Wrapping Up Your First Paid Content Project

Christina Gillick here – ready to wrap up my 5-part series on getting paid to practice by writing simple articles and blog posts.

For today’s action step, you’ll need your article outline from yesterday.

So now, let’s move on …

Today’s Action Step: Review your outline and spend 10 minutes writing.

Ten minutes might not seem like much, but if you followed along this week, your outline is probably close to a complete article.

Just by filling in the template or outline from yesterday, you likely already have 400+ words. Many blog posts are only 500-800 words … You’re nearly there!

Now, set a timer for 10 minutes and simply write.

Don’t stop to edit or research anything. If you need a specific statistic, you can leave a blank space and look it up later.

After your timer goes off, count your words. Here’s a free word count tool: WordCountTool.com.

Depending on your client, you may need more (or less) words. Some websites publish short content, while other websites pride themselves on long 1,000+ posts.

If you need to cut words, here are two ways to do that:

• Remove anything that doesn’t support your main idea. This approach – coined by Mark Ford under his former pen name Michael Masterson – says to always stick to one idea, one emotion, one story, and one action for your reader to take.
  • Write like you talk. Most of us use contractions (for example: we’re, you’re, let’s) in our everyday speech. To make sure your tone is conversational (and reduce your word count), look for places where you can combine words with an apostrophe.

If you need to add content (or words), here are two ways to do that:

• Add examples to your points. If you make a point and don’t back it up with an example, your reader may not believe you. Fix this issue – and lengthen your article – by adding examples.
  • Tell a story. Stories keep readers interested in your writing, and they help build rapport. Plus, including a relevant story or experience can make an old topic unique.

When you feel your article is complete, don’t rush off to submit it. Instead, do these three things first:

1. Review your client’s instructions. This might include article length, submission guidelines, or even the subject line to use in your email.
  2. Make sure your tone is conversational. (Read your article aloud or have someone read it to you.)
  3. ALWAYS edit your post before submitting. As a writer, it’s expected that your submitted copy be free of spelling errors and typos.

After submitting your article, repeat the plan outlined this week. As you write more, it’ll get easier, you’ll get faster (and better), and you can charge more per post …

Plus, you’ll get paid to practice your writing! What could be better than that?!

Have any questions? Leave me a comment here.

Published: July 24, 2015

9 Responses to “Wrapping Up Your First Paid Content Project”

1. Hi Christina,

Thanks for all the posts for this week. I have printed down all the instructions, I am going to work on them over the weekend.

I shall let you know the progress next week.

Good night,

Christine

Guest (Christine)July 24, 2015 at 12:37 pm

2. Hi Christina! I hope this finds you well.

It's been a very informative week and I've enjoyed your articles and advice.

Just one little problem...I've searched and searched and i just can't find the website that pays $300 - $600 per article!

Would you be so kind as to tell us where it is or what it's called?

Thanks!

Jim

JimBob from CanadaJuly 24, 2015 at 1:09 pm

3. I believe I am ready to post an article, and it is exciting. Now I need to find a blog to post on.

Maybe they are alike writers. I have been searching, waiting, looking, for a copywriter to do research for.

Maybe I don't need one, just a paying blog that can accept a wide variety of articles.

Guest (NoMoHype)July 24, 2015 at 3:12 pm

4. Bit of a grammar "oops" in an otherwise useful article: "Depending on your client, you may need more (or less) words" should in fact use "fewer," not "less."

Thanks for the tips, though.

Guest (Holly)July 24, 2015 at 4:34 pm

5. Hi Christina, You series was interesting and useful.
    I do write articles/blogs as a new writer, but for a non-profit.

Any suggestions on good places to look for writing paid articles. Any suggested websites?

I tried elance/upwork but there either the job expires or get awarded to lowest bidder (who can write for pennies).

regards, -sravani

Guest (Sravani)July 24, 2015 at 4:57 pm

6. Great! I finally wrote something. How do I submit it?

Guest (Kenny)July 24, 2015 at 5:46 pm

7. Despite fees, or perhaps because of them, lest the moment's too pressured, satisfaction lives in the time-dispersant connectivity of moments 'til death altogether stays time. Or, as death is entropy's last draw on materiality, our container's soul -- on energy's thermodynamics alone -- is our only opportunity to live timelessly one with light. Hence contentment, and especially happiness, like heat is derived from light. Imagination, say. Or that which -- in the manifestation of light's speed -- stops time. Suddenly, money pours in.

Guest (Chris Morris)July 24, 2015 at 6:30 pm

8. I didn't receive The Writer's Life emails for Tue 7/21 and Wed 7/22. Is there any way AWAI can re-send those? I would hate to miss this important subject. The 3 I did receive are excellent.

Thank you!

Guest (Steve)July 24, 2015 at 8:18 pm

9. I am sorry but this is the first email I have seen. I searched my inbox and my spam to make sure it did not go awry but I need the rest of the articles/instructions that I do not currently have. I am very interested in participating.

I love AWAI and am looking forward to my very own Barefoot career.

SmittyJuly 27, 2015 at 10:33 am