3 Steps to Creating Your Personal Writing Brand

Mindy McHorse

I recently wrote to you about being authentic versus posturing.

A logical step in the process is to focus on “branding yourself.”

To be honest, the first time I heard this I wrote it off as a buzz phrase. Something not relevant to me, the freelance writer.

I thought personal branding was a lot like concocting a radical image of what you wanted people to see you as, and then pushing it on them. (A lot like posturing, really.)

I was wrong. Turns out, branding is more about being authentic and making sure your message is true to your goals.

So I thought I’d share three steps to creating your personal brand as a writer.

Step 1: What are your end goals?

Start by thinking about your personal brand as the compilation of all the information about you that’s currently on the Web (and especially social media).

Make it your goal to ensure whatever your personal brand says about you is what you want it to say about you.

According to business strategist Glenn Llopis, less than 15 percent of people bother to really define their personal brands. Only five percent work consistently at it.

To be part of that five percent, think about your end goals. The whole point of branding yourself as a writer is so you can make a living doing something you love. So think about what you’re good at and where you want your writing career to take you. Then write a mission statement that spells out what you want to do, what you stand for, and how much you’ll earn.

Step 2: Marry persistence with consistency

Thanks to all the automated blogging and social media tools out there, it's pretty easy to regularly put out messages about what you do and what you know.

Start by making sure your website, social media profiles, and print pieces (like business cards) match up — same name, same tagline if you have one, same specialty.

Then start writing, blogging, and posting useful content that’s relevant to your key audience. Don’t just put words on the screen — make it a point to share helpful, relatable tips.

Step 3: Feedback is everything

Gather a group of trusted peers, or even friends and family if you haven’t yet had the chance to meet fellow writers. Ask them to take a look at your online presence, and to give you feedback.

When they offer you their comments and suggestions, be grateful for it. You don’t have to take everybody’s advice, but remember that their impressions are a good example of how outsiders will perceive you.

A little effort goes a long way . . .

One last tip: Don’t confuse branding with self-marketing. If you ask me, it’s a lot easier — and more fun. Branding isn’t as much about self-promotion as it is about leadership and making sure your reputation is what you want it to be.

It’s also about the value you bring as a freelance writer so others can more clearly understand what you do, how you do it, and why.

Thoughts or questions? Please share below.

Published: March 29, 2016

8 Responses to “3 Steps to Creating Your Personal Writing Brand”

1. Hello Mindy, Thank you for the good tip.
    My End Goals are to pursue on the program of B2B.I want to be good at B2B Copywriting.
    Talking about comments:
    In October 2015, I accepted your invitation to register fot BAREFOOT WRITER CLUB.
    You sent me a sweet email talking about "A Loop Hole"? You told me to write 2 pages what is my dream of copywriting and send it to you.
    I wrote it and send it to you.
    I NEVER EVER RECEIVE YOUR FEEDBACK.
    I was surprised . Can you tell me WHY?
    Thank you . God Bless Jennie jennieth12@gmail.com

jennieMarch 29, 2016 at 12:30 pm

2. starting new and cant afford the publisher fee's. how and what can I do?

Guest (Brian Richards)March 29, 2016 at 1:33 pm

3. sorry should of finish reading your artical

Guest (Brian Richards)March 29, 2016 at 1:37 pm

4. I hear so much about blogging. Could you explain more? Where and how to get started as a blogger?Is there a blogger's site?

Guest (Judi)March 29, 2016 at 2:02 pm

5. Hi Mindy,

If I understand you correctly, branding would be the niche market you identify yourself with. This is how I identify myself. Marketing, on the other hand, is how I promote my services.
    As for myself, I identify myself as a copywriter to the behavioral health industry, which is my "brand"or "niche" market.
    In my marketing efforts I need to market and "sell" prospects on a certain project or package.
    Is that right?

Nora KingMarch 29, 2016 at 3:03 pm

6. Hi Mindy, thanks for tips on branding. I've encouraged some people to think before you write on social media. We don't know who may see what we put out there. It could make a difference for us in some way in the future. Good or bad.

P.S. I enjoyed talking with you at last year's boot camp!

Guest (David Harmon)March 29, 2016 at 5:13 pm

7. Hello Mindy, Thank you for the tips.
    My End Goals are to finish B2B program so I can be good at B2B copywriting.
    Talking about comments, I still wait for your feedback on the 2 pages about "THE LOOP HOLE"you asked me to write .
    I did send to you but never get any reslonse from you since October 2015.
    Have a Blessec day, Jennie.AWAI, BAREFOOT WRITER CLUB, MMW, B2B PROGRAM

jennieMarch 29, 2016 at 5:18 pm

8. Having just now given both thumbs down to a Golden Thread posturing which unduly underscored the power of Donald Trump deliberately NOT being smarter than a fifth-grader, I'm relieved, Mindy, to find your endorsement here for an authenticity positively reinforced, and not one driven by hate.

Thank you.