Four Steps to Make Reinventing Your Life Successful

Will Newman

Welcome back! I’m glad to see you here once again as we look at reinventing yourself … and how to approach your decision carefully and sensibly, so you get where you want to be … as quickly and surely as possible.

If you were with us yesterday, you recall how I've reinvented my professional life.

Reinventing your professional life doesn’t stop with simply changing your career. It takes on much bigger dimensions. Self-reinvention changes how others view you. It changes how you view yourself. Reinvention isn’t a cliché. It is your reality right now.

So, today I’m going to give you insights into how I went about changing my life’s direction … not once, but twice. Both times I made this change, I went through these four reinvention steps. (Although I didn’t realize it at those times.)

Reinvention Step #1. What will your future look like?

When I realized I needed to change from being a biochemist, I talked at great length to my future wife, Linda. Not once or twice, but many times.

Linda provided much needed support — which I’ll tell you about in a couple of minutes. But the biggest service she provided was giving me a need to view the direction I wanted my life to take clearly … clearly enough that I could describe it to someone else.

Even if you have a “Linda” in your life, take this first step by yourself. Sit someplace quiet. Close your eyes, and imagine where you want to be when you’ve reinvented yourself. Imagine how you'll feel … and how others will respond to you once you’ve made the change.

Then imagine what you’ll leave behind. Of course, if your reinvention involves becoming a successful copywriter, you might leave behind debt … or worry … or the 8-to-6 daily work struggle.

You might want to leave these things behind, but they’ve been a big part of your life for many years. Just like pain you’ve endured for a long time, when they’re gone, they leave a hole. In your imaginings, ask yourself if you’re ready to fill that hole with a better, more satisfying life. If the answer is “yes,” then …

Reinvention Step #2. Put your vision — and more — down on paper.

I didn’t understand this step for my first reinvention. But the second time around, I sure as heck understood its importance.

During my 25 years as a teacher, I’d learned the importance of writing out plans, of tracking progress, of letting the written word be a silent promise.

If your reinvented life is worth pursuing, it’s worth writing down. Once it's written down …

Reinvention Step #3. Now that you have a vision of your future, make it real.

How do you make your reinvention real? Ask yourself what you must do every day to make your dream reality. Look for work? Meet new people? Join with others who are doing the same thing?

Make it specific. Make a list of everything you need to do and a schedule for when you’ll do it. Then do it and commit to keep doing it, one day at a time. To succeed here …

Reinvention Step #4. Build a support system.

When I reinvented myself, I was (and am) incredibly lucky. I have a built-in support system with Linda. Many, many people aren't so lucky. If you don’t have a built-in support system, find people who believe in you … who'll support you every step along the way.

This could be friends, family, associates, members of your church or social club. Or if you belong to AWAI or Circle of Success, your support system includes your fellow members, copywriters who're reinventing themselves the same way you are.

Once you have your support system, rely on them to keep you on track (see Step #3) and moving steadily forward. (A fabulous benefit of having a support system in AWAI is you do that for each other.)

Will following these four steps get you where you want to be in your future?

Yes … if you work at it, persist, and have faith in yourself. And tomorrow, we’re visiting with an AWAI member who succeeded in her reinvention — after a 34-year career in nursing.

Please join me then … but now, I’d love to have you comment on today’s article below.

Published: May 31, 2016

13 Responses to “Four Steps to Make Reinventing Your Life Successful”

1. Will, The steps you shared today touched me deeply, and made my reinvention more "doable." Writing it down certainly makes it more concrete and attainable. It goes well beyond ideas and thoughts floating around in my head to a plan, a map of the road to my dream.
    Thanks for all you shared.

[FROM WILL: And writing down goals and schedules reduces stress!]

Donna LandryMay 31, 2016 at 2:02 pm

2. Will, Am attempting to become a paid travel writer. I have been writing for AFAR.com and am satisfied with the stories & photos but now want to move up..
    Your articles are so informative and positive. They are making me more eager to jump into this again.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts.
    Connie Hand

[FROM WILL: You're welcome, Connie.]

Connie HandMay 31, 2016 at 2:39 pm

3. Hi Mr. Newman:

These insights are really wonderful. They are very important to follow.

I like this kind of support.

Thanks again,

Celina

[FROM WILL: I'm glad they help. That's my ultimate purpose in writing.]

Guest (Celina)May 31, 2016 at 3:26 pm

4. I did reinvent because I think I am in many points different from others.I reinvent to invent electric machines to help know how to solve technical issues.
    I reinvent to make me strong and raise up my self confidence.I reinvent to live in both worlds simultaneously.I dream I am flying through air above every country I like.I reinvent because I wanted some more out of my life.I reinvented because God made us strong enough to stand up after every defeat.I reinvented because I love USA.

[FROM WILL: It sounds like you have a strong vision of your future and your purpose. Good luck]!

Guest (ali rely)May 31, 2016 at 3:26 pm

5. Thank you, Will, for this encouraging series that you are writing this week. I have been in the "observation" stage of reinventing myself as a copywriter for a few years now. Having been through the reinvention process before, I totally understand the change in identity, the learning curve, the excitement and fear associated with such a move. I appreciate your delineating the process in such a positive manner.

Thanks again, Beverly

[FROM WILL: Maybe it's time to move from the observation stage. Good luck!]

Guest (Beverly Stephens)May 31, 2016 at 5:05 pm

6. Hi Will, you have made the 'process of re-invention' appear absolute! Thanks:)

I submit, that the support system is predicated on enthusiasm, born of motivation, and displayed in good measure by the one seeking to re-invent.

[FROM WILL: This is an interesting perspective that puts a great deal of the support necessary back on the person seeking support. And this ultimately is where it belongs.]

Guest (Teejay)May 31, 2016 at 7:21 pm

7. Hello Will, further to your thoughts on re-invention. The following piece scored on the Readability Test

Writing Practice: 31/05/16 Making Changes While attending a conference this past weekend ...Their heels are dug in.

Thanks Will, keep up the motivation.

[FROM WILL: Reading about heels dug in bothers me a bit. I feel it's important to stand by what you believe, but be flexible enough to see change and produce change when it's necessary. Thanks for sharing.]

Guest (Will)June 1, 2016 at 2:28 am

8. Think of self-reinvention as duly checking the mutual exclusivity of BOTH a new way of seeing AND being seen. Like the Eiffel Tower serving BOTH the exclamation point beneath which old horizons are duly refreshed AND a high platform on which existing groundings project new bents.

[FROM WILL: Eiffel Tower serving both capacities – a very, very interesting perspective.]

Guest (Chris Morris)June 1, 2016 at 9:09 am

9. Thank you for your insights in re-inventing ones self. It takes flexibility and often going against outside advice. It isn't something that's easy and you have to first believe in yourself, and hopefully you will find those to support you instead of throwing roadblocks up.

[FROM WILL: Perfectly stated]

Guest (Peggy)June 2, 2016 at 7:01 pm

10. i am ready to get start making money thanks for helping me please.[FROM WILL: You're welcome.]

Guest (yvette ambrister)June 3, 2016 at 1:08 pm

11. This is really reassuring. Thanks, Will.

[FROM WILL: I'm glad this helped.]

Guest (Steven R)June 3, 2016 at 3:16 pm

12. This was helpful, Will. I am taking my first baby steps and really needed this. Reinvention doesn't seem so overwhelming when you break it into 4 simple steps.

[FROM WILL: I know we often talk about "taking the leap," but that leap is often most successful when taken in small, carefully planned steps. Congratulations on your baby steps!]

Guest (Donna)June 5, 2016 at 9:55 pm

13. Will,

I assume the first self-reinvention is your transition to becoming a teacher; but you got a job. Wasn't that a success without writing down goals?

I assume your second self-reinvention is your transition to becoming a copywriter.

1. How was the failure to write down goals a setback when you entered the teaching field?

2. What was the difference when you wrote down goals for the second self-reinvention? Did you add tasks to accomplish those goals, as lesson plans would suggest?

[FROM WILL: I learned about goal setting training for teaching the severely disabled children I taught. We were required to have Individualized Educational Plans for every student. These entailed goals/objectives/means of accomplishing them. I was able to take what I learned here and apply it to many areas of my life. Thank you for your stimulating question.]

Guest (RLeech)June 12, 2016 at 2:01 pm