Mindy McHorse

Five years ago, I put myself on a television embargo in order to find more time to write.

It worked out well and I hit my goals … but it was a very dark time.

When I lifted the embargo and began watching shows here and there, I felt like a sunlight-starved plant finally catching some rays. Comedies were funnier … dramas were more riveting … and just about every sappy commercial I came across spawned a burst of tears.

But I’m not the only one who reacts to video-based stories with every emotion under the sun.

In fact, that’s why video itself has become such a powerful communication tool. It’s also why people who make their living writing video scripts and video sales letters can bring home hefty fees, plus royalties.

So this week, I’m going to tell you about the power of the video and how to incorporate it into your writing repertoire. It’s a smart skill to cultivate, whether you use it simply to promote your own writing services or to launch million-dollar promotions for a client.

Plus, the writing side of videos can be a lot of fun … and bring massive benefits with just a short time investment.

Let’s start by diving into why video-based messages are so powerful in the first place.

For starters, they appeal on multiple levels. As you probably know, some people are auditory learners (they learn best through listening) and some are visual (they benefit from images and reading). Videos satisfy both.

Video messages are also a powerful way to bring a prospect into a story. As the saying goes, facts tell, but stories sell. Videos offer the most powerful medium for storytelling.

Survey after survey supports the idea that audiences prefer video content over other formats. Just one example: Invodo published a Marketer’s Summary last year that showed 65% of viewers watch more than three-quarters of any given video.

Video also increases customer confidence. According to a survey from Internet Retailer, 52% of consumers say that watching product-related videos makes them more confident in their online purchase decisions. Website Magazine reported that 52% of consumers say they’re less likely to return a product after viewing a video about how to use or care for it.

Along with all that, 70% of marketing professionals say video converts better than any other medium they offer, from increased click-through rates to digital conversions.

So why is all this news a big deal to writers like us?

Because when it comes down to it, the key influencer in videos is the script itself. That’s also why this opportunity is one of the most lucrative I’ve seen.

Video sales letters are where the big fees are, but there are also many other ways to benefit from videos — including using them to land clients or promote your own products and services.

Tomorrow, I’ll be back to talk about the basic components of every video sales message. Later this week, we’ll cover how to use video to promote your own writing and marketing efforts (it’s easy and fun, really!).

For now, take a minute to think about how video factors into your life. Are you a big fan of videos found on social media? Do you watch them often, or even share them?

What about product or service-related videos? If you go to a website intending to learn more about something, do you look for a video option? Will you click on it if it’s there?

Be mindful of every video you come across this week, whether it’s through your phone, tablet, or computer. Pay attention to when and why you click on it. Think about what you get from it.

You know, before doing this exercise, I would have said I’m not big on watching product-based videos. Because truthfully, I don’t seek them out. Yet, I do a lot of online shopping … and just this week, I clicked on a Zappos video about shoes (bought the shoes). I also clicked on an Amazon video about a car seat (bought the car seat). All of this tells me I’m a lot more persuaded by video marketing than I realized, and that’s even with knowing something about the field.

What about you? How does online video play a role in your life? Tell me below.

The Makepeace Method for Writing Video Sales Letters

The Makepeace Method for Making a Fortune Writing Video Sales Letters

Video is taking the Internet by storm. It’s why Video Sales Letters are used so often. They work! And now, Clayton Makepeace reveals his make-your-clients-rich formula for writing Video Sales Letters. Learn More »

Published: November 9, 2015

11 Responses to “The Next Great Writing Opportunity: Video Scripts and Video Sales Letters (and Why They Bring Mammoth Returns!)”

1. Hi Mindy, Thanks for this article. I could get interested in offering this service if I just knew more about it. Funny thing-it was earlier this morning I watched an infomercial on TV for Humana's Medicare program. I watched it for the sole purpose of critiquing it. I thought "I can do that". One venue that disturbs me however is the web. I watched one once and gave up on it 45 minutes into it because I had no idea how much more it would go on. This is a problem if all of them are like this.

Nora KingNovember 9, 2015 at 2:47 pm

2. Thank You, Mindy, for an excellent article. I like watching short videos. But I want to echo what Nora said and add to it. I don't mind a video that demonstrates a product while using someone explains what is happening or the benefits. But If I go to a video that just puts the script on the screen a phrase or sentence at a time while the narrator reads the same words, I often force leave the page. I never go back to ones like that. So I'm looking forward to hearing your tips. Thank You!

Guest (Terry)November 9, 2015 at 3:36 pm

3. Hi, Mindy, I spent a lot of years in broadcasting as an engineer, and also produced both audio and video spots. Like you I don't always watch videos, mostly because I can read about an offer faster than the video runs. However, when it come to hard products (like shoes!), or software, I'm finding I do watch them, to get a better understanding of the product. I guess I'm becoming something of a convert. I do think VSL's are more than just a fad. They're here to stay.

Paul BlackNovember 9, 2015 at 3:37 pm

4. Mindy, I had to comment and tell you that it was your VSL for Barefoot Writer that brought me in! Very effective!

SherriCNovember 9, 2015 at 6:08 pm

5. Hi Mindy, Thanks. I'm excited about video. I did a short video to explain a diagnosis/treatment that's nearly always missed, posted it on You Tube and I've gotten responses from all over the world.
    I've practiced some video sales letters, just for practice and it seems easy enough, it somebody else adds the voice.
    I have a particular interest in writing script that SOUNDS natural when read, rather than sounding ... read! DO you address that?
    Rick

Guest (Rick)November 9, 2015 at 6:57 pm

6. I'm with others. Videos are not as good as they are made to be.

First they are too long. I can read the transcript faster. Second, the narrator is reading the transcript word per word. I can read that myself.

Third, they can be boring. You don't get anything out of it, unless you like sitting for an hour listening to an infomercial. I always close the video to read the transcript.

ab1 knobeNovember 9, 2015 at 9:40 pm

7. I agree I usually won't read more than a sketchy look at written material on line even though I'm a writer. When I look at promoting my book Being Human in a World of Illusion, I intend to make a video about the book and use it as a platform for an online business that supports people in knowing what they want.

Guest (truth)November 9, 2015 at 10:25 pm

8. I've been making short videos since the Seventies and must say that video is what prepared me for my writing. Moving with a camera among people as they perform, work, or just talk prepares your imagination for writing the flow of ideas, conflicts, and the revelation of unseen emotions.
    There's really nothing like video, inasmuch as its both a part of and a model for creating more ideas and feelings about life.

Guest (Terry Moyemont)November 9, 2015 at 10:28 pm

9. Hi Mindy, I enjoyed the article and it really spoke to me. Reason being is that I have been in the video industry a LONG time and have all the equipment. However, I never thought about doing Video Sales letters.

I have 3 questions. Now who is on the video itself.. me or the client's sales/spokesperson?

Now the big questions, Mindy. What can one charge for this service? What is the going rate? Assuming that the script and video quality is very good.

Guest (Karel King)November 10, 2015 at 1:56 am

10. The dimensional manifestation of MY work is that which no video could ever truly represent. And yes, while "facts tell but stories sell," all the better are the bricks and mortar whence no virtual reality could ever replace a physical walk-through. Unless of course, it's Dr. Ben Carson exposing the Great Pyramids for what they 'truly' are: Big stone cookie jars for dinosaur snacks.

Guest (Chris Morris)November 10, 2015 at 10:53 am

11. Ditto with most of the other comments. I get really bored with sales videos. I can read the material way faster, so I prefer an article. I feel like I waste my time watching them.However, I'm interested in writing video scripts! Thanks for your informative article.

SalMccNovember 10, 2015 at 2:24 pm