A Quick Route to Paid Writing Projects

Christina Gillick

Hi, I’m Christina Gillick – a full-time freelance writer.

But, I couldn’t always claim that title.

Not long ago, I was frozen in place. While I had studied copywriting and thought I understood it … well, I still felt I wasn’t ready to make the leap.

How could I contact potential clients with confidence when I couldn’t even say the words, “I am a writer”?

What I needed was real practice with real clients … but on a small, trial-type scale. I wanted to write short pieces (under 1,000 words) so I could “get my feet wet” while still working a full-time job.

But … beyond that … I wanted to get paid to practice my writing! At the time, I didn’t know if that was even possible, but I searched anyway.

After some research, I found that writing articles was a perfect fit! (Plus, there was a huge and growing industry desperate for these projects.)

This week, I’ll show you how to break into article writing and even get paid along the way. But, first, let’s make sure we’re on the same page …

Article writing – sometimes referred to as guest blogging or guest posting – is simply writing an article (or blog post) for a website other than your own.

This type of writing is sometimes referred to as “content writing.”

Content writing is similar to promotional copywriting and follows many of the same rules (such as writing like you speak and having a conversation with only one reader).

But, unlike promotional copy, content is typically shorter, more entertaining, and less “salesy.”

Plus, the demand for content writing – and content writers – continues to grow, because so many websites need content – like articles, blog posts, and e-newsletters – to educate and entertain their customers.

That’s where the content writer comes in. Your content – although simple, easy-to-read, and short (often under 1,000 words) – keeps potential buyers engaged with your client and increases their potential to buy.

Plus, you’ll gain samples, improve your writing, reach more potential clients, and even get paid to do so. In just a few weeks – if you’re serious and consistent – you could be earning $200 (or more) per blog post and have more requests than you can handle.

It might sound simple, but writing articles – using the plan I’ll give you this week – is how I started and grew my writing business from nothing to a full-time income.

The first step – and today’s action item – is to choose a BROAD topic for an article. You won’t be stuck with this choice for life, so keep it simple. Think about the things you enjoy and have some knowledge of. Examples might be making healthy smoothies, meditation, raising backyard chickens, or saving with coupons. Any topic will do, just be sure to keep it broad.

If you have any questions, go here to post in the comments.

Tomorrow, I’ll show you how to find your first paid project.

Published: July 20, 2015

30 Responses to “A Quick Route to Paid Writing Projects”

1. I don't argue the possible benefits of this program, but the cost of the seminar is INSANELY expensive! It makes me suspect.

Guest (Deb)July 20, 2015 at 1:43 pm

2. how do you obtain or even reach a potential client?

Guest (Sam Wm Goodrich)July 20, 2015 at 2:11 pm

3. I am unemployed and have no money but want to tell my stories.I cant afford your service.

Guest (Chuck)July 20, 2015 at 2:20 pm

4. Hey, just a THANK YOU. I think this is what I need. I want to look into so many of the lessons, but just can't afford to. My spare time is spent reading and practicing, if I pick up more work I don't have time for practice. So I would love to be able to do this.

Guest (Sarah F)July 20, 2015 at 2:51 pm

5. Hello Christina This certainly would be a nudge in the right direction.
    Can I ask if you think Gardening is a broad enough subject, because I have a wide knowledge on this subject.
    Just not sure its popular enough.
    John

Guest (John Chapman)July 20, 2015 at 3:06 pm

6. I was just thinking that I should practice writing articles to begin my portfolio. This is perfect timing. I want to write about managing your money.

Marie ShumwayJuly 20, 2015 at 3:33 pm

7. Lost is not so bad if one's at least making good time. And that it manifests in some least-resistive-path as effortlessly natural as sleep and luck. Sleep, that encapsulated cosmic colander of doze whence only eternity and dreams can duly be released. And luck, which only APPEARS lucky, insofar as it's actually an already spent flip-turn from destiny's recap now retroactively racing through us as mindfully inspired deja vus. Intermittently piqued, for spontaneity's charge. And THEN some.

Guest (Chris Morris)July 20, 2015 at 4:13 pm

8. When I sighed up for the free book " Copy writing 101" I was overwhelmed with all the e-mails that followed...only because it isn't a step by step process....like what course should I sign up for first to start my copy writing career?...is it the accelerated course?....than I received an e-mail about the 3 day seminar total is about $1,800....why would I sign up for that when I need to learn the basics in a course?...and one final question you say there are a lot of companies that need copy writer, why would they choose a newbie over a more seasoned writer?...Thank you

Guest (Sharon)July 20, 2015 at 4:29 pm

9. Starting small is very appealing to me. It works well with my available time and my current lack of experience. My passion since I was a child is horses. My dream would be to write for the equine industry in some form. Although I have owned horses, worked for trainers, and studied equine science in college (25 years ago), I do not consider myself in any way an expert or an authority in the field. I can't get passed the question, " who would want to read what I have to say". Where so I start?

Rena MJuly 20, 2015 at 4:37 pm

10. Your advice about BROAD topics to write about for articles is easier said than written about.

Guest (Audrey)July 20, 2015 at 4:41 pm

11. Thank you Christina, I have the same feelings which you had. I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow about obtaining clients to write for and profit. Take care and have an amazing evening!

Deanna-D- Kniola July 20, 2015 at 6:52 pm

12. Hi Christina, I am taking the Accelerated Copywriting course now and I recently wrote an article on my own about caregiving. Would this be considered a broad topic as you discussed in your article? Thank you.

Patricia CovoneJuly 20, 2015 at 7:32 pm

13. Christina!
    Thank you for this opportunity. I have been anxious to find a way to start my writing career, but without spending all the money that I don't have. I like AWAI but it seems that every time it takes money I simply can not afford to spend on what is being offered.
    I have many interests and enjoy doing a lot of reading across the internet. As to a topic for being broad, how about automotive repair?
    I enjoy this subject as I have a lot of practical experience in this area.

alvpackmanJuly 20, 2015 at 10:58 pm

14. This is very interesting, short and paying! I have been practicing catalog writing because quick and paying are what i need. Then I had planned to do email writing but this is easy as well. I will look forward to the rest of your writing this week. thanks

BaxterJuly 20, 2015 at 11:28 pm

15. Christina, THANK YOU!!! I think you just helped me find my niche!!!!

Guest (Carri Landry)July 21, 2015 at 7:38 am

16. I think my topic will be DIY Health.

Sandra KnightJuly 21, 2015 at 2:24 pm

17. Restoring how to reason from Biblical Principles in all areas of life.

Guest (Lupita Fontenot)July 21, 2015 at 8:52 pm

18. My concern is there doesn't seem to be enough price information prior to ordering something. If you're on a budget, and you might not be after taking this course, then it's good to know these things. Then you want $1800 for a 3 day seminar? It may be worth it in the end but for us beginners it's way too expensive!

Guest (Linda)July 22, 2015 at 1:39 pm

19. Hello Christina:

Thank you for your update and information. I am a passionate writer on several subjects and my niche is 'astrology.' I already have a public relations company, which provides new and innovative ideas for promoting business and product. I am interested in 'content writing.' Which content writing strategy in your opinion would benefit me the most. My goal is to express my passion and ideas for companies and or business owners, media, and increase my financials. Please advise.

Thank you Rhoda Gelman Seaside, Oregon

Guest (Rhoda Gelman)July 22, 2015 at 6:00 pm

20. Hi everyone!

Thank you for your comments and compliments!

There are several questions so I'll need more than the 500 character limit to answer them. :)

Here's the first batch:

Hi Sam Wm Goodrich - You might want to check out part 2 where I explain finding clients:

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 2:54 pm

21. Hi Chuck,

This article is part 1 in a series of 5 that tells you how to get started and make money as a writer. Plus, it’s free! :)

Here are the other parts:

2. http://www.awaionline.com/2015/07/how-to-search-and-find-paid-content-writing-jobs/

3. http://www.awaionline.com/2015/07/3-simple-ways-to-generate-more-paying-ideas/

4. http://www.awaionline.com/2015/07/simple-template-for-faster-content-writing/

5. http://www.awaionline.com/2015/07/wrapping-up-your-first-paid-content-project/

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 2:55 pm

22. Hi John,

I do think gardening is broad enough.

You may actually find it’s too broad because there are so many sites on the subject. For instance, you could probably find a paying gig in “tomato gardening,” or “vegetable gardening,” or “organic gardening” … and so on.

Hope this helps, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:01 pm

23. Hi Audrey -

The reason I suggest keeping it broad at this point is so you’re more likely to find paying gigs.

Later, you’ll want to choose a niche … but don’t worry about that for now. :)

Do you have any other questions about choosing a topic?

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:02 pm

24. Hi Sharon,

Starting with the accelerated course is ideal because it teaches you the basics of writing persuasively. It’s also a step-by-step course, which will help with info overload.

I didn’t catch the email about the seminar, but they’re usually offered to speed things up … for instance, the bootcamp is like the fast-paced, find-a-client-today version of the accelerated course. Whether you sign up or not depends on your goals and how quickly you want to achieve them.

(Continued...)

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:21 pm

25. Hi Sharon,

Here's my answer to your last question:

Many companies that hire new writers do so because they can’t find enough writers for the amount of content they need. (Their needs outweigh the supply of reliable writers - both new and experienced.)

Also, many experienced writers are booked for several months at a time. Often companies just can’t wait this long and will go with someone less experienced, but available.

Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm

26. Hi Rena M,

It sounds like you ARE an expert when it comes to horses! Maybe it doesn't seem so when compared to ... let's say college professors, but definitely an expert when compared to the general public.

Your clients will probably be companies selling products to average horse owners. You likely know HEAPS more than the average horse owner! :)

You might find this article on being an expert helpful:

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:37 pm

27. Hi Patricia,

Yes, I do consider caregiving to be a broad topic.

Did you try part 2 to see if you could find any paying gigs? Here’s the link just in case: http://www.awaionline.com/2015/07/how-to-search-and-find-paid-content-writing-jobs/

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:39 pm

28. Hi Rhoda,

Are you asking about content marketing for your PR company or your writing services? Either way I think the strategy would be similar … Here are a few links that should help:

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:54 pm

29. Hi alvpackman,

Automotive repair is a great broad topic! :)

Have you tried the steps in part 2 to see if you can find any paying writing gigs? Here’s the link:

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 3:55 pm

30. Hello Christina, I am very new to copywriting and content writing in general and just began looking into it. Additionally, I am not sure how to begin. After reading your article I gained a better picture of what content writing entails. I have several interests that I would like to write about in particular such as: poetry, art, and martial arts since these are life long hobbies of mine. My question is, would these topics in particular be too narrow or should I look up broader topics?

HannahJuly 28, 2015 at 1:14 am