How a Little Luck Made One Freelancer Unstoppable

Nick Usborne

As freelancers we’re all hoping for a lucky break.

Goodness knows, other copywriters seem to get lucky breaks.

And, during occasional bleak moments, we may feel a little sorry for ourselves and wonder why other people seem to get all the luck, when we don’t.

Hi, my name is Nick Usborne, and this is the first of five articles I’m going to be sharing with you this week.

Like you, I’m a freelancer. Over the past 35 years I’ve had my share of good luck. I’ve also had some bad luck.

But, it was those lucky breaks that really moved my career forward. Every big leap ahead has been the result of a moment of good luck. (The bad luck just set me back temporarily.)

Can you really rely on good luck as the foundation of your success?

Yes, you can. But ONLY if you mix it in with being well-prepared, being confident in how you market yourself, and taking positive action.

To give you an idea of what I mean by all that, let me share a story with you.

Last September I was at the AWAI Bootcamp in Delray Beach. It was on day three, I think, that I was walking from the conference rooms back toward the elevator to go to my room.

As I passed through the lobby area, Shelley Jacobson, one of the attendees, raised her hand and asked if she could ask me a question. I sat down with her and her friend, and we spoke for maybe 20 minutes.

Her story was familiar. She didn’t feel at all confident about selling her services as a freelancer. And she didn’t know how to get out of her “funk.”

To cut a long story short, I heard from Shelley about three months later. She had just landed a $30,000 contract to create content for a company’s website. Not a bad project!

Let’s look at this short conversation in terms of luck.

She was lucky I happened to be walking by at that moment.

She was lucky I wasn’t on the way to another appointment.

She was lucky that I had many years’ experience as a coach for freelancers. I don’t think she even knew that.

And, she was lucky that some of the things I said to her resonated in a way that made powerful and immediate sense to her. Not every coaching session leads to fast, positive results.

Yep, she was lucky.

But … for her part …

She invested in the trip to Bootcamp. She raised her hand when I walked by. She listened to what I said. She took it to heart. And, she found the self-confidence to take the next step forward.

Yes, she was lucky in many ways. But none of that luck would have meant a thing if she hadn’t prepared herself and then made the commitment to take action.

By coming to Bootcamp, Shelley has put herself in a position to find her lucky break. If she hadn’t come, nothing would have changed for her.

Luck is like a firefly on a summer evening. It’s there for a moment, and then it’s gone.

Your job is to be in the right place at the right time, and be ready to grasp that firefly the moment it appears. You have to be ready.

Over the next four days I’ll be telling you how to do just that. How to get in front of luck when it appears. And how to leverage it like crazy.

In tomorrow’s article we’ll focus on preparation. On how to get lucky as often as possible. Don’t miss it!

Marketing Confidence

Marketing Confidence: Learn to Love Marketing Your Business

Learn to love marketing your business, and start landing the clients you need to reach your financial goals. Learn More »

Published: February 2, 2015

25 Responses to “How a Little Luck Made One Freelancer Unstoppable”

1. Here's a "luck story."

Last April I created a clever promotion about myself that I modeled after the Dos Equis beer commercial. But instead of calling myself the "Most Interesting Man in the World," I said I was "The Most Interesting Man in Marketing. I sent it to 10 Agora companies. Four months later I got a $10K gig and am now on retainer.

I was prepared when they responded by showing my portfolio and explaining why a few of my promotions did well.

Not bad, huh?

Cheers,

Doug Fogel

Guest (Doug Fogel)February 2, 2015 at 12:22 pm

2. This idea resonates with me. I have found it to be true in all aspects of my life, and sometimes seemed determined to forget or doubt it. If I provide receptivity and action, the universe seems to provide the luck. Over and over. I think it's a rule! Thanks for the reminder.

ColetteFebruary 2, 2015 at 12:47 pm

3. I'm a beliver in luck! I'm also a believer in creating luck. If I have my way, I'll re-create the saying 'genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration' to read: genius is 50% perspiration, 1% inspiration and 49% luck!

Guest (khalifonia)February 2, 2015 at 1:21 pm

4. Hi Nick

I too am in a funk...

I have been through the AWAI online course and completed all but the very last exercise. I had hoped by the time I got through all the exercises I would find the "light"...I didn't.

I am currently going through the Accelerated Live Companion Series with the hope that meeting live with others will provide the PUSH I need.

I am doing all the "right" things and even have a piece of paper that says --"I am a copywriter" -- above my desk...but something is still lacking.

Can you help?

"Funky" Renee

Guest (Renee)February 2, 2015 at 1:44 pm

5. Nick, If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I need a lot of prayer in my life to over come my mountains of disasters, please pray for me. It may not bring me good luck but, might keep and hold the the bad luck at bay as my situation is the worst it's ever been. I know there are people in this world worse off than myself but I really need to find me a J.O.B. I only have $5cnd dollars to my name, bad credit and debt. I can not find an out to my situation. Please send LUCK! Thank-You

Guest (The Missy)February 2, 2015 at 1:45 pm

6. Hi Nick, Thank you for reminding me of this concept! I'm a big believer of "creating your own luck." To me, it can come down to those who dwell on negative thoughts/reactions/possible outcomes and those who are positive. I'm sure that negative people actually do not DO those actions that set up opportunity. Thanks again!

Guest (Tina)February 2, 2015 at 2:11 pm

7. At root level, my primary enemy is always FEAR.

Shelley was in the right place at the right time because she had enough faith to keep pursuing her dream. Faith, when exercised, counteracts fear.

Like the old monk said, "The way to reach the mountain is to keep walking in that direction."

I look forward to your lessons, Mark, on how to hasten that journey.

Guest (Don Sturgill)February 2, 2015 at 2:16 pm

8. Hi Nick! I'm so intrigued by your material and am looking forward to the course. However, although I have strong business correspondence skills, I am brand new to freelancing. I haven't got a platform/portfolio, and I really don't know my target audience or who the 'big players' are. Will this course get me started in freelancing or would it be putting the cart before the horse to sign up now? Thanks so much in advance for your response. ~Meeri

mnauhaFebruary 2, 2015 at 3:48 pm

9. I am truly impressed with everything my successors praise about themselves, their writing and hope someday to deliver the same message to writers seeking this glory and confidence.

"KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK," of changing lives near and far...and all over the globe.

Guest (Richard Bailey Georgia)February 3, 2015 at 12:23 am

10. Talking about the $150 AWAI course that starts this Friday 2/6?

Guest (mnauha)February 3, 2015 at 1:28 pm

11. Would you be so kind as to provide a link? Much thanks!

Guest (mnauha)February 3, 2015 at 5:31 pm

12. Ahh, thank you! If I could take just one course, would this be it? ~Meeri

mnauhaFebruary 4, 2015 at 12:10 pm

13. Oh, I appreciate that suggestion Nick. Which course would you recommend first? ~Meeri

Guest (mnauha)February 4, 2015 at 5:43 pm

14. I'm brand new to all this and feeling very optimistic. I believe there is power in that... and in seizing every opportunity as it comes to you, as you say. My challenge right now is to prepare myself FOR the opportunities that exist in the copyrighting market and I'm all in! Counting on you to show me the way, my friend!

Guest (mnauha)February 4, 2015 at 5:47 pm

15. Hello Nick, I've got a question regarding chapter one of your Web Writing 2.0 course and was curious as to the best way to reach you?
    I'm in the process of trying to create some luck of my own (with a diving resort manager met in the bar I work).
    When I mentioned helping him with his web page a business card mysteriously appeared.
    My question involves Google Analytics.

JimmyBFebruary 4, 2015 at 6:32 pm