You Will Not Achieve The Writer's Life … Until You Believe These Four Magic Words

Will Newman

It's so good to see you back here today as we continue looking at various aspects of Circle of Success.

I'm gonna take a break today from essays our COS members submitted for this series. (If you missed our first two essays this week, I urge you to click here and here. They’re entertaining. And well worth reading.)

Instead, I want to tell you about a core secret to becoming a successful copywriter … a secret that will help you achieve the writer's life faster.

To tell you the secret, I have to wind the clock back about nine years. That was when Katie Yeakle asked me to work with Denise Ford to develop training materials for the Circle of Success.

A lot of hard work. A lot of late nights. A lot of enjoyment and satisfaction.

A “dry run” draft

In the early days, we’d grouped headlines and leads into one Targeted Learning Program.

To test-drive the effectiveness of the content, we did an initial "dry run" as a live training in Chicago. (I have a confession. I was working on the training’s final version until two hours before I had to leave for Chicago.)

As I recall, we had about 20 COS members at that Chicago training.

I started in a pretty typical fashion for live trainings with small groups. I had people introduce themselves. And I asked them what they did for a living.

There were a wide range of responses to what people did. We even had one truck driver, if I remember correctly. But by the time they left, they all had one response to my question …

It was four magic words.

Fast forward several years

About four, maybe five, years ago Penny Hunt — a COS member who’d just finished the Headlines Targeted Learning Program — sent me the following email.

While walking to my car with my husband about two weeks ago, I asked him, “At what point do you think I can leave my job and really become ‘this copywriter thing?’”

He stopped and looked at me and said, “As soon as you stop calling it ‘this copywriter thing.’”

The biggest thing I took away from this interaction was to TAKE ACTION … stop calling yourself something else. Start calling yourself a copywriter. That starts the story for you.

The same goes for you. You will forever and always be in a state of "becoming a copywriter" until you tell yourself you are one.

Now, I don't mean you can automatically transform yourself into a copywriter by telling yourself that while sitting in your living room watching reruns of The Walking Dead.

Or telling yourself that simply because you bought The Accelerated Program — or any other AWAI program.

You need to open the materials and start reading. Study a control every single day. Pick up a pen or turn on your computer and START WRITING.

Then — because you’ve made this vital commitment to your success — you can say the four magic words that Penny and the participants in Chicago said at the end of our shake-out training.

Four magic words I hope you’ll say as soon as you finish reading this article …

"I am a copywriter!"

Have you told yourself these four magic words, yet? I’d love to hear you say them. Comment below and tell me … and the rest of our readers.

Published: October 26, 2016

24 Responses to “You Will Not Achieve The Writer's Life … Until You Believe These Four Magic Words”

1. Hi, Will,

Thanks for reminding me! Now that I'm published, I can believe it.

I AM A COPYWRITER!

Lynn

Guest (Lynn Little)October 26, 2016 at 12:39 pm

2. Hello Mr. Newman, I want to take a moment and thank you for your insights through these articles. I have not yet said these four words but they will be a part of my daily vocabulary as I make this paradigm shift form endless warehouses. Thank you again and I enjoy your writing very much.

Guest (James)October 26, 2016 at 1:07 pm

3. Thank you for the articles and the words of encouragement.

OluwatoyinOctober 26, 2016 at 2:01 pm

4. Great story and quite a reminder that we have to believe it ourselves for others to believe it. Thanks Will.

I AM A COPYWRITER!

Guest (Carol)October 26, 2016 at 2:29 pm

5. Hi Will,

I am able to declare this openly and in these four words very clearly when I am among other AWAI writers. Without saying so openly, I know the writers in my local writing group perceive that I am "evil and going to hell" because I have stained the creative art of writing. When among family and friends however, I get strange looks. Even with my elevator speech I have to defend myself and assure all of these folks that what I am doing (B2B)is something other than "junk mail".

Nora KingOctober 26, 2016 at 2:59 pm

6. Thank you, Will. I thought of myself as a copywriter in theory but not in practice. I'm almost a copywriter ... I'm working on it ... I'm a copywriter in the making ... Then last week I became a Virtual Bootcamper. Wow! It was amazing. Energizing. And then I took the plunge. Today I became a member of the Circle of Success. Yep. I am a copywriter! See you next year at Bootcamp in Delray Beach. :)

JudyB-RaleighOctober 26, 2016 at 3:15 pm

7. I am a copywriter.

Guest (LaToya Yates)October 26, 2016 at 10:13 pm

8. I AM A COPYWRITER!!! Yes, I am taking the leap in saying so. I feel free and happy to say that!!

Guest (Yolanda T Ross)October 26, 2016 at 10:23 pm

9. Thank you so much Wills,I'm encouraged and I make bold to say I AM A COPYWRITER for life.

Guest (Peace-Ofure)October 27, 2016 at 8:12 am

10. I must become a copywriter. It seems to me that I get on this high & then the reality of bills & temporary work slips in. In my current temp. job, I see what Grant writers & content writers do. My current assignment ends on Friday. I haven't gotten past reading the intrduction to the advanced writing course. This is it. I wAnt my income to be 100% from copywriting. This is it.
    Regine

[From will: It will be easier to move on with the Accelerated Program if you plot your progress with a schedule. Don't make it unreasonable but make it strict enough to let you finish in 10 to 20 weeks. Find ways to reinforce yourself for milestones along the way. Good luck.]

Guest (Regine Baptiste)October 27, 2016 at 12:27 pm

11. I am a copywriter!! I am working every day to make that be as real as possible for me.

Sandra K LynneOctober 27, 2016 at 1:50 pm

12. After fews months of reading your writings here.. how interesting its for my first comment to be - I AM A COPYWRITER

Thanks Willnewman

Guest (Oluwasola)October 27, 2016 at 2:01 pm

13. Mr. Newman, thank you for this inspirational post! I absolutely love it! And as I'm just beginning this journey, I need to hear, see, and say these words...often! Thank you so much!!

I AM A COPYWRITER!!

Pamela MillerOctober 27, 2016 at 3:35 pm

14. Thanks a lot for waking me up from slumber.I am indeed a copywriter.It's a pity I'v not taken the bull by the horn but I'll definitely do that with this encouragement.

Guest (julia eto)October 27, 2016 at 6:16 pm

15. Will,

Thanks for the focus.
    When you work for yourself, it is often difficult to give yourself permission to succeed.
    All the best.

Susan Wilkins I Need a Website.net

Web Copy TrapOctober 27, 2016 at 6:54 pm

16. believing in oneself is the first step to break the rule. I am a copywriter.

Guest (Rasak)October 28, 2016 at 11:39 am

17. I to am a copywriter. Thanks Will

Guest (B Story)October 28, 2016 at 2:43 pm

18. Hi Will, Just wanted to say that I always find myself reading your material. I am so thankful each time I see your name or picture on an article as I know I am about to be encouraged and inspired, lifted to a new level of confidence. This one was no different. Thank you Will for your constant uplifting. I AM A COPYWRITER!

Cindy ReddingJanuary 27, 2017 at 4:13 pm

19. Wow. Just @%^#$% WOW.

I AM A COPYWRITER!

...it is said that all things happen for a reason. I have so much more work to do but I'd LIKE to think that there was a reason why I didn't read this until now.....

Thanks Will

Peter

Peter SSeptember 21, 2017 at 12:35 am

20. I am NOT a COPYWRITER-I AM AWAI TRAINED COPYWRITER, please.
    I am chating already with my first client.
    He wrote 'thank you for you interesting Mail...I am not sure you wrote this, is it one of those online Hectographic gigs, If you did, I will like to work with you soon.'
    AWAIs guess what...I hit his hot button with another with another arrow-pointed mail. My mail headline reads "I Can Triple Your Car Sales...
    What else He immediately booked a date...so what? we're meeting tomorrow 22/09/2017 at 10 am (Cameroon time GMT +1.

Guest (Lawrence)September 21, 2017 at 7:13 am

21. Hello Will, I hope you don't mind me calling you Will instead of Mr. Newman. I don't really stand on formality. After reading some of your articles, I feel you are a kind and compassionate person. I can only re-iterate what the person in an earlier post said. I always look for your name on a post because your post and articles just make my day. Keep up the good work of encouraging people about writing. Again thank you and may GOD bless you.
    Leonard