Help Clients Find You With a Searchable LinkedIn Header

It’s been almost four decades now. But I still remember the day I first spied the beautiful Miss Mary Ruth Dorsey. I knew I’d found my soulmate.

I also knew there were two things I had to do.

First, I had to get her attention. And then I had to convince her that I was the right guy for her.

Mary and Steve, circa 1980

Must have done something right … she did marry me. And we’re still together after 37 years.

Steve Maurer here again for The Writer’s Life. Yesterday, I explained the ultimate power of LinkedIn – it’s a network that’s 100% business.

That makes it the perfect place to promote your copywriting services.

Today, I want to coach you in building a profile header that gets your prospects’ attention. In many ways, it’s like courtship. You get them to notice you, and then you convince them you’re the one they’re looking for.

Step 1: Fill out the name fields. Put your first name in the first name field and your last name in the last name field. Don’t put the name of your business. But, if you have a degree such as M.D., you can include it.

Step 2: Create a professional headline. The headline field is limited to 120 characters, spaces included. Give this section some serious thought. Your entry in the headline field is very important. Think about what your prospect needs and use the words that fit those needs.

For example, my professional headline is “Industrial B2B Copywriter: web copy specialist, ad copy, content marketing, case studies, press releases, landing pages.” That’s what my prospects are looking for.

Notice I said “professional” headline. I can’t stress this enough. This is no place to be cute or clever.

For example, I see the term “wordsmith” used a lot. But, I have never had a prospect contact me and say they’re looking for a wordsmith. They were looking for a copywriter, a business writer or a web writer.

I have also seen terms like “chief excitement officer,” “head of customer happiness,” and the like. Unless it’s a real position, don’t use them. Keep your headline professional.

The rest of the header text is simple. In fact, most of it will be prepopulated from your registration. You can tweak them if you like.

Step 3: Be sure to enter your contact information. One quick tip on adding your website to your contact info section … don’t use the field that says “Company Website.” All the reader will see is “Company Website,” that will link to your site.

Instead, enter your website info in the “Other” field. This gives an extra field where you can enter the website name or other keywords. You can also type in something like “My Copywriting Site.”

This will help you get found more easily in the LinkedIn search engine.

Step 4: Include a photo. The last part of your header is the profile photo. Your photo is often the first thing that draws your viewer’s interest.

Many experts say you should have a professional photo. That’s good advice. But, you can also create the photo yourself.

Use a tablet or digital camera to create a quality shot. Don’t use your web camera, because the quality is usually too poor.

If you take your own shot, make sure every element in the photo represents your business persona. Casual business shots are fine, as long as they’re tasteful.

One more tip … don’t use a logo or caricature in place of an actual photo. You want people to see you, not a representation of you.

So, today, start filling out the header on your new LinkedIn profile, or make any necessary adjustments if you already have one. Think about the words your prospects are using in search and use them. Find a good photo and use it in your header. It can make a big difference.

As always, let me know if you have any questions or comments.

I’ll see you tomorrow, when we’ll talk about one of the most important pieces of sales copy you’ll ever write.

Published: May 19, 2015

14 Responses to “Help Clients Find You With a Searchable LinkedIn Header”

1. Hi Steve, I just "started" a profile on LinkedIn as you suggested. I've never been to the site before and have two questions (for now!) Should I be concerned about syncing with my email? I'm just not real comfortable with "sharing" personal info. Also, I am currently only beginning part 3 of the Accelerated program, so I don't think I should have a "copywriter" headline at this point. Is it unprofessional to call myself an "aspiring copywriter" or better to wait and add my current position now?

Diane SmithMay 19, 2015 at 1:11 pm

2. Steve,

How would you use LinkedIn for copy writing part-time? My current profile is directed toward my work in software and IT management (which is a full-time gig).

Thanks, Allen

Allen CrookstonMay 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

3. I think linked in is a great idea. But what if I already have a linked in account? I have been in the same industry 30 years and do copy writing all the time, but not for hire. I want to change this. Can I set up a second linked in account?

CelticGirlMay 19, 2015 at 3:55 pm

4. Thank you for the helpful tip on using Other to add a website!

CelesteMay 19, 2015 at 9:19 pm

5. Thanks for the insightful tips, Steve

ZafifiMay 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm

6. Steve, thanks for your great email newsletters regarding setting up Linkedin. I have questions similar to some of those above. Though I do copywriting and manage social media, I also have another company that engages with international clients in the field of education. Do I set up a different account (which I think might end up being confusing) or just modify my existing by adding a new position? I've started adjusting my profile toward the latter. But, any ideas you have would be much appreciated.
    linkedin dot com/in/tdwolsey

Guest (TDWolsey)May 21, 2015 at 1:51 pm

7. Thanks Steve, I didn't have all of the Contact Info filled in!!! Great tip about using "Other" instead of website. ;) MG

Guest (Marie Gray)May 22, 2015 at 11:53 am

8. Hi Steve, very good instructions on getting us started on LinkedIn - thank you! I am also "an aspiring..." and feel misleading if I don't include that. I have absolutely no profession experience whatsoever... but I am looking for it! What are your suggestions for folks like me?

Guest (Pam)May 22, 2015 at 1:14 pm

9. I am interested in creating a profile with LinkedIn. I know it free to sign up. Is there any charge to use the site after that. I have signed up to sites before that said sign up for free, but then you were charged to actually use the site. Is linkedIn free to use as well? Please get back to me at amy_slaney at hotmail dot com.

Guest (Amy)May 23, 2015 at 2:38 pm

10. Hello Steve I made some changes to my profile on liketin; I dont know if its right or profesional enough becuz Im just started this prograham;and I know I need a professional photo working on it. Hope to here something real soon.

OrlaunderJune 6, 2015 at 5:01 pm

11. Hi, Steve. I DO have a linkedin account - but it's been associated with my work as an independent Reflexologist (alternative health technique). That's not going to help me with my copywriting - at least not directly. Can I have two Linkedin accounts, or change the one I have? What's best for getting a copywriting business going?

DavidCookwriterAugust 9, 2015 at 10:58 pm

12. Where are the answers to the Comments above?

Guest (Edgar)August 22, 2015 at 3:43 pm

13. Thanks am very greatful

Guest (Anuoluwapo )November 20, 2016 at 3:35 pm

14. I do not like to commit myself to anything where price tags are not stated. It is a bad start-off not knowing what you are getting involved with, what is included to reach a goal and what the cost is. On-line businesses have a questionable name and all of this bothers me greatly.

Guest (Ruth Baynard)January 8, 2017 at 1:57 pm