Matthew Turner, Esq.:
General Counsel, Agora Inc.
“A copywriter who uses this guide will grasp the fundamental legal issues surrounding their copy. This is a HUGE advantage. The reason is simple: if you understand the issues, you then know how to write powerful copy that is both legal and aggressive. Those who do not have such a grasp end up either breaking the law or having boring copy.”
MATTHEW TURNER, Esq. is one of the most seasoned attorneys in information publishing today. He’s been the General Counsel for Agora Inc., the $300+ million international publishing powerhouse, for 15 years. He’s also AWAI’s attorney.
Matt has successfully litigated cases against both State and Federal regulators as well as defended lawsuits filed against his company by private individuals. All of these cases dealt with marketing copy. He oversees a staff that reviews thousands of pieces of copy every year. His entire career is about making copy safe and explaining difficult areas of the law to writers like you.
Articles by Matt Turner
- What’s the Difference Between Plagiarism and Copyright Infringement?
- Matt Turner, Agora's In-House Legal Counsel, Answers Your Questions
AWAI Programs by Matt Turner
Make Sure Your Copy Isn’t Putting You at Risk
Like it or not, aware of it or not, there are some legal restrictions on what you can put in your copy. And, most junior copywriters — and even some senior ones— make mistakes that could put them — or their clients — at risk.
The Legalities of Copywriting Made Simple, written by Matthew Turner, General Counsel for Agora, Inc., is a down-to-earth guide that contains dozens of easy-to-understand strategies, tips, and tools that help you write copy that sells without landing you — or your clients — in the middle of a legal landmine.
The guide contains simple case studies, checklists you can use to help you make sure your copy is above scrutiny, and plenty of copy exercises to help you fully grasp what you’ve learned. It even provides a simplified guide to legal considerations within the financial newsletter, dietary supplement, and income opportunity markets.
Not only will this must-have reference help you minimize or eliminate your risks, but it is so straightforward and detailed that you’ll be able to help many of your clients determine what is acceptable and what is risky in their marketing campaigns.
With over 15 years of direct marketing and marketing copy experience, Matt’s insights on the legal issues that affect direct marketing can help you …
Enjoy peace of mind about your copy …
Become an indispensible part of your clients’ marketing team …
Break into niche markets sooner …
The Legalities of Copywriting Made Simple reveals so many things that very few copywriters know:
- You’ll understand what you can and, more importantly, what you can’t write in your copy, even when you’re working in specific niches.
- You’ll understand the “four legal commandments of copywriting” and how to comply with them every time you sit down to write.
- You’ll know the legal differences between writing marketing copy and editorial copy (e.g., newsletter articles), and understand the laws acting as checks and balances for each.
- You’ll understand the laws governing marketing copy in specific niches: Financial, Dietary Supplements, Income Opportunity, and E-book Publishing and what you need to do to comply with them.
- You’ll know the major court cases that have changed the landscape of the direct-marketing industry to make it what it is today.
- You’ll learn a generous amount of tips and secrets from top copywriters and marketers on how to write strong copy in specific niches.
- You’ll understand your legal considerations when working with clients, and how to avoid being personally liable in various suits and cases.
- And much, much more …
The Legalities of Copywriting Made Simple: $199