The 4 Pillars of B2B Writing Success

Steve Slaunwhite

I’ve been a freelance copywriter for more than 16 years, working mainly with business-to-business (B2B) companies.

During most of that time, the desk in my home office was a tatty antique table-desk with long, spindly legs. It was creaky, scratched up and about 100 years old. I loved it.

Unfortunately, the desk wasn’t particularly stable. At one point in its history, a dog had chewed one of the legs down to about half its diameter. As a result, the desk was rickety at times.

Well, you can guess where this story is going!

One morning, while on a conference call with a client, the leg suddenly snapped. Everything on my desk tumbled off, including a full mug of coffee and my computer. By the time the laws of physics had done their worst, I had what I’m sure was a comical look on my face — still holding the phone receiver (no longer connected to the cord) to my ear.

I should have taken a selfie!

The only good thing that came out of that wonderful start to the morning is that I now get to use it as a metaphor.

Which is …

If you want your B2B writing business to be successful, you need to build it on four strong legs. Or, to use another metaphor: four pillars.

Those pillars are:

1. Commit to a target market.
  2. Never stop prospecting.
  3. Become a linchpin for each client.
  4. Get really, really good at B2B writing.

If you do those four things well, there’s not much that can stop you from building a thriving freelance business.

But, if just one of those pillars is weak, you risk being far less successful than you could be. Worse, you might not even get your freelance biz off the ground.

Whenever I speak to a freelancer who is struggling, the problem always — always — comes down to one of those four pillars. Either they’re not targeting the right companies, or they’re not prospecting effectively (or at all), or they’re not becoming indispensable to their clients, or they’re not investing in mastering their craft.

I don’t want any of that happening to you. So, I’d like to invite you to take a journey with me this week.

Each day this week, starting tomorrow, I’m going to discuss each of these four pillars in a lot more detail, and give you tips and strategies on building a strong, sustainable freelance B2B writing business … . a business that is everything you dreamed it would be.

Care to join me?

If so, watch for my email tomorrow where I’ll be covering the first pillar of B2B writing success: target marketing.

Until then … feel free to share your comments with me.

B2B Copywriting Secrets

Secrets of Writing High Performance B2B Copy

Learn everything you need to know to succeed as a B2B copywriter from marketing your services to writing copy and everything in between. Learn More »

Published: September 21, 2015

10 Responses to “The 4 Pillars of B2B Writing Success”

1. Steve, thanks for your willingness to share your wealth of wisdom on B2B writing success. I'm looking forward to your discussions on all four of these pillars!

OzarkMtnAngelSeptember 21, 2015 at 3:59 pm

2. Can. Not. Wait!!!

Guest (Alicia Greene)September 21, 2015 at 5:49 pm

3. Steve,

Thank you so much for sharing with all of us, the right strategies to be a good B2B. I recently signed for the Barefoot Club, I have always very passionate about writing. What I would love to write is about my passions and one of them is surfing, and traveling. I can't wait to see your message tomorrow. Thank you

Guest (Jorge A Kamkoff)September 21, 2015 at 6:17 pm

4. Steve:
    Listened with great pleasure to your webinar last week. Now I'm looking forward to the next four e-mails you've promised.
    Thanks for the great info and hope to see you at Bootcamp.
    Tom Coalson

Guest (Tom Coalson)September 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm

5. Thank you for allowing me to view this video at a later date and time. I have a portfolio from a mixed media class that I'm considering using in my blog when I finally design it which I've never done. Since I'm an unpaid caregiver for my mother I will need to use Word Press. I hope I can do it justice by using this portfolio which is B2B related using the idea that laptops were being stolen from dorm rooms. I developed a way to alert and deter the process of theft of computers. Again, thanks.

Martha SchleuderSeptember 21, 2015 at 8:34 pm

6. Steve, I am a free lance journalist livensed with The State of Florida and my home County of Collier. I am a full stack developer and self taught Social Media Network Engineer. I own http://www.napleswineaficionados dot com and syndicate to my Social Media Telecomunication Corporation Naples Wine Aficionados. I can wait to read more of your excellent work! This week I am meeting with Kristian Bush and the manager of Boston, Aero Smith, Rolling Stonez et.al.

https://www.about dot me/beau_boswell

Guest (Beau Saint Boswell)September 21, 2015 at 11:30 pm

7. Thank you for allowing me to view this video. Since I'm working as social case worker for the rehabilitation of persons with disabilities I will need to use Word Press. I hope I can do it justice by using this portfolio which is B2B related using the idea that laptops were being stolen from dorm rooms. I developed a way to alert and deter the process of theft of computers. Again, thanks.

Guest (Muhammad)September 22, 2015 at 1:17 am

8. Hello Steve, Thank you for a great Teleseminar last week. I just finished reading your Quick Start Guide. I bought your "Secrets of Writing High-Performance Business to Business Copy" and am anxious to start studying it as soon as I can download it..

I have several important questions.
    Is it possible to have a successful B2B copywriting career while living outside the USA?

Does one need to travel to the U.S. often to develop and maintain a successful B2B copywriting business?

Does one need to be a U.S. citizen to have a successful B2B copywriting business?

I look forward to your e-mails and teleseminars.

Thank you very much for the great information you share.
    Regards, Paula

Guest (Paula)September 22, 2015 at 5:42 pm

9. Steve

I have just begun my journey and I will be looking forward to my part of it with you and your B2B lessons I have signed up for in the weeks to come. I thank you for the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of this exciting aspect of Copy Writing !

Rons Notes and Bits of WisdomSeptember 22, 2015 at 10:27 pm

10. Thanks so much Steve for sharing this knowledge with all. I'm new to copy writing; and I hope I would make a success out of it due to wonderful people like you. Awaiting the four pillars to a successful B2B writing.
    What are the opportunities available to those of us outside the U.S? Also B2B writing seems very technical. How can one get the skills to handle such technicalities? Thanks once again for a great job!

Sekina T OkonuSeptember 24, 2015 at 7:04 am