How to Search (and Find) Paid Content Writing Jobs

Yesterday I revealed a simple – practically risk-free – way to launch a successful writing career. The secret is by writing content in the form of blog posts and articles.

Most often these projects are under 1,000 words, and there’s a need for every subject you can imagine.

Yesterday, you selected a broad topic you’d like to write about. Now you’ll do a few simple Google searches to find paid content writing opportunities.

First, go to Google.com.

Then, search for the words “write for us” combined with your broad topic from yesterday. Let’s say your topic is “chickens” … your search term will look like this:

“write for us” + chickens

Some searches will produce many paid writing opportunities, but others will be a bit like a treasure hunt. Try searching for other similar terms to reveal more opportunities.

For example, instead of “write for us,” you might try, “write for us and get paid” or “guest blog.”

Instead of “chickens,” you could be more specific, such as, “raising chickens” or “breeding chickens.” This part depends on the broad topic you chose yesterday.

But – keep in mind – this doesn’t have to be your topic forever. You could write one article on the subject and decide to try another topic. That’s just one more reason I love article writing – the variety!

Don’t be afraid to get creative with your search terms. You never know where a good opportunity could be hiding.

Next, look through the search results for a paid opportunity …

You might have to dig a little, but that’s part of being a successful content writer. Ignore any websites requesting unpaid writers. While these sites do exist, there are more than enough sites willing to pay for content.

As an example, I did a few quick searches to find paying gigs on the topic of gardening (one of my hobbies) …

The first several websites offered zero compensation, but about halfway down I found a paying gig … $300 to $600 for feature articles (1,500 to 2,500 words)! For shorter articles (600 to 1,000 words), they pay $150 to $200.

Once you find a site offering a paid opportunity, be sure to follow their submission guidelines. If they ask you to send a summary or outline for approval before submitting a full post, do so.

Also, make note of specifications like, “Do not send attachments.” Following these directions is your first chance to make a great impression.

Today’s action step is to search for and find 3 to 5 potential clients. Let us know how it goes in the comments here.

Then, join me tomorrow and I’ll explain how to come up with topic ideas that potential clients will love!

Published: July 21, 2015

18 Responses to “How to Search (and Find) Paid Content Writing Jobs”

1. This was a great suggestion! I had no idea that so many sites were looking for the kind of writing I want to do and will pay!

Fletcher ToddJuly 21, 2015 at 3:37 pm

2. Well, well. This is a gem. Thanks so much. I did a random check on 3 different ideas and all 3 netted possible results. Thank you so much!

Dawn EnglerJuly 21, 2015 at 4:07 pm

3. This is very simple but useful way to look for work. Thank you Christine

Guest (Hayley )July 21, 2015 at 4:17 pm

4. Wow! I can't believe all the results that came up for this. Absolutely amazing!

George SJuly 21, 2015 at 10:35 pm

5. Ok, so this was actually pretty hard. Essentially everything I found was unpaid. I was looking up personal development and self help.

George SJuly 21, 2015 at 11:54 pm

6. Wow!I found 3 different interesting topics to get paid for writing. I was excited! Thank you!

Guest (Georgette LeTourneau )July 22, 2015 at 9:42 am

7. Wow! I found 3 interesting topics to get paid for writing. I was excited. Than you Christina.

Georgette LeTourneau July 22, 2015 at 9:48 am

8. First, let me say, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" While everything at AWAI has been wonderful, your week of letters look like they are going to be priceless!
    While I have 2 or 3 possible topics I only Googled the one. Was I surprised! I stopped at 9 results to my topic.
    I can hardly wait for today's email!
    Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us "newbies"!

Guest (Rebecca Becker)July 22, 2015 at 11:58 am

9. well, I must be looking in the wrong place, because I have now wasted several hours and have yet to find a gig paying more than 10 USD per 1000 words.

JimBob from CanadaJuly 22, 2015 at 6:20 pm

10. Thanks, Christina, for this simple but great tip! Have you generally had success getting writing gigs this way? I ask because I have some professional experience but am not a full-blown expert in my niche (career search), and I wonder if the better-paying sites consider only authors with bona fide credentials. Thanks for any feedback you (or others) might have.

KateRJuly 23, 2015 at 5:43 am

11. Thanks for the tips and comments which are useful and encouraging.

Guest (Esther)July 24, 2015 at 10:45 am

12. I am flabagasted. is this true. is it real?
    christina God bless you. you are a friend a colleaque a partner i will love to stick to.

Guest (AGRIH)July 24, 2015 at 12:42 pm

13. Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your comments and compliments!

For those that asked specific questions:

George S and JimBob from Canada - What were the exact terms you searched for? I'll see if I can help you find something. :) It's possible that you may need to adjust your niche or make your search terms more specific ...

KateR - I'm exceeding the comment character limit so your question will be answered in another comment ...

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 2:41 pm

14. Hi again,

KateR - Yes, this method (and word of mouth) is actually how I came by all my guest blogging/article writing opportunities.

Once you have a few published posts, it seems to snowball - both in terms of more work from the same client and new clients who read your articles.

Best, Christina

Christina GillickJuly 24, 2015 at 2:42 pm

15. Christina, First, thanks for offering this mini-course for aspiring copywriters like me. Second, I found 3 paying job sites and can't wait to finish the lessons and get started writing articles.

Guest (Kim Smyth)July 25, 2015 at 3:56 pm

16. I also spent a few hours searching and I did find anything that paid more than 10usd per 1000 words. I'll chalk it up to me doing something wrote. But I followed the instructions and searched about 5 or 6 different niches

Guest (Kevin P)July 29, 2015 at 12:14 pm

17. How exciting! I knew I was doing something not quite right. Let the searching begin!!!! Thank you so much!

CassJAugust 8, 2015 at 7:43 pm

18. I appreciate the articles being offered for newbies trying to break into this mode of writing.

Sue592January 14, 2016 at 2:19 pm