How to Fall in Love with Your Career

Nick Usborne

Hi, Nick Usborne here.

Imagine how life would feel if you truly loved your work — each and every day — and it earned you six-figures a year.

Sounds amazing, right?

Well, over the course of the next five days I’m going to show you how to lead exactly that kind of life.

You’ll learn how to make six-figures as an online copywriter by working only with clients you like and on the kinds of writing projects you do best and love the most.

That means waking up in the morning with a smile on your face and a fat balance in your bank account.

Of course, most of your neighbors and friends have the opposite experience.

They go to work because they have to. And when they get to work, they have to do what their boss tells them to do. Even when they hate doing it.

That’s a miserable way to go through life.

Fortunately, as an online copywriter you get to choose the “I love my work!” option.

You can have the life of a spoiled kid — choosing only the kinds of companies you want to work with, and the types of projects you want to take on.

How can online copywriters be so pernickety? How can we have the luxury of being able to pick and choose?

It’s a supply and demand thing. Economics 101.

Right now the world of online ecommerce is exploding. The growth is extraordinary.

Online sales of products and services have now broken the $300 billion-a-year barrier. And there are literally millions of companies online, competing for a slice of that pie.

A big part of that growth is being fueled by companies moving their marketing budgets from offline media — like print ads, billboards, and TV commercials — to online, digital media.

Last year, in 2015, marketers still spent more on TV than they did online.

But that was TV’s last year of dominance. This year’s spending projections show that online digital spending will outstrip all other media spends, TV included.

This massive influx of money means that companies are desperately in need of copywriters who understand the online environment. They need expert online copywriters.

And right now the demand for online copywriting skills is far outpacing the supply.

That’s how you get to be pernickety! How you get to pick the clients you really want to work with. And why you are in a position to choose the types of writing work you love most.

In tomorrow’s article I’ll tell you exactly how to set about identifying the right clients to go for and the kinds of projects that best suit your strengths as a writer.

But before you go, be sure to scroll down and leave any thoughts, comments, or questions in the comments box. I read them all and reply to as many as I can!

The Digital Copywriter's Handbook

The Digital Copywriter's Handbook

Learn how to become an in-demand online copywriter for companies big and small. Online copywriting expert Nick Usborne shows you how to write web copy that converts. Learn More »

Published: February 8, 2016

41 Responses to “How to Fall in Love with Your Career”

1. Hi Nick! Was is the trick to getting the first client that will pay an on-going rate?

Guest (Norm Jones)February 8, 2016 at 4:29 pm

2. How am I sure of getting copy writing jobs after registering? Who will help me with that?

Guest (Me)February 8, 2016 at 4:38 pm

3. Nick: I live in Argentina and my native language is spanish. I'm nearly retired as Medical Dr. Love writing. Do you think I could have chances to write for US latín people from Arg?
    Thanks.
    Daniel D.

Guest (Daniel D agos)February 8, 2016 at 4:50 pm

4. How can I get started with online copywriting? I am totally new to this and am interested. What is the first step?

Guest (Alison)February 8, 2016 at 5:00 pm

5. Great article Nick,

You laid out the dream perfectly synchronized with the new rush of ad budget heading online from TV and other offline medias.

Guest (Michael Nicholas)February 8, 2016 at 5:19 pm

6. I'd like to take the course for free and pay for it after I get a couple of assignments

Guest (Bob Baro )February 8, 2016 at 5:44 pm

7. Do I need to know what copywriters are? In terms of schooling? Do I need some sort of degree or diploma in writing /copywriting?

Guest (zombiasnow)February 8, 2016 at 5:54 pm

8. Hi Nick! This us exactly the space I want to be in. Currently working on the Accelerated Copywriting and doing the companion series, and involved in COS. Really falling in love with this stuff. I am looking forward to your articles this week, and have myself on the waiting list for the Web Intensive in Austin! Thoughts?

Guest (Chris Marker)February 8, 2016 at 6:30 pm

9. Good Aftenoon Nick, Thanks for your email this afternoon, I am certainly in search of a more satisfying career, and writing is something I which am extremely proficient. I have created many personal "campaigns" and have generally been persuasive enough to achieve my goals. Please direct me to employers that may advance my career! Thanks for your personal attention Nick; Sincerely, Stephanie Fisher

Guest (stephanie fisher)February 8, 2016 at 6:36 pm

10. Okay, Nick.... Was going to be "too attentive to detail" and say that perNICKety should be perSnickety. Oxford has corrected me, once again, however. Presently, am learning lots about how words can attract clients in Money Making Websites class. Falling in Love with my work this week will be a special Valentine, indeed! Thank you for your guidance. PMB

Guest (PMBuice)February 8, 2016 at 6:47 pm

11. Hi Nick! You Rock! I'm almost through the Accelerated Program and really serious about making this my full time 6 figure career! And I definitly want to be in a position to only take the writing jobs I really want. My question: I'm looking at neiching in either non-profit or self-improvment (my two biggest interests). Do you have a sense of which one might be easier to get up and going with and start making money asap? Thanks so much!

Guest (Jessica A)February 8, 2016 at 7:27 pm

12. Good Evening Nick,

I thank you for providing a free forum to post questions to which you kindly reply. How much experience did you have in copywriting before you landed your first job. What did you do to prepare yourself for a career in copywriting?

Trish AdamsFebruary 8, 2016 at 8:05 pm

13. nearly done w/accelerated course.
    however, don't have hundreds to spend on add'l "Bootcamps", seminars, courses that are (constantly) advertised by awai.
    I LOVE travel, am pilot, but can one start on a shoestring?
    thanx so much!

Guest (Mary)February 8, 2016 at 8:14 pm

14. What is the main difference between the Wealthy Web Writer program and Copywriting 2.0?

Guest (Ari)February 8, 2016 at 8:54 pm

15. Thank you Nick for your great advice. I am looking forward to starting this career as soon as possible. The commentators on this page have asked the questions I have in mind,so I will be checking for your comments next week.

carleigh-16February 8, 2016 at 9:05 pm

16. Well done Nick, your one page drew me in and moved me to dictionary.com for pernickety.
    I grew up with persnickety :)
    I'm a low wage earner in debt but a writer at heart. Won't be this month but hope to be an AWAI graduate and copywriter later this year.

Guest (Wm)February 8, 2016 at 9:26 pm

17. Hello, can you be a great writer if you don't know how to write but have a lot to say

Guest (Denise)February 8, 2016 at 10:00 pm

18. Looking forward to your next article, Nick. I have a few of your copywriting programs, and I love your easy, yet effective style of communicating.

That's why your Web Copywriting 2.0 is saying to me "Come-on, what are you waiting for?"

Stephen BolinFebruary 8, 2016 at 10:18 pm

19. I have always enjoyed writing, but never earned a living at it. Now I'm on my own and can please myself I really want to make it work. Watching all the videos and training emails I realised that I have always wanted to write for a living. I love writing, whatever cause. I have written 8 novels, all unpublished and since losing Paul am keeping a journal, which just adds to my desire to make this work. I joined a few days ago and am giving myself 2 weeks to get up to speed, so Onward and Upward!!

HilzFebruary 9, 2016 at 2:26 am

20. Hi Nick,

Wanted to let you know that I have always enjoyed all of your presentations (ones I've had the chance to read or watch).

I look forward to the rest of this week's presentation.

Very grateful,
    -Alex

Guest (Alex)February 9, 2016 at 2:35 am

21. Hi Nick,

Do I need a website of my own for this work??

HilzFebruary 9, 2016 at 2:54 am

22. My forte and passion is Christianity/ Bible. Is there really enough opportunity to make a 6 figure income in this genre?

Guest (CC)February 9, 2016 at 5:58 am

23. Hi, Nick, I'm happily working my way through the copywriting class. I am homebound due to some broken bones in my back. All of my writing is done from the bed and the couch using a laptop. My "work" attire is jammies. I've published many children's stories, which is great fun, but does not bring in any residual income or pay even a fraction of what copywriting jobs can. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts about it being possible to do this business without ever meeting a client face to face. It seems like it may be very doable once I'm established. But for a total newbie with a writing resume of children's stories, is it possible? Any practical thoughts? Or is it even going to be an issue?

Sandra AllenFebruary 9, 2016 at 8:45 am

24. I thought the word was 'persnickety'? :)

Guest (Kevin Ingram)February 9, 2016 at 8:55 am

25. Thanks for your coments. I am looking forward for the others to arrive.JM

Guest (jimmie moore)February 9, 2016 at 9:35 am

26. I have been part of AWAI for a month now. I haven't been able to get anything started. I just continue to be pushed into buying more books from other AWAI members. Nothing tells me how to get started. How do I start receiving clients or put myself on the market.

Guest (Brittany)February 9, 2016 at 1:05 pm

27. Nick. I wish you'd quit deceiving these people. You make it sound like it's easy to get into online copywriting.

You say, "You can choose only the kinds of companies you want to work with, and the types of projects you want to take on."

That's wrong. I do online copywriting - web content, blog articles - but my biggest problem is finding enough clients who actually need my services.

Beggars CAN'T be choosers. You have to take the few projects that you can get, which are few & far between.

Guest (Robert Lindsay)February 9, 2016 at 2:00 pm

28. Hi Nick, I'm starting out as a freelancer while holding down a 45 hour a week job. Two low paying gigs have me revamping websites for local B2C companies. I rather enjoy this, being a techie at heart, and wonder whether there's potential for 6 figures without writing B2B content in an industry related niche. Thoughts? Thanks!

Dick EFebruary 9, 2016 at 7:31 pm

29. Looking forward to what you have to say!

Guest (Daniel LHarwood)February 9, 2016 at 10:30 pm

30. Affirmative. Perfect love in a career is when neither artist nor patron knows who's luckier. And when love's perfect, the now has a much better handle on staying our better tomorrows.

Guest (Chris Morris)February 12, 2016 at 2:00 pm

31. I'm trying to decide between 2 niches. I've noticed that I can get really excited about one (health supplements), but I have experience in another (veterinary health/supplies). Should I just choose one and run with it? Or should I try them both out before deciding?

Kelli SFebruary 16, 2016 at 12:40 pm

32. Hi Nick, Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to learning all that I can from you. Can you please help me decide on a niche? My passions are cooking, baking, day trips, travel, photography and health. I am physically disabled with many health issues. I am always trying different supplements and foods to see if it impacts my health issues. I feel that food and health go hand in hand. Could I have a website like Food Fun Health, or Recipes and Fun? Or should I just have a Recipes and Food site, or just a day trip site or just a Health site? Would you be so kind as to specifically tell me which I should pursue. Thank you!

Guest (Sylvi)February 23, 2016 at 2:43 pm