Get Paying Clients with a Free LinkedIn Profile

Steve Maurer here for The Writer’s Life. This week I’m your coach in building a powerful, self-marketing assistant. An assistant that’s always working for you … your LinkedIn profile.

Steve Maurer

A well-designed LinkedIn profile is a client magnet. Prospects around the world have contacted me because of my profile alone. Many have turned into paying clients.

I want to see that happen for you.

This week, I’m going to show you exactly what I’ve done to attract clients. And by Friday, you too will have a LinkedIn profile that not only gets you found by prospects, but contacted by them as well.

Let’s start by talking about why LinkedIn is such a powerful self-marketing tool.

Of all the numerous social media networks, LinkedIn is one designed strictly for business. Created in 2003, this network was born to connect professionals worldwide.

Twelve years after inception, it now has over 347 million members, from freelancers to Fortune 500 executives. And, it’s growing at a rate of two new members per second, according to Craig Smith, editor of the DMR website.

A huge number of them are desperately searching for expert copywriters and other professionals. According to a recent survey, 88 percent of Fortune 500 companies use LinkedIn as their primary recruiting tool.

LinkedIn expert Ted Prodromou says LinkedIn makes it easier to find targeted prospects for your business. Part of the power of this network is its “souped-up” search capability.

LinkedIn’s search engine is so powerful, even Google indexes LinkedIn profiles for its own search results.

But ultimately, LinkedIn’s real power comes from its single-minded focus on business. Most other social media networks are merely hybrids.

Take Facebook, for example. I have a Facebook business page. However, my list of contacts, both business and personal, is visible, scrolling up and down … popping in and out.

And that little “ding” when a new message or notification arrives is, well, irresistible. I can’t help but check out what the latest news is, no matter how hard I try. Once I’ve checked that first red flag, it’s hard to stop. Before long, I’ve wasted way too much time “socializing.”

Not so with LinkedIn.

Any messages I get on LinkedIn are from fellow writers, clients or prospects. My incoming notifications either come from business groups where I’m a member or are updates from companies I follow.

On LinkedIn, those messages and notifications become a goldmine of opportunity.

That’s why, all this week I’m going to coach you on filling out the basic, most important parts of your profile. You don’t need a fancy, award-winning profile. You just need an effective one.

I’ll also show you how to use your LinkedIn profile to reel in prospects and paying clients.

So, today, if you don’t already have a LinkedIn profile, go to www.linkedin.com and sign up for a free account. It only takes about two minutes to register. Then you can start filling it out as we go.

If you do already have a LinkedIn profile, log in and look it over. Get familiar with the profile sections, so you’re ready to kick it up a notch. If you haven’t been there in a while, you’ll be surprised at the improvements.

If you have any questions or comments, let me know here. I want you to feel at ease using LinkedIn for getting more paying clients.

Tomorrow we’ll start with the header portion of your profile. It’s what prospects see first, so you need to make a good impression.

Published: May 18, 2015

13 Responses to “Get Paying Clients with a Free LinkedIn Profile”

1. Hey there, Steve;

Fantastic topic this week! LinkedIn is a wonderful channel for client acquisition, and I'm very glad you're taking the time to share your experience and expertise with us!

Thanks!
    Dan

Dan DavisMay 18, 2015 at 3:49 pm

2. Good Monday afternoon, Steve

First noticed you on the B2B program with Steve.

Very happy to find you will be guiding me (and lots of others) to make a professional LinkedIn presence. I'm 95% finished creating my professional website. Currently my LinkedIn profile seems stuck at 50%.... with your assistance I should be able to move that percentage up several notches.

~joseph

Joseph LaceyMay 18, 2015 at 3:56 pm

3. Thank you very much Steve. Talk about serendipity and perfect timing. LinkedIn is on my agenda for this week. I have a LinkedIn profile but haven't done much on it. I'm as clueless as a pirate with two eye patches when it comes to optimizing my profile there. To give you an idea - I found it easier to set up my website and hosting than work on that profile. Looking forward to your wisdom this week. Thanks again.

Mike SMay 18, 2015 at 7:48 pm

4. Hi Steve,

I am very interested to hear what you have to say on this subject. I used LinkedIn everyday for my current job, and would like to keep using it as my main platform for attracting clients as I gradually move into copy writing. I look forward to it!

Kate EMay 19, 2015 at 3:39 am

5. I am not a guest, but having trouble signing in to AWAI. Will attend your session today and here is my comment/question:

Purpose: Expansion for New Clients. My Niche in the PR Industry is unique. I am a Certified Astrologer/Coach helping business to promote their business/product/s. Excellent skills in and for Research & Communications. How to Increase Clients interested in PR with Astrology?

Looking forward to meeting you.

Rhoda Gelman Universal Public Relations & Communications Astrologic Business Solutions

Guest (Rhoda Gelman)May 19, 2015 at 12:42 pm

6. Hi Steve....It's Chris....I was talking to you previously about my LinkedIn profile....I have been a pharmacist for 20 years, and have moved into copywriting in the pharmaceutical, health and wellness niche.....I was inquiring as to what kind of "magnets" I could add to my profile to attract clients from the "copywriting" field, since currently the hits seem to draw more to the pharmaceutical side.....Thanks!

Chris OstroskiMay 19, 2015 at 1:41 pm

7. Hi steve, Thanks for giving such a informative knowledge. It will give a boost to the new copywriters, like me. I have already a LinkedIn profile but not so attractive. Now I am going to modify it for the business of a copywriter. Again thanks for providing such a valuable piece. This is the biggest platform for business people who mean business.

Thanks and regards

Mahesh

Mahesh SeelviMay 24, 2015 at 3:34 am

8. Hi Steve, I really enjoyed your topic this past week. I've made notes so I can tweak my profile now and again. Re your advice re the Recommendation section, unfortunately new copywriters such as myself don't yet have clients to get recommendations from. I can't wait for the day when I'm in the position to add at least one recommendation on my profile!
    Thanks for the useful articles Steve.

Lee NourseMay 24, 2015 at 6:37 pm

9. You cite "Craig Smith, editor of the DMR website" in "Get Paying Clients with a Free LinkedIn Profile." I have not been able to find the DMR website or identify a "Craig Smith" who would seem to be an authority Linked In's growth. Where should I be looking? Thank you.

Guest (Anton Sgarro)June 23, 2015 at 4:52 pm

10. Hello Steve I find it interesting that LinkedIn has become a potential hotspot for clients. I've been a member of LinkedIn for a couple of years and I've been fortunate to have connected with some excellent people. My Summary alone, has been responsible for a few of my 814 Connections.
    I am looking forward to learning some techniques from You, on how to use my LinkedIn account to gain clientele in my new life as an up and coming Copy Writer. I'm just a Beginner in this exciting industry of copy writing.
    Thank You in advance for Your Tips and Tricks on leveraging a media that's already a big part of my life.

WhitewaterAugust 9, 2015 at 2:26 am

11. Hi Steve,

Thank you for tackling this interesting topic. I have had a LinkedIn profile before.

Today, I viewed it and made some changes. It was exciting.

However, how do I feature the training I have obtained from AWAI online.

1. I did Pro-resume writer program and still struggling to finish the Accelerated copywriter program, and a member of B2B writing success.

2. I have 20+years accounting proficiency. I want to change to b2b copywriter. How do I position myself?

Thanks

Christine

Christine MulemeSeptember 9, 2015 at 5:59 am

12. Hi Steve great tip on improving your profile. I already did a little tweaking on my Header and Summary section about 3 months ago & I still don't have One potential client. Changes I made were based on a self acclaimed linkedin expert but his tips aren't working for me.

If you have a few seconds, I'd appreciate your professional advice since you're well
    -known copywriter, maybe you can spot any wording that may be turning away potential clients.

Guest (Maya)September 3, 2017 at 7:54 pm

13. Hi Steve new to the copywriting, I'm looking forward to this writing experience and with your help, I am ready to get clients and get Paid and start my copywriting Journey..

Wolvered XMay 29, 2019 at 6:16 pm