Will Newman

Welcome back!

Yesterday, we chatted about the first of four keys for achieving the writer’s life.

That first, and most important, key is the attitude you adopt. As soon as you decide you’re going to achieve the writer’s life by becoming a copywriter, you must tell yourself “I am a copywriter.”

(If you missed that article, please click here.)

I also said that actions strengthen your belief in yourself. One of those first actions is to tell yourself and others how serious you are about achieving the writer’s life by setting up your home “classroom.”

The second positive action you must take is …

The Writer's Life Key to Success #2:
Schedule for success

Your next major action is establishing two realistic schedules, ones you know you can keep.

You establish the first schedule by figuring out what days during the week you can study.

In the second schedule, you set a timeline for how long it’ll take you to finish any particular program or study course.

Let's look at the first schedule.

Start by setting aside a specific day and time to study every week. If possible, don’t limit yourself to just one day a week.

Figure out when you can dedicate your time and attention to the program … times when you know you won’t be disturbed.

Here’s an essential:

Don't just mentally set those times aside. Write them down on a real, physical calendar.

If you're using an online or computer-based calendar like Google Calendar, schedule your self-study times there as well. Then set up a reminder to nag you that it’s time to study.

Writing your schedule down, posting it, and looking at it regularly says you’re serious about learning what you need to learn to attain the writer’s life.

The second schedule you should set is one many beginning copywriters don’t know about. This timeline for completion of the programs you’re taking. Set a “finish line” to aim for.

How long should it take to finish a program? That depends on the particular program. But Katie, along with copywriters who’ve developed the programs, look at around 10 weeks as being optimal.

Ten weeks may seem like a bit of a push. But 10 weeks is long enough to study what you need without putting a lot of pressure on yourself. And short enough that you remember what you’re learning while moving steadily forward.

Two ways to stay on schedule is first having someone to encourage you along the way. And second, to work alongside other copywriters studying the same material you are. A “study cadre” of sorts.

Let me give you a for instance.

Several popular AWAI programs have what are called "Live Companion Series." These programs meet once a week, usually with Katie or Rebecca or the Master Copywriter responsible for the program.

They’re set up to allow the copywriters taking the program to finish in that 10-week span.

Several other huge benefits make these Live Companion Series programs an effective way to achieve the writer’s life faster. I'll tell you about one of them tomorrow.

But I feel — and I've told this to a number of AWAI members — the biggest benefit is they keep you on track to complete your training so you can enjoy the writer’s life sooner.

The takeaway here: Set up two schedules. One, a weekly schedule where you set aside at least one day (more if possible) and a specific time to study. Then, establish a timeline schedule for completing the program you're studying.

Tomorrow, I'm going to talk about a crucial learning strategy I learned while teaching for 25 years and while tutoring kids in my community over the last 20 years.

Until then, let us know if you’ve set up a schedule for your writer’s life success yet. Comment below to tell us.

Published: August 3, 2016

14 Responses to “The Second Essential Key to Success that Keeps You Moving Toward The Writer’s Life”

1. Good afternoon Everyone,

I have attempted self study on Companion Copywriter's Series .

It wasn't until I started integrating time management tools; that I actually begin USING A BUSINESS APPROACH TO STUDYING.
    NOW , I found a day planner works well with time increments of 15 minutes.
    I changed my mindset from WANNA DO...TO AM DOING IT NOW. I now think of studying as building THE FOUNDATION OF MY COPYWRITING BUSINESS.
    I WROTE MY favorite saying IN COLORFUL LETTERS. 'SI SE PUETE', YES I CAN!!

[FROM WILL: EXCELLENT! Great ideas.]

Guest (Lisa Brock)August 3, 2016 at 2:09 pm

2. I quite appreciate this Will!

Can one really excell in a particular school subject or business trade if he doesn't spend time (quality & quiet) studying it.

I realized this aswell, so i decided to study on things that are important and will impart in my personal life and to do that i set out tuesday's 10-12pm.
    I will set a physical timetable to study as a copywriter, as it will assure me of what I want to achieve and the time frame for it.

An

I di

Guest (Wilfred Ndubuisi )August 3, 2016 at 6:19 pm

3. I have set up my study schedules. They are as follows:
    Schedule One (weekly study days/times) Thur-Sat
    8:00pm - 10:00pm

Schedule Two (10 weeks til completion) August 4,2016 - October 13,2016 I allowed an extra week for completion.

CCT Artist42August 3, 2016 at 9:27 pm

4. Hello Will,

Thank you for your encouragement, I really enjoy your advice.

My schedule presently is at least 2 hours a day and with this I know, very soon I will achieve writer's life I envisage.

I also need more tips and guides as I go along from everyone in the house.

Best regards Kolawole

Guest (Kolawole)August 3, 2016 at 9:45 pm

5. YES! The publishing industry, owned and operated by people who fear what they have accomplished in allowing the amount of sales for THE HOLY WORD of God. So to curtail that affect they have made it hard for a POOR PERSON to be published without having a lot of money! Because it is the poor man/woman who has anything of value to offer this world of GREEDY PEOPLE!

Guest (Devon Rahman)August 3, 2016 at 11:36 pm

6. Good evening everyone, I'm a beginner. Starting my Web Copy writing Companion Series 8/17. Studying rigorously as well. Thank you Lisa Brock, I'm inspired with 'SI SE PUETE'. Love this.
    Hope to attend Boot camp very soon.

Guest (Shelley Gilbert)August 4, 2016 at 5:02 pm

7. Hi Will, when I started writing I set up a beautiful intricate scheduled/time plan on a white board for my study time. But then life started getting in the way and I stopped following my plan. Frustration and guilt soon set in after that. What to do? So I adjusted my schedule making it flexible and simple so that if life threw a curve ball at me, I could handle it. I schedule time in my diary and leave a block of a couple of hours unplanned so if I need to adjust things, I can. I have found that keeping things simple and flexible are the keys. Now I am meeting my goals and my writing has improved because of the daily study and practice.
    Thanks for all your help Will, your tips and articles are invaluable.

Guest (Jean Brewer)August 4, 2016 at 6:12 pm

8. Dear Will thank you for making yourself available.
    it is so encouraging that because I have had the program for a month now and not got far - I have a schedule for 6 days a week and for the next four weeks as from that point I will be visiting family but I feel that when I have a client in that time I will be able to manage so I will take advantage of everything that is on offer

thank you again kind regards Zij ps I am totally open to any helpful comment!

Guest (Zij Shaan)August 4, 2016 at 10:13 pm

9. Thanks mr.Will for the piece of advice. Really inspiring.

Guest (IKECHUKWU)August 7, 2016 at 8:28 pm

10. I have always struggled with setting time tables and sticking with them. The reason for most of my struggles in school. I did not commit the time to my studies and I suffered quite a bit for that. One thing my teachers would always say is that you have the potential. I did not put in the steady work. In this last lap of my life, I have to use it because I just learned that it is the sure bet way to success at anything.

paulAugust 8, 2016 at 10:42 pm

11. Will, Thanks for the idea of making a sign: "Do NOT disturb" and "Copywriter at work". I am a little dismayed because I have individuals who don't read. They always seem to "need me" when I'm at the computer.
    My schedule is planned around my son's therapies. If he has an early morning therapy, I work for an hour after. If his therapy or appointment is in the afternoon, I can steal two hours in the morning. My schedule changes because of this. This creates a challenge, but I keep pushing forward.
    Thank you for your experience and wisdom.

[FROM WILL: Your comment accentuates that any effective schedule must have flexibility built into it. Good thoughts.]

La Mara VillaAugust 25, 2016 at 6:10 pm

12. I have always struggled with committing to schedules especially if it required studying. For most of my school and college life, I under performed. You could have done way better my teachers and professors would say. That discipline I realize is key to achieving any skill and being good at it. The pain about failing or doing poorly at something when you know you can do much better can be nagging. I hope I don't fall into that trap again.

paulSeptember 12, 2016 at 1:53 am