that support and encouragement, you have to view the forum as a community and actively join that community. No lurking on the outside.

You can also find support outside of AWAI. Find one person in your circle of friends you trust. Talk to them about the change you’ve made in your career … or the change you’re about to make.

Ask them to be your beacon. To help you through the inevitable dark patches. Tell them you’re not looking for advice so much as kind words or cheerleading from the sidelines.

And to make this relationship work, make it mutual.

These support beacons aren’t always easy to find. But it’s worth your effort to look … and look carefully … for that special someone who will keep you moving on the road to success.

Well, what did you think about today’s note? Tell us in the comments section … or ask a question … or share other thoughts you have about success. We’d love to hear them.

Tomorrow: At last … the one person who can guarantee your success.

Published: October 30, 2014

18 Responses to “Finding Beacons to Light Your Success Journey”

1. I enjoy your articles, thank you. Question: How do I "get started" with my choices of niches. It appears the focus is on 6 figures and COS copywriting. I am learning a lot, but do not find the individual steps to pursue the avenue I feel most passionate about. Would appreciate some suggestions/help. My sincere thanks for all the support and education Carol Lee

Carol LeeOctober 30, 2014 at 12:53 pm

2. Thanks for all the advice, but this is not the time for me to take advantage of it. I thought it would be, but now I'm involved with some other commitments I'm enjoying. Perhaps some time in the future I'll be free to pursue the goodies you have to offer. I appreciate the fact that you've continued to stay in contact with me.

Guest (Marilyn Wright)October 30, 2014 at 2:10 pm

3. It is a wonderful benefit that you are offering and I have no doubt it is an incredible program. The people I have met so far have been kind and helpful and the accelerated writers program is awesome. Honestly, if I had the funds to join I would jump on that chance in a heartbeat. Maybe next year for me.

James SOctober 30, 2014 at 4:24 pm

4. Hi Will - sorry to be so incog-negro lately ... and how WONDERFUL it is to "see" you here in this forum! Just checking in and waiting on the next post, now that I landed in your newest hangout spot. (I'm so glad I still subscribe to this post.)

Peace and blessings!

no-more-excuses-DebOctober 30, 2014 at 5:15 pm

5. I liked this one because I often do lurk on the outside but only cuz I'm not confident. I don't want to be kicked out the chatrooms, lol! And I'm not going to ask someone to be my beacon, nooo..

Guest (nick)October 30, 2014 at 9:16 pm

6. I totally agree with your stressing the importance of list-making. The most successful people in any field are inveterate list-makers. I experience a psychological boost every time I cross an item off my daily list, bringing me another step closer to my goal. I break complex goals into do-able steps to avoid being overwhelmed. What I don't get done today goes at the top of tomorrow's list, so nothing falls through the cracks.

Guest (Diane)October 30, 2014 at 9:33 pm

7. Hi Will, Thank you for this value full comment. It reminds many of us derailing from the main or set objectives, that we are denying ourselves the success we suppose to grab.
    We are so lucky to be at AWAI, a site where GURUS are begging laymen to follow them or pick them as their mentors.
    From the start, or at the early stage, we must try all means and be avoiding giving up on any project considered worth doing, and such project should be properly done.

Guest (Salihu Dikko)October 31, 2014 at 9:48 am

8. Will, Just starting out with my Accelerated Copywriters program and looking forward to learning all that I can in order to achieve the goal of becoming a sought after writer.
    Thanks for your inspiring article. I want to inspire other disabled cancer victims to do as many of the things in their lives as they want!

Guest (Mike)October 31, 2014 at 10:34 am

9. I am very alone and don't have a "Beacon" or support system in place but, will be working on this in the near future. I think trying the forums may be a very good place for me to start. I'll inform you at a later date how that goes.
    In the mean time I'd just like to thank you for sharing and the good advise.
    Thanks!