SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT
Congratulations to the 2018 Bootcamp
Spec Challenge Winners

“I no longer feel like I’m in the process of “becoming a copywriter”  … I AM a copywriter!

AWAI is always in need of copywriters to help craft sales copy, web content, and more. And there’s no place better to find them than our annual FastTrack to Copywriting Success Bootcamp and Job Fair.

This year we found at least four more to work with thanks to the Bootcamp Spec Challenge. Think of it like a try-out, where attendees show their copy skills with an assignment that could be used in an actual marketing campaign.

It’s always a tough choice. But here are the winners of the 2018 Bootcamp Spec Challenge. They get the chance to work with AWAI … and a check for $1,000.

Julie Bryant Rick Boatright Ricki Linksman Suzanna Fitzgerald

Aside from her upcoming work with AWAI, Julie Bryant is kicking her copywriting career into gear in other ways, including leveraging contacts she made at Bootcamp.

“I plan to follow up with the people I spoke with at Job Fair and send them some ideas or specs. I'm also about to launch a blog I've been trying to set up for awhile, based on my former work in the restaurant biz. I'm finishing up a cookbook to go along with the blog,” says Julie.

“I've set up a website for my husband's woodworking business, which I just wrote a small how-to book for. I want to write some more ebooks/how-to books as well. Just continue on with what I'm doing now and keep submitting things, see where it takes me. AWAI was nice enough to give me this opportunity, so I need to really get my act together and prove myself!”

For Rick Boatright, the spec challenge win is a game-changer.

“I no longer feel like I’m in the process of ‘becoming a copywriter’  … I AM a copywriter! Even though I’ve already had a few clients this year, something shifted in my consciousness,” says Rick. “Because now I don’t feel like I’m chasing jobs anymore. I feel like I have a valuable service to offer that can make a lot of money FOR MY CLIENTS!”

The Bootcamp Spec Challenges are only open to Bootcamp attendees. Be sure to watch for news about AWAI’s 2019 FastTrack to Copywriting Success Bootcamp and Fair taking place May 14 – 19, including how to submit a spec, here: www.awaibootcamp.com.

Published: October 27, 2018

10 Responses to “SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT Congratulations to the 2018 Bootcamp Spec Challenge Winners”

1. Congratulations to the Bootcamp winners!
    Great inspiration for other writers aspiring to become a top grade copywriter. AWAI is the best place one can be. Write your path and begin walking, you will always have someone to help you along.

Shantanu ChatterjeeOctober 27, 2018 at 9:55 am

2. Congratulations to the newest four superstars! Well done Julie, Rick, Ricki and Suzanna!
    All the best for your future successes.

CeceliaOctober 27, 2018 at 11:05 am

3. Awesome job... Congratulations to everyone!!

Tim GeigerOctober 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm

4. Congratulations to the winners! It's very exciting to see noobies like me make another step forward in their copywriting careers with accolades and some cash too.

Jack HollandOctober 27, 2018 at 11:18 pm

5. Winning this Spec Challenge was the fulfillment of a goal I set for myself one year ago--when I earmarked it as a goal I wanted to achieve in one year--and thanks to all the excellent instructors from Rebecca, Katie, Pam, Heather R;, Heather L-M, Nick, Will, Roberta, Sandy F, Steve S, Denise, Helen, Barb, Jen A, Jen S, Ted, Clayton, Josh, and the entire AWAI, it became a reality. Had I not been so stunned I would have mentioned each of you on the stage when I was called up, so this is my chance to say this is all credit to all of you. You are the best and I am honored to be your student. Ricki Linksman

Ricki LinksmanOctober 31, 2018 at 5:54 pm

6. Thank you to all fellow writers for your encouraging comments. It shows the power of the hot seats and peer reviews and doing the homework assignments, applying the feedback from the instructors, not being discouraged by failure, and persistence and passion to improve day by day!

Ricki LinksmanOctober 31, 2018 at 5:57 pm

7. A shout-out to Suzanna Fitzgerald--it was only a year ago we both won the PWA Summer of Clients Challenge together and here we are together again taking another step forward! Congrats!

Ricki LinksmanOctober 31, 2018 at 5:59 pm

8. Congratulations to all of you!

Cindy MaeNovember 1, 2018 at 6:43 am

9. When first taking AWAI writing courses, I noticed the $1000 Spec Challenge and made it a goal to win in 1 year. Hearing Rebecca and Katie call my name as a 2018 Bootcamp Spec Challenge Winner was like a dream come true! It shows anything is possible with passion, hard work, and not being disheartened by comments to improve in hot seats, peer reviews, and feedback from AWAI assignments. Thank you to Rebecca, Katie, Pam, and ALL AWAI instructors who've been the wind beneath my writing wings!

Ricki LinksmanNovember 1, 2018 at 8:16 am

10. When I was called up as a Spec Challenge Winner at 2018 Bootcamp I was so stunned I became speechless--which all my instructors know is a rare moment to be at a loss for words! So, I want to write here what I would've said when I came to the stage: this win is a testament to all AWAI instructors whose courses I've taken. The win isn't just mine but that of the AWAI instructors--the wind beneath my wings: Rebecca, Katie, Pam, Heather R and L-M, Sandy F., Charlotte, Ilise, Nick, Josh, Clayton, Steve S., Will, Jen A and S, Roberta, Denise, Helen, Barbra, Jim W., Ed, Bob B,, Mark F, Christina G and Cara F & 2017 Virtual Bootcamp members, and the entire AWAI staff! Thank you.

Ricki LinksmanNovember 1, 2018 at 8:25 am