Four Strategies for Becoming a Six-Figure, A-Level Writer

It’s great to see you back here!

Over the past three days, I’ve really enjoyed sharing with you three of the exclusive blog posts I write for Circle of Success members.

So far, you’ve discovered a core secret for giving your persuasive writing far more impact … the secret of the Golden Thread … and crucial secrets for combatting writer’s block.

Today I’m going to shift gears a bit.

Over six years ago, Circle of Success member Sean McCool asked me to write about the “mindset of an A-level copywriter.”

I realize many of The Writer’s Life readers aren’t copywriters. Maybe you’re a web writer, resume writer, info-publisher, or just considering any type of writing for your breakthrough career. (That’s where I was when I first decided to switch careers and “become a writer.”)

But the answer I gave COS members covers all types of writing. So I know it’ll help you become an A-level writer … a highly paid, much-sought-after writer in your field.

Your long-term goal will not get you there

Writing success does not come from wanting to become an A-level writer. That’s an artificial goal.

Wanting to become a six-figure writer is also an artificial goal.

Success at a writing career – at any career, for that matter – doesn’t come from focusing your efforts on a long-term goal like becoming a six-figure writer.

Now, don’t get me wrong. The long-term goal is crucial. It guides you and keeps you working day to day.

The truth is … to become an A-level writer, write A-level copy.

So, here are my four strategies for becoming a six-figure, A-level writer …

1. No job is too small to get your best work.

When you’re starting out – or even later in your career – you might work for small clients who can’t pay you what you feel you’re worth. Avoid the temptation to “dash something off.”

Give these clients your absolute best work. You’re building your portfolio. You’re building your reputation.

But more important, you’re establishing your own mindset that everything you write is important. It’s your work. It’s your source of pride … and success.

2. All strong writing begins with research.

You may feel you know the topic better than anyone else. And, maybe you do. But A-level writing begins with finding things about your subject – and your reader – other copywriters have missed.

Never shortchange your research.

3. Give yourself time to revise.

“Great literature is not written. It’s rewritten.” When you’re negotiating money with a client, negotiate time as well. Build in a day to a week extra for time to revise.

If your client is really pressed for time, then build this review time into your own, internal work schedule.

4. Never accept “good enough.”

If you’ve been writing on a piece for awhile and get to that point where you’re ready to settle for less than your best, put your writing away. Take a break. Give yourself and your writing a rest.

“Good enough” never results in A-level copy. And it never leads to becoming an A-level writing success.

Adopt these four strategies and you will become an A-level, highly successful writer. I can almost guarantee it. Not overnight. But surely. Steadily.

There’s just one make-or-break strategy you must adopt. And we’ll look at that tomorrow.

(I’m pleased to say Sean became an A-level writer himself … and fairly quickly, at that!)

I’d love to hear from you. Let me know if you’re learning something from these articles. Leave your comments in the appropriate place below. And, thank you so much for taking the time.

Published: May 7, 2015

9 Responses to “Four Strategies for Becoming a Six-Figure, A-Level Writer”

1. Excellent post Will. It is very helpful how you broke this concept down...you made this easy to digest! Thank you.

Guest (Melanie Fischer)May 7, 2015 at 1:54 pm

2. Oh man - this has to be my favorite post of this series because it applies to all kinds of writing (and professions!)

Guest (Kit)May 7, 2015 at 2:42 pm

3. Thank you Will, for this timely reminder. Every thing we write is important, no matter how insignificant it may seem to be at the time.

It is very easy to let your standards fall when you feel resentful, whether it is because of what you are being paid, size of company or any other real or imagined slight.

Thanks again, John.

JohnEMay 7, 2015 at 5:06 pm

4. hi Will, I have always believed in best effort! regardless of any number of negatives in play. it is pride well placed, I think! Oh, and re: this topic, I keep finding gems in the Am.Exp. letter..word choices....yet to be devised, financial instrument and many others were not just chosen, they were crafted to paint the picture. The opening...poss. Denying access to many who may apply....how strategic and brilliant. I LOVE that letter. descriptions under the bullet PTs. All wonderfully composed.

Guest (Jackie S of NH)May 7, 2015 at 8:17 pm

5. Each day I look forward to your email - the way you explain things in simple, clear sentences, well... it's A-level writing itself.

Unfortunately, I cannot join the Circle of Success until my A-level writing earns a place at that table.

I cannot thank you enough for sharing your experience.

Joan MMay 7, 2015 at 8:21 pm

6. Yes, Will! I am learning that when reading your lessons, they are in A-level copywriting form!
    I get the sense that you are speaking directly to me...only to me. And this makes me feel cared for and important! Imagine my surprise when I read your comment,"I am pleased to say Sean became a A-level writer himself..."I forgot for a moment you didn't personally know me- even though I am a female Sean.
    I am so used to receiving mail addressed,"Mr." Thank you, I only wish your supplemental lessons could continue!
    Much gratitude and best regards, Sean

SeanMay 8, 2015 at 7:13 pm

7. I know these four strategies and applying them as well, but I feel obliged to thank Will for this forceful reminder. I will apply these fundamental strategies with more confidence than before as you, Will Newman has endorsed them for all type of writing.

Guest (Nusrat)May 9, 2015 at 6:40 pm

8. Gday Will, from Western Australia, thank you for your easy to understand COS blogs or should I call them E letters? I am very new at trying to grasp freelance copywriting and I am working my way through the accelerated program.I enjoyed your article's on features and benefits thank you, and when my son finishes the seeding program(putting in his crop 8000 acres) I will have more time to spend on learning to write copy. I do of course really like to help the young ones with their farming, Kind Regards, David Egan.

Guest (Dave E)May 11, 2015 at 7:08 am